3.6 Pentastar OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow Bitogers,

I'm 9k miles on the Caravan and still waiting for the 'change oil light' to come on. I've done some towing (it's our adventure-mobile) and a lot of stop and go (it's a commuter) and I am curious what other pentastar owners are seeing with respect to OCI's when following the oil change light?

It has a large sump (~6.5 liters) so I'm not concerned about running a 10k OCI with dino, assuming it will light up at 10k
grin.gif

Our company has 2 - 2014 Ram Tradesman C/V's with the 3.6 Pentastar- currently changing @ 6k each.. they see a lot of idling and haul quite a bit of tools and equipment.
But the owners manual CD states the following.
" Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first. "

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Our company has 2 - 2014 Ram Tradesman C/V's with the 3.6 Pentastar- currently changing @ 6k each.. they see a lot of idling and haul quite a bit of tools and equipment.
But the owners manual CD states the following.
" Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first. "

I've seen that 10k mile language in my manual as well. Therefore I assume it will light up at 10k miles. If not I'll go ahead and change it regardless.

I've got right about 12000km on the Charger. Have not seen the message as yet, did my first change at 6000km and the second at 8000 with a UOA. Reset the computer both times.

My plan is the same as you, I'll let it go till 16k then change it. I might just not reset the OLM and see when it goes off.

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
I have one as my company truck. It went 10k on the factory fill and consumed a bunch. Wasn't my idea!!

Interesting. Our van hasn't burned a drop (that I can tell on the dipstick) in 9k miles thus far. I did break it in like I stole it... which some believe is the best way to seat the rings.

I changed the FF out early... can't remember exactly how many miles, didn't reset the OLM and let it run until the light came on which on the first OCI was ~8k miles.

If this was a 4 quart sump I would be concerned leaving it in for the full OCI (early xterra anyone??). But at the 6.5 quarts I dumped in on the last OCI there should be plenty of life left.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I've got right about 12000km on the Charger. Have not seen the message as yet, did my first change at 6000km and the second at 8000 with a UOA. Reset the computer both times.

My plan is the same as you, I'll let it go till 16k then change it. I might just not reset the OLM and see when it goes off.

Since the manual states no more than 16k KM it should according to logic light up no later than 16k km. I think I'll do the same as you just to verify how it behaves.

Originally Posted By: jayg
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ks_#Post3462538

Thanks man! Always good to read other Pentastar threads.

I am really enjoying this engine.... once you get past the startup noises LOL

The mileage we're seeing on highway trips is impressive... my wife averages 8.1 L/100KM on her 1500KM trip up north a couple of weeks ago. That's impressive for a big van!

I'm on the other side of the fence, I don't have as much faith in Chrylser logic, just look at some threads about the 8.4 uconnect! GM dropped the mileage all together from their manual for my '06s, just the one year requirement. I'm thinking it will go till whenever the computer says change but we'll see.

I agree, awesome engine! Mine's fairly quiet in the summer, exhaust is a little harsh till it warms up. My average over almost exactly a year is 9.6 L/100KM with about 60% highway. The G5 was 9 with maybe a bit less highway use and took premium. Great as far as I'm concerned. With the 8-speed and a 2.65 rear gear it just purrs on the back roads, 90km @ 1200RPM.

webfors, did you catch my UOA?

Forgot I was going to add I've gotten it down to 7.5 L/100KM on the display, which is fairly accurate compared to calculating it out. That was a week when it just basically went to work and back, not much city use at all.

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6 speed manual with the Pentastar. THe oil change light just went on at 9400 miles. I changed the oil earlier with Mobil 1 5w-20 and a mopar filter. Great Engine so far..

I'm on the other side of the fence, I don't have as much faith in Chrylser logic, just look at some threads about the 8.4 uconnect! GM dropped the mileage all together from their manual for my '06s, just the one year requirement. I'm thinking it will go till whenever the computer says change but we'll see.

I agree, awesome engine! Mine's fairly quiet in the summer, exhaust is a little harsh till it warms up. My average over almost exactly a year is 9.6 L/100KM with about 60% highway. The G5 was 9 with maybe a bit less highway use and took premium. Great as far as I'm concerned. With the 8-speed and a 2.65 rear gear it just purrs on the back roads, 90km @ 1200RPM.

Yeah I don't have any engine noises on startup but that exhaust is tinny when first started, After a few minutes it warms up and smoothes out the tone.

I'm averaging 22 mpg hwy in my 2 door with a Kargomaster full congo cage and a 6 speed. Great motor.

I did not. Just looked at it now. I've been very irregular on BITOG the past 2 years. Good report. So do does this engine, in the caravan specifically, come with an oil cooler from the factory?

I believe they do, the filter and cooler are one unit but I don't know for sure. I know for the same year all Pentastars use the same filter, even the new 3.2.

Seems to work pretty good, keeps the oil in the mid to high 80s. I saw 91 or 92 during one of our hot spells in the last little while.

I believe they do, the filter and cooler are one unit but I don't know for sure. I know for the same year all Pentastars use the same filter, even the new 3.2.

Seems to work pretty good, keeps the oil in the mid to high 80s. I saw 91 or 92 during one of our hot spells in the last little while.

They actually changed the filter for 2014 and up at least on the Wranglers 3.6 and older filter will NOT fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back