Snow tire/made in USA rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combining two of our favorite subjects: This year I am determined to get winter tires---the H727s did well for an A/S the past two winters, but I don't want to push it---and I really want my next set of tires to be made in the USA.

And then there is money. Ain't got much; lot of that going around. Barring an unreal deal on a made-in-the-USA winter tire popping up this month, I'm gonna get: http://is.gd/7zn1AH

If the link does not work, that's General Altimax Arctic in 185/70R14, for $140 shipped after rebates/discounts at DTD. Yep, good-quality winter rubber for about $200 installed....but made in Germany.

I've never driven on Altimax Arctic but I have read great things about it. As long as Nokian is out of my price range, I have no qualms running Arctics---but why is it so hard to find good tires made in the USA that match (or very nearly match) the price of comparable if not better tires made Elsewhere?

My last two sets of tires were Pirelli P4s and Hankook H727s. Both times I wanted to get domestic tires but the price-for-value equation was not even close. (Not even close to being close, in the case of the Hankooks.)

Bah. Anyway, early-bird shoppers for winter tires might want to look at the Arctics at DTD. Great deals there.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks for supporting your own country and neighbors.

I really prefer to purchase US/Canada tires. Besides the home pride, I have this idea in my head that the quality is always going to be better.

That said, I also purchased a set of General Altimax Arctics in 215/60/16 made in Germany. I think they probably know how to make tires. The country cranks out some great cars.

Tire rack kind of lets you shop for tires by COO, but it does vary by the size of the tire even in the same model.
Last year the only winter tire made in N. America at tire rack in 185/65R15, was a goodyear, and the larger sizes of the same model were made other places.
Now I just go for a comparable country to ours, and ended up with yokohama's made in japan.

The US is fairly temperate, and major cities plow fairly quickly. This makes the market very small for snow tires.

Conversely EU countries are located at higher latitudes and some have regulations that require snow tires during X months.

Made in USA

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/cooper/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=27609&tmn=Weather-Master+S%2FT+2&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

I like any tire made in a first world country. The Michelins on our Acura (Primacy MXV4 in P235/65R17) were made in the United States and the Michelins on our Honda (Latitude Tour in 225/65R17) were made in la patrie (France). I have an affinity for products made in first world countries.

I purchased (unknowingly) my first Made in Russia product. Nokian WR G2 SUV tires. They used to be all made in Finland but close enough anyway.....

Winter tires are likely sold in greater #'s in other markets than USA. We don't mandate them and also we treat our roads to turn black in the crazy storms so you can travel with balding all-seasons! IMHO winter tires a niche items so makes more sense to produce and design outside the USA.

On USA vs the rest of world. I once owned 4 Pirelli tires with two made in USA, one in Spain, and the other Brazil. Guess which ones had tire defects taken care under of warranty???????? Since then I have yet to purchase a USA brand although my recent Yokohama's turned out to be Made in USA. They have been fine.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I really prefer to purchase US/Canada tires. Besides the home pride, I have this idea in my head that the quality is always going to be better.

That said, I also purchased a set of General Altimax Arctics in 215/60/16 made in Germany. I think they probably know how to make tires. The country cranks out some great cars.

I hear you. That's why I'm gonna wait in the faint hope that a deal on GY or Cooper winter tires comes along. But that's not likely....and one more thing: If you want/can afford the 'best' winter tires---Nokian, Michelin, Blizzak---those are all produced overseas.

Looks like a good amount of tire manufacturing is moving back to North America: http://www.rubbernews.com/article/201404...p-billions-into

However, in regards to low cost US-made tires, you can't have your cake and eat it too, as the article states:

Originally Posted By: Rubber manufacturing in America: Tire makers pump billions into facilities
What challenges remain

One thing the passenger/light truck numbers don't lie about is how difficult it is—if not impossible—to make entry and low-cost lines competitively in the U.S.

“Most products can be successfully manufactured in America given the right environment,” said Yokohama's Easome. “However, higher-end product—or the "better and best' categories—are an easier fit because companies can cover their capital costs and expenses easier.”

