Changing Smart phone plans - Which one??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest question is where do you plan to use the phone and whats the signal like there? Where I spend the most time, ATT has the best signal, so that's what we use. A low cost is no good if there is no signal (Looking at you Verizon and Sprint...).

I will grant that answer can be something completely different (like the dead spot for data without roaming in western Wisconsin on ATT) depending on where you spend your time...

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I use Verizon because it works, AT&T seems to be better if you travel outside of the US.

The problem with the cheap carriers is they don't own the towers just rent space...which may or may not be available depending on usage etc.

Republics chain of use goes like this---wifi----sprint----then other carriers verizon, at&t, ect, not sure of preference after sprint but there is never a roaming cost.

The proof is in the pudding: my wife has verizon. While there coverage is great, in some remote areas another carrier will actually be better(or just available) when verizon isnt. Bottom line is republic has gotten service in very remote areas where even mighty verizon doesnt have coverage.

My wife is switching over soon. Dont allow commercials and mass consumerism to make you feel compelled to overspend on a cellphone. Seriously.

WIFI is hardly every available, and Sprint service is poor.

Whats the coverage outside of the US like?

In remote areas or offshore I use an Iridium Sat phone.

A bunch of my friends have those 3rd party carriers and if you stay in one place, like say NYC and use your phone just a bit they seem fine. But when traveling in the US the phones with the best service are always AT&T or Verizon. Its about planted towers, and again no other carrier has the tower network that they have.

Last edited:
Who in your area has the best service? In my area it's Verizon so I went with Page Plus, they use Verizon towers.
I've found I use much less data than I used to. I currently use their ( Page Plus) $40 a month plan. I buy the plan at a discount currently around $38 no tax. On an Iphone 4.

The only thing that turns me off is the somewhat high price of the phone, 200 for a 3g phone?

Can you guys comment if 3g speed is fast enough to play pandora?

Thanks,
Justin

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Can you guys comment if 3g speed is fast enough to play pandora?
Thanks,
Justin
Yes. 3G is fine for streaming Pandora.

My wife has been streaming Pandora almost daily on her 45 min (one way) commute on 3G, even going through remote areas.
Works just fine.
(iphone 4s, Verizon, unlimited data plan grandfathered in when we were Alltel before)

Last edited:
Like 97tbird noted it is plenty fast for Pandora, Spotify, whatever you use. Streaming audio doesn't need a lot of bandwidth actually, especially when compared to video. But a good 3G connection is also fast enough for video as well.

Even when using the evil Sprint network, unlimited as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back