Fast food workers plan Thursday strike f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Potential? I have a friend who works for McD's corporate and this is where it is going. Strike or no strike.

Why do you need a counter person? The answer is you don't, just as you don't need onsite order takers for the drive-through either.

And it's not just McD's.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I see a potential work-around for fast food restaurants:
578159.jpg

We were on a longish drive and felt like iced tea. For $1, we drove up to McD and placed an order. The drive up voice was a bit odd, almost computerish, but we didnt think anything of it.

We pulled forward, as this was a place where there were two order spots in the drive thru. The voice at the next unit asked the same question in the exact same way.

We wondered if it was actually voice recognition SW taking the order...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have been taught to be the best no matter what your job/ pay is. The fact that an employee doesn't care because they aren't making enough ($7.25) tells me they have a terrible work ethic.

+1

Yes, 19-20$ an hour in Montreal isn't great. I think what pulls it down as well is our (comparatively) high minimum wage of 10$ an hour that causes inflation. Our MIN wage is 20k a year here!

So our rents in Montreal for a decent apartment with 2bdrm is 900$+ a month, not including heat or utilities. Renting a room here is 500$+ a month.

I own my own place in Dorion off the island so I am not affected by that, but in Montreal a "decent" salary with our high taxes and high real-estate costs would be closer to 30$ an hour.

At 20$ an hour here your take-home pay is ~565$ a week. So the taxes are a big bite.

I texted my friend and he said that is not being done at any McDonalds that he knows about. Could be of course, just doesn't know.

That would be a really tough environment for speech recognition software, way beyond my iPhone. Just imagine at 2:00AM when the bars close
crazy.gif
"Please repeat the last request". "Please repeat..." About then the guy in the car behind starts yelling...

You would want Easter eggs in there too of course. Next time you are there ask it to tell you a poem or ask it if it loves you. See what the response is
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We were on a longish drive and felt like iced tea. For $1, we drove up to McD and placed an order. The drive up voice was a bit odd, almost computerish, but we didnt think anything of it.

We pulled forward, as this was a place where there were two order spots in the drive thru. The voice at the next unit asked the same question in the exact same way.

We wondered if it was actually voice recognition SW taking the order...

I have been taught to be the best no matter what your job/ pay is. The fact that an employee doesn't care because they aren't making enough ($7.25) tells me they have a terrible work ethic.

I remember making $6 an hour at Mcdonalds 9 years ago. Yeah, wasn't great pay. Was about $185 a week after taxes for a full 37.5 hour week.

I didn't particularly care for flipping burgers. However, I was getting paid to do so, so I did the best darn burger flipping I could.

Still wasn't good enough. One of the managers put me on "cleaning" duty as a means to punish me. It backfired. That Mcdonalds was never cleaner!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I remember making $6 an hour at Mcdonalds 9 years ago. Yeah, wasn't great pay. Was about $185 a week after taxes for a full 37.5 hour week.

I didn't particularly care for flipping burgers. However, I was getting paid to do so, so I did the best darn burger flipping I could.

Still wasn't good enough. One of the managers put me on "cleaning" duty as a means to punish me. It backfired. That Mcdonalds was never cleaner!

Wow...you are the one in ten (my opinion) of Americans these days that has integrity. That attribute is rare today.

Nice.
Almost fifteen years ago I worked part time at a cafe (HS student) earning similar. All of the money I earned went to pay for car insurance. It was $2000/year in NJ for the absolute minimum coverage for a new driver.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Wow...you are the one in ten (my opinion) of Americans these days that has integrity. That attribute is rare today.

Thanks!

My parents taught me the value of an honest day of work at a young age. I was 16/17 when I worked there.

I didn't think it was a terrible job. The worst part was trying to keep the grease out of my car seats.

"Whatever it takes!" Because having an arrest and conviction will so help with job prospects....

$15 an hour? I think they are aiming too low. Why not $25 or $30? That would give them a better than living wage which they deserve right?

How easily these poorly educated people can be manipulated into eliminating their own jobs for the gains of the elected.

People are paid for productivity, not social gain.

Some fast food workers don't realize the taxes, loans, vendors, insurances, utilities, etc... etc the owner of a franchise must pay just to turn a profit.

They just see a 'wealthy' business owner paying them $9 an hour, not $15 an hour.

Most workers have no understanding of what it takes to run a business, which is why they are workers.

They think they do though, and will tell you as much.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Most workers have no understanding of what it takes to run a business, which is why they are workers.

They think they do though, and will tell you as much.

The guys at the top get complacent though. The trick is keeping politics out of the office and retaining the 20% of bright people who do 80% of the work.

+1

The fact that the ones who do care draw the same $/hr as the ones who don't says a lot about American business.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
dlundblad said:

The fact that the ones who do care draw the same $/hr as the ones who don't says a lot about American business.

Well said!
And so true, at least in my experience, what I have always found across ALL my jobs is that the best and most diligent employees that do the lion's share of the work and get the
SAME exact pay!

33.gif
!

Disgusting and true.

Last edited:

+1

I agree, but few have that work ethic, and fewer teach it to their children. More and more what is taught is that someone owes you something.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

+1

I agree, but few have that work ethic, and fewer teach it to their children. More and more what is taught is that someone owes you something.

Fun Fact: 1/3 of the US population is on some type of welfare. That does NOT include social security.

Work Hard. Millions on welfare depend on you!

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

Fun Fact: 1/3 of the US population is on some type of welfare. That does NOT include social security.

Does it include the Earned Income Tax Credit? 401(k) tax deferrals? We all get some sort of subsidy if you look hard enough.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

Does it include the Earned Income Tax Credit? 401(k) tax deferrals? We all get some sort of subsidy if you look hard enough.

I get student loan interest deducted from my taxes ... and I still pay 30% of my income in taxes!

30% of my gross pay goes towards retirement which I'm glad to contribute to.

But eventually I'll pay taxes on that nest egg / pension / IRA / 401K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back