Toyota Sienna vs. Traverse vs. ? for family of 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Chrysler, right.

That's fine as long as you are using your money to purchase that fine Chrysler minivan.

Toyota is proud of both its past products and its current offerings too.

The Auto Crushers of America did vote the Chrysler van #1.

JD Powers didn't, however.

And how many Dodge/Chrysler minivans have you owned, to base your opinion on?

All hat, no cattle.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-arch...from-maker.html
Note the spike in 2008.

What spike in 2008? Edmunds' data correlates exactly with Consumer Reports' data. While Honda had significant transmission issues over a decade ago, their recent transmissions have been at least as good as anyone else's. Ford had terrible reliability with their AX-series transmissions...that doesn't mean that a Flex is a bad risk today. Same with any other auto maker.

Edmunds' data looks to be measuring transmission complaints in the single digits out of every 100,000 cars sold. That's an incredibly low failure rate, and all of the major brands are enjoying that low failure rate.

Complaints%20per%20100K%20Sold%20resized.JPG

My advice is to buy the minivan you like best, whatever brand that is. I like Hondas and I'd buy the Odyssey, but I wouldn't recommend the Odyssey to the OP any more than I'd recommend against another choice. They're all excellent machines, and the family in question here needs to test drive a number of them to see what will fit them the best. I wouldn't buy based on perceived reliability; they'll ALL get the family down the road for many many years to come.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
...The Pentastar is a better engine than the Toyota, though, which would seal the deal for me.

Could you elaborate? Better in what way(s)?

I'd give it the edge on technology and "modernity" if that makes sense. Nothing WRONG with the Toyota anymore now that they fixed the PCV system, but all-around the Pentastar is a superb and very modern engine, from the core components right up to the PCM programming, accessories, coolers, oiling system (including the variable-displacement oil pump that regulates oil pressure without wasting energy bypassing pressurized oil back to the sump).

Some history on its development: Cerberus was trying to buy Nissan V6 engines instead of building their own when that engine was being finalized. The engineers working on it knew the future of the company (particularly the engine division) was riding on it and they threw everything they had at it and it paid off. It beat the Nissan- a superb engine in its own right- in a head-to-head engineering evaluation and ultimately going into production, as well as being utilized (with variations such as direct injection) by Mercedes and retained by Fiat for use in their own vehicles as well as Chrysler Group vehicles. Three different manufacturers have evaluated it and deemed it worth using. Its been reviewed and evaluated (by engineers, not magazine writers) more than your average V6.

In service, its had one issue crop up with one of the head castings, which for some reason affected Wranglers at a much higher rate than all other applications. The head was revised in August of 2012, and warranty coverage was extended drastically on all 2011-2013 models using the 3.6L version. Got my letter covering the one in Wifey's 2011 JGC in late July.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Edmunds' data looks to be measuring transmission complaints in the single digits out of every 100,000 cars sold. That's an incredibly low failure rate, and all of the major brands are enjoying that low failure rate.

Complaints%20per%20100K%20Sold%20resized.JPG

My advice is to buy the minivan you like best, whatever brand that is. I like Hondas and I'd buy the Odyssey, but I wouldn't recommend the Odyssey to the OP any more than I'd recommend against another choice.

That's a very interesting set of data, and correlates with everything I've read from reputable engineering-based sources (ie, NOT CR and JDP) as well. Chrysler's actually been winning the minivan transmission reliability war for almost 15 years (which includes the last years of the hated 41TE), but old wounds heal slowly with the average buyers who don't track the engineering changes that get made. "Chrysler minivan transmissions suck" hasn't actually been true since 1999, but it was SO true before then that a lot of people alive today will go to their graves believing its still true. Just like a lot of old guys I grew up with would tell you "all Fords overheat" because the flathead v8s were prone to it. :-/

And I agree wholeheartedly with the advice. I'd personally pick a Caravoyager solely because I really like the Pentastar engine, but truth be told they're all the same for all practical purposes. Minvians are the *ultimate* commodity product when it comes to vehicles, even moreso than economy sedans. They have all the personality of different brands of toilet paper. People don't buy them for their mechanical design or performance, they by them for their utility and ANY shortcoming relative to the competition will be pounced on and the product shunned in short order. There's no such thing as brand loyalty in that market- except maybe for the remaining people who think Toyota can do no wrong.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-arch...from-maker.html
Note the spike in 2008.