Hawk said much of the sales for smaller tires are for older vehicles, where customers are looking for safe, but more economical products. And while the labor cost to produce the smaller tires isn't a lot different than some larger lines, the price points are significantly different. “You just can't get enough money to make those in the U.S.,” he said.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Made in USA

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/cooper/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=27609&tmn=Weather-Master+S%2FT+2&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

Thanks. I saw that. It's $54 more for a tire that is less well-reviewed than the Altimax Arctic. Now, if Cooper starts up a rebate deal....

Unless you can verify it, it also isn't a lock those Coopers are made in the USA. The last set of Cooper Snow tires I ended up with (Discoverer M+S) were made in China. Cooper is a partner in at least one, if not two plants over there.

On the flip side, I've been happy with my Hankook I Pike W 409 and RW11 flavors that were made in Korea...

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
The US is fairly temperate, and major cities plow fairly quickly. This makes the market very small for snow tires.

Conversely EU countries are located at higher latitudes and some have regulations that require snow tires during X months.

True, but it doesn't take very cold weather to produce precipitation other than rain. The depth of the snow is not what concerns me in the winter, it is when the sun/salt only melt the road covering snow partially, allowing the hard pack to refreeze at sunset, and turn into a nice icy snow mixture. Also prior to radial snow tires, we were always told that all season tires were enough, then SUV's hit the market with 4x4 to supposedly save us. Sorry but traction is king, and in the winter that comes from snow tires.

I've ran and enjoyed Michelin and Hankook snow tires, but are the Cooper's still made in USA? Have Cooper AT's on my truck and rebranded Coopers on the car, very happy with both.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Also prior to radial snow tires, we were always told that all season tires were enough, then SUV's hit the market with 4x4 to supposedly save us. Sorry but traction is king, and in the winter that comes from snow tires.

Let's face it, we are a lazy bunch here in the US. Many of us struggle to get our cars serviced on time. Most people don't want to hear about having to buy (and store) a second set of wheels/tires and then having to swap them twice a year. Very few people understand the huge advantages that dedicated winter tires offer, and hence the demand here is still relatively low. And you don't see too much media blitz from the tire makers on this either, for whatever reason. All the hoopla is now about maximum treadlife and low rolling resistance - things that typically aren't prioritized in winter tires.

The other issue is that even if you do have winter tires, chances are a bunch of drivers around you on the road don't, and you'll be stuck going 5 mph behind one of them anyway.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: typ901
Also prior to radial snow tires, we were always told that all season tires were enough, then SUV's hit the market with 4x4 to supposedly save us. Sorry but traction is king, and in the winter that comes from snow tires.

The other issue is that even if you do have winter tires, chances are a bunch of drivers around you on the road don't, and you'll be stuck going 5 mph behind one of them anyway.

Well that part is true! Usually when we get big snow storms here it takes me 30 minutes to get home (I live 9 miles or so from work). I won't get on the interstate so I take surface streets ... which are full of stuck cars.

But! The snow tires do at least allow me to get out of the way of those who are out of control. IE - on a big hill I can usually power around them to get up OR if I'm stopped and the bottom and they can't stop, I can get out of the way quickly. I live on the border of the worst part of the city. One night it was like a video game or something; I was the only one able to move on the hill and was passing on the left, right, you name it!

The all seasons I have now are decent in the snow, so I'll run them a bit later than I usually do (probably up to thanksgiving) , but the snow tires will come out.

A Made in Germany sticker on anything is always a plus for me.

Whats amazing is that the Germans can make it and sell it to us at a profit when labor, taxes, regulations, and a strong Euro make things much more expensive to manufacture in their country.

The Germans, Swiss, and Japanese make some of the highest quality products you can get.

Last edited:
I used to buy hankooks and the like or toyo asian brands and I believe asian made. I finally bought a set of goodyears I believe are american made? its the fuelmax line. to my knowledge goodyear is all thats left for the most part at least as far as major brands
I've been told coopers and mastercraft (cheaper cooper brand) are no longer usa made. My father has always swore by michelin as has consumer reports but the expense is an issue for me also they are french are they not? I agree german japanese and swiss made products are great but if I can find a comparable USA made product to support my fellow american workers myself having been factory employed I will!

I used to have studded snow tires for idaho winters
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back