Opinions wanted: used family car options for $15K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

My family has decided to get rid of the Porsche and the Lexus and replace both with a highly reliable and utilitarian family car. I want something I don't have to think about save for routine maintenance. We need something bigger than our current Jetta SportWagen and are considering minivans and SUVs. A paramount requirement is safety.

As this car will likely have all manner of food and drink spilled in it, we're happy to go used. If I'm going used, I want to go cheap and have capped the cost at ~$15K. I have no aversion to a mid to late 00s car provided it's reliable. Three rows would be nice but aren't absolutely necessary. Vehicles that have sparked some investigation are:

-Toyota Venza (a minivan that doesn't totally look like one!).
-Honda Odyssey (ugh - but practical)
-Acura MDX (would need to be older to fit the budget)

Anything else worth considering? Your opinions are most welcome.

you don't say how many people you are looking to haul - but the following choices come to mind: Toyota Sienna, Toyota Highlander, HOnda Pilot

08-09 Ford Taurus X
Ford Flex
Based on a Volvo Derived Platform, (similar to the underpinnings of s60/Xc90 etc)
the 3.5l v6 makes ~263HP. mated to a 6 speed auto, FWD versions get ~28MPG Hwy.

Last edited:
Used low mile Honda Accord or if you need SUV and more capacity get a Honda Pilot. Highly reliable, low cost maintenance, holds resale value if you take care of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
you don't say how many people you are looking to haul - but the following choices come to mind: Toyota Sienna, Toyota Highlander, HOnda Pilot

Sorry, 4-5 on average with room to spare is the goal. I also have a strong preference for something SUV or minivan from a height perspective. Loading/unloading little ones is tough for a 6'4" later in life dad.

Throwing this one out for feedback: 2006 Volvo XC90. It hits the height, hauling and safety and cost requirements. Apparently the 2.5T is a decent engine but would love your insight.

That's an odd jump, from Porsche and Lexus to used for less than $15k.

Not sure what you get, and realize that a $15k car is at least 50% depreciated, so you are that much closer to needing routine maintenance, bigger parts repaired, etc.

The closer you get to a car with a cheap/low starting price, the newer and further from needing work it will be.

With the average new car price around $30k, you can see my point. And obviously a car that sells new for $18k is going to be newer/better than one that sells for $30.

I think the Venza is ugly and impractical. If youre giving up that much fuel economy and acquisition dollars, might as well get full utility via minivan.

The MDX is prettier, but since it sells for more to begin with, you will be getting an older one.

The Odyssey, at least around here in an affluent state, tends to be the $40k+ leather touring versions. Houston as I recall is very keeping up with the joneses type of a place, so I suspect the more expensive models prevail there.

Honestly Id look for an off lease Dodge caravan. And learn to have a recurring savings so that you can pay for repairs and acquisition when needed. I trust youre not financing a used car?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That's an odd jump, from Porsche and Lexus to used for less than $15k.

Maybe for some, but not for us. We postponed having kids and instead traveled the planet while we were young and healthy and wealthy (40+ countries, lived and worked in 3 of them). Now our priorities have changed and we're looking for something practical. I'm starting a business and incurring some risk so a cheap but reliable vehicle makes sense should things go [censored] up.

Quote:
Honestly Id look for an off lease Dodge caravan. And learn to have a recurring savings so that you can pay for repairs and acquisition when needed. I trust youre not financing a used car?
Agree completely. Best bang for the buck.

Take a look here, 2013 Dodge Avenger SE 4D Sedan
Cruise Control, Auxiliary Audio Input, Overhead Airbags more...No-haggle price$14,599

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=10752790&AVi=0&No=0&Rp=R&D=90&zip=28227&N=4294959708+4294963070&sP=0-18000&Q=4d070c4e-2afd-490b-9d5d-2d3e729a09ae&Ep=search:results:results%20page

I bought a similar van last year. My 7th. Dodge minivan.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest

Why ugh? This is probably the best choice! Compared to anything with comparable space for passengers and cargo, its dynamics and comfort are equal-or-better, and its long-term operating costs should be equal-or-less. It just makes FAR better use of its footprint than SUVs and crossovers do.