What spike in 2008?

Look again. Honda was virtually neck and neck in 06 and 07 and then goes above everyone else in 2008. It's not a huge spike but something changed to make it go above everyone else. It's something to be concerned with and warrant further investigation if you are looking at that vintage.

Quote:
While Honda had significant transmission issues over a decade ago, their recent transmissions have been at least as good as anyone else's.

Sure, so they transitioned to poor engines then with all the VCM issues on the V6?

Any used purchase needs to be looked at as a total package and long term reliability looked at from multiple sources. Certain years Hondas are iffy. Might be what the OP is looking at, may not. But it is something for the OP to be aware of.

Honda's poop is no better or worse smelling than any others. It just has a "reputation" of not stinking but it stinks just the same.

Look again. Honda was virtually neck and neck in 06 and 07 and then goes above everyone else in 2008. It's not a huge spike but something changed to make it go above everyone else. It's something to be concerned with and warrant further investigation if you are looking at that vintage.

I think we're picking nits here. They went from maybe 10 problems per 100,000 vehicles to 11, based on my feeble eyes. The truth of the matter is that transmission reliability among ANY of the major players is essentially the same. It's a non-issue anymore.

Quote:
Any used purchase needs to be looked at as a total package and long term reliability looked at from multiple sources.

I agree that a used purchase must be looked at holistically. We don't have any indication from the OP (at least not that I saw) that they're looking at new or used, but even new vehicles are risky. I never recommend that anyone buy something because of perceived quality or reliability. Our two Hondas haven't required any major repairs, but "reliability" isn't why we drive two Hondas.

Quote:
Certain years Hondas are iffy.

They ALL present problems here and there, depending on what is most important to you. There are things to like about all of them and there are things to dislike about all of them. I never recommend for or against a particular vehicle when someone asks a question like this with virtually no left-and-right boundaries. I simply suggest that they look at all and decide only after considering all choices. Reliability over the long term is very good with all of these, and you're just as likely get a lemon from a Honda store as you are from a Ford or a Chrysler or a Toyota store.

Honda refuses to get away from timing belts on v6 models. That's an automatic fail. I know they are "easy" to change, but it's unacceptable. If you don't do your own work (or don't have the money) - too bad. you have to drop $500 and have the vehicle out of service for a few days.

Weren't the Traverse/Acadia/Lookout/Enclave meant to be minivans ... but with 4 regular doors instead of a sliding door? The only advantage of these quadrouplets, it seems, is they have available AWD. I'm not sure I'd trust one of these PDUs on such a heavy vehicle. My boss traded his 2011 Grand caravan for the Acadia and apparently it's bigger inside for the kids.

I like the transit connect best of all of the minivans. Even though it's a mini-minivan.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Honda refuses to get away from timing belts on v6 models. That's an automatic fail.

and yet they still sell in the thousands despite "enthusiast" opinions.

My thoughts at this point are a) minivan of some type. No replacement for dual sliding doors for getting young kids in and out. No doubt the non-minivan options would be better looking. I might not be willing to do the minivan, even with that many kids, but this is for someone I'm helping and they care little about the appearance. b) New Grand Caravan most likely in low/lowest trim. Get new, no issues, fresh warranty. I am one of those that have held a bad opinion/grudge against Chrysler/Dodge for the earlier transmission woes but the data shared in thread make it clear that recent reliability is more than solid.

Originally Posted By: deanm11
My thoughts at this point are a) minivan of some type. No replacement for dual sliding doors for getting young kids in and out. No doubt the non-minivan options would be better looking. I might not be willing to do the minivan, even with that many kids, but this is for someone I'm helping and they care little about the appearance. b) New Grand Caravan most likely in low/lowest trim. Get new, no issues, fresh warranty. I am one of those that have held a bad opinion/grudge against Chrysler/Dodge for the earlier transmission woes but the data shared in thread make it clear that recent reliability is more than solid.

