Any tips on reupholstering center arm rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to attempt to reupholster the center armrest on my Accord. I have owned the car for almost three years now, and the the padding on the armrest has been almost non existent since I got it. The fabric is very clean, but worm as well. I was looking into buying a new armrest but they are very $$ and hard to find. So, I am going to attempt to reupholster it, and I will be upgrading from fabric to leatherette. Just wondering if there are any tips or advice as far as what product to use for adhesive, and for padding. I have never upholstered before so it will be an experience, but I want it to turn out perfect. I have already disassembled everything and put it back together before ordering the fabric just to make sure I could take it apart without damage. Here is the material I bought, its pre-cut.
0307ACCBEIGE.jpg

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Get a quote from the local upholstery shop, first.

If I dont feel confident I can do it when the material arrives, then I might get a quote. I am going to overlay the material first to makes sure it matches up.

...yeah, like what brand of foam or padding to use.
In years gone by Omalon by Olin was the "Cadillac of Foam". Whether or not it was the best for a relentless elbow is another question.
Perhaps mere layers of cloth or burlap is what you want in that location. Structure with a little give capped with a layer of 1/2" foam to keep the fabric smooth atop might be the ticket. Kira

Ok, just finished tearing off the old fabric, and cleaning most of the glue off...then put on the foam. Its much thicker than the OEM but its not excessive. Hope the pre cut leatherette will fit over it fine! I should have a finished product late Monday if it comes in the mail on time.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Don't rush it.

I'll try my best, the pre cut leatherette was $20.00 and this loctite spray is heavy duty...one shot, one try, has to be right. So I will take my time.

Ok, the fabric came in later than expected so I just finished up...well almost. Need to touch up the corners with super glue. Ill try and post pics tomorrow. It looks pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back