I fully intend to be in your shoes in the next few years, and the only vehicle I'm looking at is the Mazda 5 -- but only because that's the only way to get a manual transmission. If I grow out of my allergy to automatics, it'll probably be an Odyssey or nothing.

Maybe I'd look at a used Mercedes R-Class. Maybe.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Quote:
Agree completely. Best bang for the buck.

Nowhere near as good to drive, though. For someone coming out of a Cayman S, that might be an important point.

Vehicles that have sparked some investigation are:

-Toyota Venza (a minivan that doesn't totally look like one!).
-Acura MDX (would need to be older to fit the budget)

I like all of your choices. The Venza would be the "numbest" to drive, and the MDX the most engaging. I assume, here, that you'd be looking at the 2007-2013 generation MDX. We own a 2005, from the previous generation. Ours has provided excellent service since new. If you'd like to read about it, here is a 100,000 mile report I wrote late last year.

The Odyssey is also a fine choice. I know many people with Odysseys and all really, really enjoy them. They drive excellent for how large they are, and swallow lots of kids/cargo with ease. The higher trims came with an engine that would shut down a few cylinders for better fuel economy, but the penalty is an increased potential for oil sludge if maintenance intervals weren't minded to the T. The lower trims (LX and EX) did not have this system on the engine, and there are no issues with those engines. The Honda V-6s have timing belts. They're cake to change, but if that's not something you'll do at home, factor that cost in. The Toyota engines (I-4 and V-6 both) have timing chains.

It's not on your list but I have been very happy with my charger as a family vehicle.
It's got the DVD player in the back sets for my 2 kids. Headphones so I can be listening to music while they watch their shows. Leather interior cleans up easy.
Its fantastically comfortable with telescopic wheel and adjustable pedals,a must for a 6'4" man.
It drives like a dream. Laps up washboard roads without spilling my coffee,gets 30mpg on the highway at 70 with cruise set and its got a hemi,which coming from the vehicles you've had may be a bit slower than what your used to but as you've said its a family car.
I can seat 5 adults in my charger comfortably and went to the coast last month with 5 of us,in that car for 4000 miles in 6 days,and most of those miles were in the mountains.
The car hauled all of us and a trunk full of clothes without so much as a burble.

So my vote is a charger,rt of course. If you get the SRT it won't be as good on fuel, however if your buying an SRT fuel isn't really a concern is it.

My opinion is a 2008 Pilot sounds like it would suit you perfectly.
I have owned one since 2010. Flawless so far, lots of room, not a minivan, very safe. Pricing should be around what you need as well these days. Plus it's the last year of the original body style and mechanics.

The CX9 is a crossover.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Why ugh? This is probably the best choice! Compared to anything with comparable space for passengers and cargo, its dynamics and comfort are equal-or-better, and its long-term operating costs should be equal-or-less. It just makes FAR better use of its footprint than SUVs and crossovers do.

I fully intend to be in your shoes in the next few years, and the only vehicle I'm looking at is the Mazda 5 -- but only because that's the only way to get a manual transmission. If I grow out of my allergy to automatics, it'll probably be an Odyssey or nothing.

Maybe I'd look at a used Mercedes R-Class. Maybe.

For sure the Odyssey is best out of the vehicles you mentioned. It's reliable, practical, and will swallow whatever stuff you can throw at it.

I found the Venza to be awkward for several reasons. It has a strange shape and isn't very good at hauling people or cargo.

The Mazda 5 with manual transmission sounds good too. You should be able to get a newer one and still enjoy driving a bit.

Honda Ody and Acura MDX you'll have to save about $900 for 105k maintenance(timing belt, water pump, plugs, valve clearance inspection etc)!!!! Trust me I have the 2007 MDX which I really like otherwise and got a 4year old/82k for your exact price point although it had some [censored] body work on a door. MDX requires premium and gets about 2mpg less than a regular fuel minivan around town. My main reasoning behind MDX was decent 7 passenger vehicle with good AWD to get us up to ski home with typically drifted in driveway and steep 500' elevation hill climb before.

If Venza interests you Sienna is the way to go by a far shot. Maintenance costs and reliability are reasonable and the resale is not out of control. Pretty numb to drive but very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back