24" Unbreakable Breaker Bar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question here perhaps, but before standing on a 6ft bar, bending it and risking injury to yourself and damage to the fastener, why not just use an appropriate impact, or even move to 3/4" drive?

I know the cost hurts, but it's much safer and to me, failed tool- inflicted injuries hurt too...

I wondered the same too, which is why I quit after standing on a 3' pipe and not getting results. But I doubt my impact would fair any better, as I have a cheapie.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Dumb question here perhaps, but before standing on a 6ft bar, bending it and risking injury to yourself and damage to the fastener, why not just use an appropriate impact, or even move to 3/4" drive?

I know the cost hurts, but it's much safer and to me, failed tool- inflicted injuries hurt too...

We were just being stupid and seeing what broke first. After I broke that one, I bought a 3/4'' breaker bar. Around here, power tools (electric, battery, etc) aren't allowed in the junkyards.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Is there such a thing as a 1/2" drive, 2-3 foot long breaker bar that can take abuse ? The ones I have seen at Sears and HF look weak.

Snap On has one. It is worth every penny I paid for it. Even if I put a piece of pipe to it, it takes my abuse. Great tool. No garage should be without a forceful breaker bar..

Had to get a rusty hub nut off my old Dodge Caravan awhile ago and used a Craftsman 1/2" with a 4 foot cheater pipe and bent it into a pretzel. The Sears store clerk gave me another without blinking an eye. Might pick up a HF 24" after reading all these positive reviews.

Another thumbs up for the HF 1/2" breaker bar. Purchased it for the purpose of doing the timing belt for my Accord a few years back, now it's my "go to" tool for taking lugs off. Think I paid about 10 bucks for it.

Another +1 for the HF 1/2" breaker bar.

As stated previously, anything can break under severe pressure but based on my own experience and by reading through a lot of the previous reviews of them, they are an absolute steal for the money.

I have to admit that I am purchasing more and more Harbor Freight stuff these days. I have several of their breaker bars including a 3/4 inch drive which I use with a 1/2 adaptor for when I really need to crank on something. I haven't been let down by Harbor Freight stuff yet. For what you pay for their tools, there really is good value there. Hey, I remember when Japanese cars were a big question mark in the US. Look at the reputation they have now. I think China and Taiwan made tools are improving by leaps and bounds . Still not a match for Snap On but certainly way better than they used to be.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not tight, seized. On my 20 YO BMW. One of these days Ill break a breaker bar head trying to release. They tend to seize up every time...

I did hit a piece of metal and was on the side of the road jumping on the OE lug wrench, which wasnt long or stiff enough. No luck. So something longer is desirable.

Anti seize or other lube is your friend. Before I get flamed, I have used lube (usually AS or oil) on lug nuts for 30 years and then under torque them, never ever had a problem. Also spoke with a couple mechanical engineers who confirmed lube on threads will not cause them to come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back