What is the reason behind "better" reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think much of it depends on the outlook of the manufacturer. If they have a short term view, it's "let's get it through the warranty period..."

If a manufacturer has a longer view, it's "let's reduce warranty costs and encourage repeat customers."

Originally Posted By: Blazered
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I am under the impression that Aisin (Toyota?) and BorgWarner (GM?) make more reliable automatic transmission than their competitors (i.e. Honda, ZF, Chrysler). This seems to be at least the common perception in the last couple decades.

I would imagine patents that old are expired and they should be able to all make reliable transmission for a long time by now.

And can you show the data that that supports this impression?

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/

I would imagine patents that old are expired and they should be able to all make reliable transmission for a long time by now.

Due to corporate culture, some companies will never make quality equipment.

Please stop blaming the 'bean counters'. Management is the problem. Management approves bean counter compromises, but even that is not the problem.

The problem is after a 3 year development cycle crushed into 2.5 years, management says "ship it" the moment the first prototype finally squeaks by testing. "We'll fix anything else that comes up under warranty and in later production".

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Please stop blaming the 'bean counters'. Management is the problem. Management approves bean counter compromises, but even that is not the problem.

The problem is after a 3 year development cycle crushed into 2.5 years, management says "ship it" the moment the first prototype finally squeaks by testing. "We'll fix anything else that comes up under warranty and in later production".

Still boils down to just plain greedy executives answering to
equally greedy shareholders.

So the Teachers Pension Fund is a greedy shareholder?

The family man investing for his 401(k) or IRA is a greedy share holder?

Can't paint with such broad brush strokes and expect to be taken seriously.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Still boils down to just plain greedy executives answering to
equally greedy shareholders.

aisin has shown up in fords like the fusion and are quite good. The taurus was a pos when it came to trannys and I've heard impalas can be iffy to. I've never heard anything negative about ZF trans

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aisin can make some good transmissions! I never understood how one company can do so well, yet others make very bad transmissions.

JATCO also makes good transmissions.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Not patents, it is obsessive attention to detail and extreme quality control, the Japanese way...

And that explains Borg Warner (referenced in the OP) how?

And it certainly doesn't explain Honda's transmissions, LOL!
grin.gif

Don't worry, the Honda fan boys always find a way to explain things away.
Remember how tight their knickers got when i found the sludge problem the first time? It was like someone just gave them an atomic wedgie. WOW!
crackmeup2.gif

If the Japanese way always worked, how would you explain Diamond-Matic transmissions?

Anyway, I always thought transmissions that were problematic were either or both:
1. Too cheaply made
2. Not enough time was given to properly design and test that transmission

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back