Fast food workers plan Thursday strike f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should corporations have all the power? If the employees can unify to the degree that higher wages have to be paid, more power to them. That's how capitalism works. If it drives their employers out of business, then, that is also how capitalism works.

Something tells me that even if, capital IF, they were to win the wages they are after product prices would not suddenly jump to a degree that would deter the obese, and less than obese, masses.

The paraphrase various things I have seen, with all the jumping to conclusions we perform it's a wonder we're not all fit.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
hopefully it will be like "the day with out mexicans" we had here a few years ago. traffic flowed nice,no lines at the gas stations etc

Hahahahahaha. I remember that day. Back in 05 or 06 or something. I lived in San Diego. I thought "man, this is such a great day!"

Falken,

Are you still in aerospace, if not what field are you in ?

I thought aerospace / CNC manufacturing paid well...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Falken,

Are you still in aerospace, if not what field are you in ?

I thought aerospace / CNC manufacturing paid well...

Bollocks. I made a pathetic pittance (less than the fast food people demanded) while 'manufacturing engineering' F-35 P&W F135 parts.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Sorry for asking .... what is pittance ($ per hour) ?

fourteen dollars

Originally Posted By: surfstar
"work ethic" question/clarification:
- how many of you are browsing/posting from/at/during work?
- are you being paid more than minimum wage?

laugh.gif

do as I say, not as I ...

No BITOG for me at work with the exception of break time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Falken
Right now I am working at a lighting company doing drafting and control plans in the engineering department.

Considering that the cost of living in Quebec (especially Montreal) is higher than most of the USA and most of the rest of Canada, that wage....sucks.
frown.gif
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And you don't need the food preparers in the kitchen either. It can all be just one big vending machine...

1.1284026217.fast-food-vending-machine.jpg

Quite widespread in Japan already, from what I hear.

Not at all new...Automats were common 40 years ago!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Chris142
hopefully it will be like "the day with out mexicans" we had here a few years ago. traffic flowed nice,no lines at the gas stations etc

It would have been the perfect time to "profile" and deport all the illegal aliens that day. Could have caught millions of em!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

My wife suggested a Daisy Cutter.

Yes, she was serious.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I can't understand how McDonalds is still in business; their hamburgers are some of the worst tasting on the planet. Over here we have Rally's, Carls Jr, and IN-OUT to choose from among a slew of other establishments and they're all better than McDonalds.

Those aren't national chains...only the big 3 (McD, BK, Wendy's) in this area, though Five Guys has opened several stores in the last few years.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I see a potential work-around for fast food restaurants:

578159.jpg

Romeoville, IL, Illinois Highway 53 south of I-55. The kiosks don't look like the picture, but they're already up and running at the McDonalds there.

Other than high school kids working their first job, there is no reason for anyone to work for minimum wage.

The biggest problem with many of these people is that, rather than take charge of their own lives, they want to continue flipping burgers or working the chicken fryer and hope that someone decides to pay them more.

There is a huge amount of opportunity available if someone is creative and is willing to put forth the extra effort. If selected wisely, skilled trades can earn close to a 6 figure wage. There is a company not far from us that is advertising on the radio for diesel mechanics-top wage is around $73,000/year.

My wife and I have a part time business that we work a few weekends each summer. Granted it isn't year round work, but for a part time business we average about $100/hour when amortized over the hours we actually work. It requires a skill level beyond flipping burgers, but if we can do it anyone else can also do it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I can't understand how McDonalds is still in business; their hamburgers are some of the worst tasting on the planet. Over here we have Rally's, Carls Jr, and IN-OUT to choose from among a slew of other establishments and they're all better than McDonalds.

Those aren't national chains...only the big 3 (McD, BK, Wendy's) in this area, though Five Guys has opened several stores in the last few years.

You should get Hardee's soon in New England. Hardee's was purchased by Carl Jr's a while ago and makes a decent FF burger.

Hardees burgers are awesome... much better than BK.

I worked a trade and my final year (Dec 2008) was $86,000 but that was with occasional OT. Decent money with an Associates Degree.

I have a vocational certificate and a degree related to my trade. The maximum I have made after leaving service was 56K and that was in 2013. This year I will not make this and I was really offered a position in the Telecommunications/Electrical engineering field making 13.00 dollars an hour from a major Telecom provider. I just told that manager I am not motivated by money and it is not a high priority in my life. But 13.00 a hour is beyond terrible even in this area of the country. I guess some people have a different perception of reality than mine. When the median income is 51K a year for the average American household in 2014 100K mechanic jobs are few and far between from my prospective.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Only about 25% of the folks making minimum wage are teenagers these days. There are a lot of hard-working folks out there who are trapped in these dead-end jobs. They make too much to get assistance for job retraining, can't afford the cost out of pocket, and even if they could they can't afford to take the time off to pursue such retraining.
They'll no longer be trapped when they're unemployed?

I'm not sure about your "trapped" talk. Most places I see with a bunch of minimum wage workers also have signs posted in the windows looking for managers because no one in the store has any interests in moving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back