New Ford Transit E350 with Ecoboost 3.5--Oil Rec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely love these vans... I think they look amazing.

Where does Ford specify different models for the Transit?

I don't see anything on their web site for the 150-250-350 designation like the E-series vans.

You mentioned this was a 350, but I only see XL-XLT

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I don't see anything on their web site for the 150-250-350 designation like the E-series vans.

I really don't know. I saw it on the dealer paperwork and on a badge on the rear of the van. Maybe they are using it there to tie into the brand awareness of the Econoline, so that people realize it is the replacement. I also thought it might be in reference to the 3.5 EcoBoost, but then the base engine would have to be called the E370, which would just be confusing and would make no sense Mine is an XLT.

Last edited:
I didn't realize Ford was doing away with the E-series vans...

I guess since they took away the big diesels, the Transit can do almost everything the E-series can do.

The Ford commercial truck site shows the Transit is also available with dual rear wheels as well.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I really don't know. I saw it on the dealer paperwork and on a badge on the rear of the van. Maybe they are using it there to tie into the brand awareness of the Econoline, so that people realize it is the replacement. I also thought it might be in reference to the 3.5 EcoBoost, but then the base engine would have to be called the E370, which would just be confusing and would make no sense Mine is an XLT.

It's based on the GVWR of the vehicle.

Once you select options, size, etc, it's given a GVWR and then designated 1,2,350

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I drove a brand new 6.0 extended Express about a hundred miles form Columbus to Dayton on Friday.
It certainly drove better than the '94 Ford (only 70K actual miles!) I took to Columbus to be sold at a salvage auction, but I can't say that it drove very well.
Decent power, but very tall gearing and no sense of straight ahead.
The thing required more steering corrections than an Aerostar, and that's pretty bad.
I'm sure that this newer design Ford will be much better to drive.

Since I have a whole driveway full of those, I am calling this complete baloney. The van you drove had front end issues, bad tires/pressures, or something wrong with it. It is most definitely NOT a representative example.

They are rock solid on the freeway even at high speeds...

Wow, my wife put about 800 miles on it in a week. It will probably be more like 1500 miles when I make the first OC. I'm going with Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, and a Motorcraft filter.

I haven't been able to figure out if this thing has an oil life monitor. I guess I have to read the instructions.

This engine is really sweet. We're averaging about 15.3 mpg with mostly city and suburb driving. That's about 4 mpg better than the Express. I can't wait to get it on a road trip. My wife absolutely loves it, as do my kids.

Hrm. I could use a new van, since I did away with my Dodge extended. Dare I dip my toes into the Ford brand again?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Hrm. I could use a new van, since I did away with my Dodge extended. Dare I dip my toes into the Ford brand again?
laugh.gif

Hey, I've had all of the big 3 and they've all been great. (Mostly GM, though.) I've got a soft spot for GM engines, but this EcoBoost might be my favorite of all of them, if it proves durable. Up to now, my favorite was the 270 hp version of the 5.3 in my '99 Silverado. This Ecoboost, though, hits the power right off the line and keeps pulling hard right up to redline. It doesn't seem to have a weak spot anywhere in the power band. I haven't really wrung it out yet, though. That will come after about 8k miles or so. The way my wife is piling them on, it won't be long.

I like the idea of having a twin turbo engine. In the high alts, the computer will be able to compensate for the thinner air, and you're getting noteworthy fuel economy for a gas engine in a vehicle that large. I have no doubt that all of the F-series EcoBoost mods will be available for that engine, as well.

Might have to take a trip to the Ford dealer today.

I went ahead Sunday and changed the factory fill oil at 1500 miles. I went with M1 EP 5w30. I'll probably change it out again at either 3 or 5k, then I'll follow the OLM from there. That's been essentially my routine with every vehicle I've owned.

Man, this engine is awesome. It really moves this thing around effortlessly and quietly. It just makes me smile realizing it is only a 3.5 liter V6. I smile every time I press the gas pedal. Hat's off to Ford on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back