Don't forget to remove your pictures from cloud...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
The only ones responsible for this are Apple and the celebs themselves for not having the common sense to not take nudes with an iPhone.

How is Apple responsible?

Because of their incompetence? For improperly securing their storage platform and allowing this to happen?

The only ones responsible for this are Apple and the celebs themselves for not having the common sense to not take nudes with an iPhone.

How is Apple responsible? For offering a service that is OPTIONAL!? I don't get it. The idiots involved are responsible for putting their private pics out there. That's THEIR problem..

Well maybe not fully...

However if you are offering a service and it's not free technically. You need an iTunes account which requires a payment device as an authenticator.

That being said if you offer a service you must do your best at securing said service. Having no password lockout after many failed attempts is just asking for trouble. Bruteforcing a password would be so simple it's scary.

That and I'd just like to see Apple burn...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I don't think anyone is blaming the victim.

Virtually every post in this thread has been about how stupid/brainless/egotistical the victims were in storing private files on a cloud service.

Yours didn't go quite that far, but you did jump on the bandwagon by saying that beauty and brains are inversely proportional.

For now, let's leave aside the boringly obvious differences between a cloud-based service and a publicly available resource.

You and everyone else should at least have the guts to own up to what you actually said and implied. With everything on record as it is here, making up a softened version and then using it to take umbrage just makes you look silly.

I don't think anyone is blaming the victim. But we are questioning the wisdom of putting potentially scandalous pictures on the cloud.

If someone leaves their car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, and their car is stolen; it is a legitimate question to ask if the owner could have done something different to help avoid becoming a victim of the crime.

But leaving the doors unlocked with the keys in your car is taking no effort to secure it. That would be akin to starting a website, posting all your nekkid pics up there in the open, and then sending out a press release politely asking people not to look.

This is more like locking your car but then finding out a thief can trivially get in and drive off with it. It wouldn't be the owners fault - the automaker should have designed security that actually worked.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
But leaving the doors unlocked with the keys in your car is taking no effort to secure it. That would be akin to starting a website, posting all your nekkid pics up there in the open, and then sending out a press release politely asking people not to look.

This is more like locking your car but then finding out a thief can trivially get in and drive off with it. It wouldn't be the owners fault - the automaker should have designed security that actually worked.

So you had a Saurn S series or Honda Accord before? lol

My key only worked to open 3 out of the 20 or so Saturns I tried besides my own car. I never tried to start them though.

The culture is currently swamped by images of these children (my daughter is their age) in all stages of undress, baring all at every gala, party and supermarket grand opening. Then when their "private" pictures are easily made public, they expect me to be outraged. I'm not falling for it. Ironic, indeed. Hypocritical, too.

The question is did they really secure their files? IIRC, there are multiple security options/levels to most cloud security.

IIRC (I don't do Apple, oilBabe does) you can pick and choose what and how much is synced to the cloud. You can choose if new devices/browsers are challenged in multiple ways before they are given access to the cloud storage.

If you don't examine and/or understand all the security settings, and get hacked because you had things set for convenience and not security, then you have in fact left your keys in the proverbial car.

Ignorance is no defense or excuse for getting hacked.

I'm not saying those hacking are in the right. I'm suggesting it's not wise to put things in the cloud without understanding what you are doing.

I've heard some of the non-scripted drivel that comes from the Hollywood crowd that seems to back up my theory.

There may be exceptions. But for the most part, when these folks are writing their own lines, they don't strike me as mensa candidates.

How many end up broke and used up when the Hollywood machine is done with them?

Most have their moment in the sun, and then have little or nothing to show for it. Doesn't strike me as being very smart.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I don't think anyone is blaming the victim.

Virtually every post in this thread has been about how stupid/brainless/egotistical the victims were in storing private files on a cloud service.

Yours didn't go quite that far, but you did jump on the bandwagon by saying that beauty and brains are inversely proportional.

For now, let's leave aside the boringly obvious differences between a cloud-based service and a publicly available resource.

