So I forgot to lube the gasket, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure no big deal, just don't do it again.

There probably was a film on the flange from pulling the last filter.

Only thing, it says to turn the filter 3/4 turn after the gasket touches the mating surface. Mine went only 1/2 turn and is on pretty tight.

Perhaps it would have turned better with the lube.

Not going to lose sleep over it, just figured to see what others have to say.

BTW, is lubing the gasket to make installation easier, prevent the gasket from fusing to the mating surface during use, or both?

Thanks. I have a wrench, so it will come off. Just so long as I don't have to scrape gasket pieces off the flange with a putty knife or someting.

Don't worry. When I was younger I did dozens of oil changes before I found out the gasket needs to be lubed. Never had a problem.

Unless it was yout 1st oil change, I am sure that there is residual film there from previous changes.

Maybe you got lucky and your filter had a pre-lubed gasket..
wink.gif

I've never seen any filter come off without leaking oil over the filter mount. Doesn't matter if it's mounted sideways, threaded end up, threaded end down, the filter mount WILL get lubed when you remove the filter.

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that lubing the gasket is primarily to prevent it from sticking and bunching up or becoming damaged on installation, thereby causing a leak. If yours isn't leaking, I'd say there's no harm done.

you might want to check it for leaks after 1K miles or so. I had a gasket leak last fall on my sons' 94 GC 3.3 . I don't remember ever having a leak with a spin on filter before.

If you didn't wipe off the filter mount surface, it should have a film of oil on it. I always wipe the sealing area with a paper towel to make sure there is no dirt on it,.

I did wipe the mounting surface, but with a nitrile rubber glove, so that would tend to smear any oil around and pull any dirt off. It is not leaking now after 35 miles.

If this is on your truck's inline six then you have no problem because you can get the leverage to remove the filter. Heck the factory doesn't oil the filter before they put it on in a new engine. But I guess this is why many of us take our new vehicles to the dealer for the first oil change
rolleyes.gif

PS I miss my '89 L6 5 speed tranny
frown.gif

Whimsey

Truth be told, most oil filters are installed without lubing the gasket.

You guys need to find something else to worry about. Most oil filter gaskets are treated to help them not bind or stick during installation. Needing to lube them is sort of an urban myth. It doesn't hurt to do so, and I'm in the habit of doing so, but gosh guys, get a life!

Big Jim. What about those little pictures on the oil filters showing an oil can dropping oil onto a filter? My Nippons even told me to do it in Chinese. I never argue with Chinese instructions.
wink.gif

I just do a shmear on the new filter with the old filter, just mating up the O-Rings and give it a good twist two or three times back and forth to goo up the filter. It really IS best to goo the new gasket, because that thang CAN bunch up or drop out of it's own track in the filter.

There is a secondary reason to lube the gasket.

Obviously the first is the lube itself with clean fresh oil. You can take your finger and rub it along the gasket surface to see if it is "dry"--in which case you should lube it-- or it feels "wet" in which case you don't "have" to lube it.

But the secondary reason is to insure that the gasket is fully set within the retaining ring. If the gasket is not fully seated, the filter can leak.

So even with prelubed gaskets one should always check the gasket. Even adding oil to a prelubed gasket won't hurt it.

A "dry" gasket surface not prelubed when over torqued during installation has a tendency to ripple during the installation, which can mean it leaks. From a drip leak to worse. The dry gasket also can deteriorate due to the heat generated by the engine without the lube. You can have bits/chunks of the gasket remain on the filter mounting surface. Which inhibits the next filter from sealing properly if you don't clean the mounting surface.

quote:

but gosh guys, get a life!

But BITOG is our life.
freak2.gif

Hey, I know. I will loosen it slightly with the engine running until oil starts to seep out, then tighten it back up. That ought to lube it good.
pat.gif
No, really I won't try that.
grin.gif

quote:

I will loosen it slightly with the engine running until oil starts to seep out, then tighten it back up. That ought to lube it good.

Yeah do that if you want to lube it. It will work without a doubt.
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back