Just An Open Message To SOPUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really looked for Pennzoil Ultra, but it is pretty hard for me to find as well. I think I can do the site to store issue, but I have always just went to M1 or PP.

I have only seen Pennzoil Ultra on the shelf once. It was at AZ when they were liquidating all their synthetic quarts last winter for either $1 or $3 each. They had 6 quarts of PU for $3 each. I passed.

Originally Posted By: Datsyuk
SOPUS distributes Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State, god knows what else.
Wouldn't they all be similar somehow? Poured from the same hose, probably, and branded differently.

I don't think so.

SOPUS distributes Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State, god knows what else.
Wouldn't they all be similar somehow? Poured from the same hose, probably, and branded differently.

SOPUS is not just the distributor for these products.

They own the well, the refinery, the gas pump, everything.

You need to look at some VOA's for these products and make a more educated decision.

Educate me, please.
If I take full synthetics 5w-30 API SN GF-5 of those 3 brands (may add Castrol, Valvoline or Mobil to that mix) and put them in a identical brand new engines, run them at the same rpm, change oil as recommended after xxx miles, then engine with what oil will fail first? After how many miles and why?
Some kind of proof (not from oil manufacturer) would help as well.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Can you buy some Ultra on Walmarts site do the Site to Store option?

THis...

I've been using Pennzoil Ultra for several years and now Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is nowhere to be found in my area either. I buy oil strictly at Walmart. No other place has 5 qts jugs cheaper and you can't buy any Ultra on Walmart.com. The old formula is obviously sold out and the new formula is sold "in stores only".

Educate me, please.
If I take full synthetics 5w-30 API SN GF-5 of those 3 brands (may add Castrol, Valvoline or Mobil to that mix) and put them in a identical brand new engines, run them at the same rpm, change oil as recommended after xxx miles, then engine with what oil will fail first? After how many miles and why?

Thanks in advance.

Take a guess. You have a 1 and 3 chance of guessing the correct answer. Really this is the best answer anyone can provide you.

PUP 5w30 is available on eBay from an Infinity dealer in Virginia. $6.50 + $1.00 shipping for each quart. I got 6 qts. last month from them. Could not find it locally.

Don't laugh. Last year traded in my rubicon for better-half's GX460. Based on - is tgmo made in heaven - using it. Test drove an escape s only add ford solar tint already applied for an opinion for someone else. Traded in Blue Beauty (2006 H3-couldn't rotate tires-what guy pushes Constar for a flat tire). Escape s reminded us of our 2002 focus wagon se. Fun to drive.

Referenced Patman on another forum but remember Caterham saying he preferred platinum over ultra. Last fill in h3 was some dusty ultra at a Walmart. Butt feel difference. Been here long enough to know motorcraft 5w20 is respected but defaulting to pppp at Walmart since pupp is indeed hard to find or being re-invented. Plan on going to the limit in the duratech 2.5-no turbo no DI. No offence tig1 but I am one of those Mobil 1 was noisy in my gm 3.5 and 3.6.

Originally Posted By: tired_old_dave
Test drove an escape s only add ford solar tint already applied for an opinion for someone else.

Huh?
Traded in Blue Beauty (2006 H3-couldn't rotate tires-what guy pushes Constar for a flat tire).

Huh?

You're right my second post on Bitog sounds crazy. Vehicles thread caused me to join after just reading here for at least nine years. It was the juxtaposition of events about focus vehicles and our fond memories for our focus wagon then trading in our H3 for a base escape. New vehicle and therefore oil changes and check in at Bitog.

I didn't want to post in the divorce M1 thread so I "dumped" here. Yes, I am mad I can't find pupp. I remembered a while back I believe Catherham said he liked the add pack in platinum better. Yes I could do motorcraft blend but I went from mobil1 to Valvoline syn to pennzoil platinum then the pup in the h3 before trade in to ford.

Butt feel. TGMO in her gx460 and pppp or pupp in the 2.5 duratec escape.

When you guys say "Ultra", do you mean Pennzoil ULTRA PLATINUM? Pennzoil no longer makes the old Ultra. It's either Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now.

You're right my second post on Bitog sounds crazy. Vehicles thread caused me to join after just reading here for at least nine years. It was the juxtaposition of events about focus vehicles and our fond memories for our focus wagon then trading in our H3 for a base escape. New vehicle and therefore oil changes and check in at Bitog.

I didn't want to post in the divorce M1 thread so I "dumped" here.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to post in the divorcing M1 thread either. If I want to change brands I just change brands. Starting a thread with such a controversial title, to me, is just short of trolling.

PUP just showed up here in Maryland Wal-Marts but that's about it. I have yet to see it in an auto parts store. I'd be annoyed too, if I was in the "not available" area of a product I wanted. Now we're in a place where PPPP and PUP have been reformulated from the previous offerings, and I'm not sure what to get. I was going to try PP on a vehicle next OCI and now I'm not sure what to do. It's not an existential crisis, though. I just wish we had more hard data on both new oils. When I lack data I have a choice of being a pioneer (identified by the arrows stuck in back) or sticking with the known. Usually I stick with the known.

Ultra simply was not available around here at any of my normal outlets.

With M1 at 22.00/5 quarts and Maxlife at 17.00/5 quarts all my needs are met. Splitting hairs on motor oil simply isn't worth the time, I have a yard full of fleet vehicles and a driveway full of our cars, trucks, boats, and toys.

My time is far more valuable...

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I didn't want to post in the divorcing M1 thread either. If I want to change brands I just change brands. Starting a thread with such a controversial title, to me, is just short of trolling.

I completely agree. The baiting, plus brand and viscosity bickering can become tiresome. Thankfully there are many level-headed members that right the ship from time to time.

Educate me, please.

Thanks in advance.

I've got the cars purchased along with the oil required.

I built a $2,000,000 facility to conduct the testing and hired 4 mechanics to do the annual tear downs and analysis.

I'll PM you in 15 years with some qualitative results.

In the meantime, you can take a look at VOA's for each of the motor oils on your list and see what characteristics are most important to you and make a choice.

And, by the way, where do I send the bill for your education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back