You and everyone else should at least have the guts to own up to what you actually said and implied. With everything on record as it is here, making up a softened version and then using it to take umbrage just makes you look silly.

Apple has all the proper securities in place. Period. You need to use them, if you don't then well..... a thread like this will start.

Apple does have a lockout for password verification. I locked myself out of my account and had to call Apple for verification. If you are afraid to put your CC on Apple as part of their verification, go buy a VISA/AMEX/MASTERCARD gift card from Walgreens and use that. Very simple solution and happens to be what I do.

The photos were stolen by hackers. Hacking is done to get past proper security. Anyone who thinks a company like Apple or even MS for that matter, doesn't have security in place is a fool. I'm not an Apple fan boy as I work in a .NET environment - I have a Windows laptop, macbook, iPhone, and Galaxy s5. My comments are not subjective to brand.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
although it would be a lot less titillating than the 200mb zip file loaded with the personal pictures and videos of Kate Upton that went around this time. Yowza! I wasn't a fan of Kate Upton until now.
smile.gif

Link? I don't believe you, LOL.

I don't think that linking to clearly adult material would be the best way for me to continue being a member here.

The stuff is pretty good though.

Just go look for it online!

although it would be a lot less titillating than the 200mb zip file loaded with the personal pictures and videos of Kate Upton that went around this time. Yowza! I wasn't a fan of Kate Upton until now.
smile.gif

Link? I don't believe you, LOL.

I don't think that linking to clearly adult material would be the best way for me to continue being a member here.

The stuff is pretty good though.

Just go look for it online!

Yeah, I was only kidding. Anyone can easily find that material.

Uploading any personal information to ANY cloud based service is scary. I can't believe people use those online backup services to backup all their personal files like tax returns, financial information etc. Like those won't ever get hacked...

Apple has all the proper securities in place. Period. You need to use them, if you don't then well..... a thread like this will start.

Apple does have a lockout for password verification. I locked myself out of my account and had to call Apple for verification. If you are afraid to put your CC on Apple as part of their verification, go buy a VISA/AMEX/MASTERCARD gift card from Walgreens and use that. Very simple solution and happens to be what I do.

The photos were stolen by hackers. Hacking is done to get past proper security. Anyone who thinks a company like Apple or even MS for that matter, doesn't have security in place is a fool. I'm not an Apple fan boy as I work in a .NET environment - I have a Windows laptop, macbook, iPhone, and Galaxy s5. My comments are not subjective to brand.

They did not when these were stolen, they threw a list of e-mail & passwords at iCloud and brute forced it.

They did not when these were stolen, they threw a list of e-mail & passwords at iCloud and brute forced it.

Apparently your definition of security is obscured. Brute forcing a server to attempt to log in with a dictionary of credentials is a way to get around security. I does NOT mean there is no security.

Let's shed some very easy to understand light on this.... WEP encryption on your router can be hacked in ~1 minute. How? By throwing every possible combination of hexadecimal digits at the router until the correct one is found. So, I ask you, is WEP not security? Regardless of my ability to create an application in which will find your encryption key?

No it has been proven that if rely on WEP as a form of security and somebody wants in they will get it quite easily as you suggested. To suggest using WEP is secure in any sense is really funny.

It is a form of security? Not in practice. It certainly is not to me it be like leaving 100 keys next to the lock you intended on protecting.

Security to me is having something that can't be broken into without a decent amount of effort and having multiple locks to go through at that. Hence why any big corp uses multiple steps to gain access to the network.

We are arguing semantics though. It's like arguing between storing passwords as plaintext vs encrypted, yes they are both still passwords but which one means "secure" to you?

I just don't get the rationale behind putting that stuff on a cloud based storage solution and thinking it will stay private. I saw the pics, and they were nothing special, kinda wish I hadn't seen Kate, it ruined her for me.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I just don't get the rationale behind putting that stuff on a cloud based storage solution and thinking it will stay private. I saw the pics, and they were nothing special, kinda wish I hadn't seen Kate, it ruined her for me.

Like I said earlier you realize how normal they look when not all "done up" for the big screen.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back