95 Nissan Hardbody V6 1st gear grinding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my daily driver.
Bought it with 141k.
Currently has 183k, and hasn't missed a beat until recently.
Sometimes when sitting completely still I will shift from neutral to 1st, and it will grind.

At 1st I thought it was me, but after about 3 more times I knew something was up.
When I got the truck I immediately changed trans fluid ,and went with Amsoil MTG GL4 75w90.

Recently changed fluid less than a 1000 miles ago using the same fluid. To attempt to cure the problem I installed a new clutch Slave, and Master cylinder this wknd.
Drove about 95 miles ,and sure enough it did it again tonight.

Clutch does not slip at all in any gear, but it is possible it could be causing my problem right?

Thanks for any feedback.

It is definitely the correct fluid. I have used it in several Nissan's. I actually changed the factory fluid at 5k from the 75w85 to the Amsoil GL4 75w90 in my 2012 6 speed.

Works flawlessly.

There have been two threads recently (one mine) with similar behavior, and it was either a bad slave (which you've taken care of) or a failing throwout bearing.

At 183k I'd think that your throwout bearing has performed well and it's time for a new one.

Question: is it at all difficult to shift into first when stopped?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
There have been two threads recently (one mine) with similar behavior, and it was either a bad slave (which you've taken care of) or a failing throwout bearing.

At 183k I'd think that your throwout bearing has performed well and it's time for a new one.

When it's working right no its not difficult , but when this grind occurs it is when I am stopped. No grind has occurred once under way in any other gear.

If your truck is a 4x4, then you're supposed to overfill the transmission. Nissan published a TSB about it, although I believe the symptom was a "whining" noise.

Originally Posted By: Anthony

When it's working right no its not difficult , but when this grind occurs it is when I am stopped. No grind has occurred once under way in any other gear.

If you've spent some time waiting at lights with the clutch pressed, I'd suspect the throwout bearing. While it's all apart, you can also get a new clutch too!

If you've spent some time waiting at lights with the clutch pressed, I'd suspect the throwout bearing. While it's all apart, you can also get a new clutch too!

Thanks for the feedback. I usually sit at lights with the clutch out, but yeah the grind would occur as soon as the light was green.
I'm probably going to get a clutch job this week.

Anyone have any experience with Luk Clutch components? I'm probably going to use Aamco ,and that's what they said they would use.

Anyone have any experience with Luk Clutch components? I'm probably going to use Aamco ,and that's what they said they would use.

I advise against Luk.

I put one in my 94 Hardbody and ended up replacing it two years later with a Centerforce I. That was six years ago and I haven't had any problems since. In my opinion, the Centerforce is worth the extra money, especially if you tow or haul heavy loads, but I suppose that all depends on how long you plan to keep the truck.

Where is the clutch engaging in relation to the floor? If you are grinding, it is obvious the input shaft is still spinning when you are trying to put it in gear. A worn clutch will not cause that. If the pedal engages low to the floor, you may be able to adjust it and get a little more life out of it. Then again, at that mileage it may just be better to renew the clutch for reliability.

Use the Centerforce clutch. I put them into all of the D21's (Hardbody) I've done, and never had one come back yet.

The clutch bleeding on those trucks tends to be a really sensitive process. Skip the gravity bleed, and do the traditional pump-and-bleed. Other technicians have noted the same thing, and I have worked on other trucks where the technician attempted a gravity bleed, gave up, and left the truck with a clutch that engages 2 millimeters from the floor.

I don't know if you have pulled the transmission yet, but do not forget the pilot bushing. If I remember correctly, Nissan was having some problems at that time with pilot bushings. It would bind the input shaft to the engine and not allow it to stop completely with clutch disengaged. Various levels of problems noted with that.

Mike

I ended up letting Aamco do a full clutch job.
I let them use their Luk clutch kit since I heard more good than bad about them. They used a Luk Rep Set which is supposed to be the OEM equivalent.

The pedal is much stiffer than the stock clutch was. Hoping it will get a little less stiff with some break in miles, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't.

I've put about 115 miles on the truck since I picked it up yesterday. About 80 hwy miles. Everything seems to be functioning as it should. No grinds or anything. Clutch engages nicely, and there is no slippage.

One thing I noticed is that from around 2000-2500 rpm under a slight to moderate load in all gears there is a noise present that I am certain was not present before.

It's not terribly loud. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's somewhat like a groaning noise.
Is it normal for new clutches to be slightly noisy? I'm hoping with break in miles it goes away.
Here is a run down of what all was done.

New clutch Disc
Pressure Plate
Throwout Bearing
Pilot Bearing.
Resurfaced flywheel.

Rear main seal, and front transmission seal changed.

Thanks for any tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back