Check an inexpensive(low trim) Grand Caravan closely. The feel is quite cheap. Make sure you can live with it day to day or better to get a slightly used(with massive depreciation) upper model.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Check an inexpensive(low trim) Grand Caravan closely. The feel is quite cheap. Make sure you can live with it day to day or better to get a slightly used(with massive depreciation) upper model.

Even in a new model? The 2008-(around)2012 interiors were terribly inexpensive in the Mopar vans, but I understand the refresh that came around 2012 or 2013 really improved things on the interior quality front. The Mopar vans, from what I understand, also drive a ton better than they used to. Gone is the porpoising wallow of an under-damped suspension...replaced by dampers and springs that actually deliver a competent ride.

Value and reliability are the goal for this one. Yes, a higher trim Sienna is going depreciate more, but its starting from a very high point and the extras aren't valued much for this particular purchase. I definitely would consider a good value used Sienna, I'm just not finding that value. Edmunds values a 2012 Sienna LE 8-passenger, 35,000 miles, private party value $18,600. Base/AVP caravan might be almost the same with a leftover/rebate.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It is sad that once you build dogs for years the reputation is established.

But perhaps this benefits the used van buyer...

Very true. Look at the flipside: how many Toyota/Honda's have been sold, and continue to be sold, on the basis of how they used to be? I think it works both ways. Perception drives value, if not true value then at least monetary value (which is seemingly rather real).

I don't know how it is now, but back in the 2007-2008 time frame we were used van shopping. A 2002 Sienna with all the bells and whistles was tighter than 2004-2006 Dodge/Chrysler vans with less mileage.

The Toyota didn't have the squeaks and rattles of the DC vans. On the other hand, it didn't have stow and go either. The seats were a pain to remove on those few occasions where we removed one or more seats for more cargo room.

Of course, the 2002 Sienna was still built on the pre-2002 Camry platform. I don't know if more recent models have that same level of quality.

Originally Posted By: deanm11

Value and reliability are the goal for this one. Yes, a higher trim Sienna is going depreciate more, but its starting from a very high point and the extras aren't valued much for this particular purchase. I definitely would consider a good value used Sienna, I'm just not finding that value. Edmunds values a 2012 Sienna LE 8-passenger, 35,000 miles, private party value $18,600. Base/AVP caravan might be almost the same with a leftover/rebate.

Try driving a 2008 Caravan with 100k miles and see what you think. My sister in laws have them and they definitely require more suspension bits and a lot more creaky. Then try an upper mileage Sienna and see what you think for comparison.

Front suspension bits have been a recurring theme with Mopar minivans. From the 3rd generation (1996-2000) through to the early 5th generation vans (2008+), stabilizer bar end links and bushings are extremely common "clunkers". We had to do the bushings and links twice in about 50,000 miles on our '03 Grand Caravan and I had to replace the bushings about every 6-8k miles on our '07 Town & Country. It was certainly frustrating, but I told myself, "if this is the worst this van will give us, I can live with that." It wasn't, and we sold the van, but suspension issues have lived on through multiple generations of these vans, which is disheartening to me. I sincerely hope they've resolved those problems by now.

Aren't swaybar endlinks pretty common for any vehicle?

Seems that most have gone to plastic end links to save money and make the vehicle lighter.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aren't swaybar endlinks pretty common for any vehicle?

Seems that most have gone to plastic end links to save money and make the vehicle lighter.

I've never had to replace them on anything else I've owned, including our current vehicles which average 102,000 miles each. I've upgraded parts on a few, but I haven't replaced any due to failure. Same with stabilizer bar bushings.

Mopar van owners can't figure out why they go bad so often on the vans. We have a theory on the bushings. They use a really cheesy one-bolt bushing bracket that, we feel, loses a tight hold on the bushing over time. It looks like this:

928-306.jpg

Over time, we feel that the bushing bracket "opens up" and allows play in the bushing, which promotes faster wear. If they used a conventional two-bolt bushing bracket, we feel that it would maintain consistent clamping force on the bushing for a much longer time. At the least, one could replace them with universal parts, such as from Energy Suspension, and get a real upgrade in performance. As it is, van owners are stuck with the one-bolt bushing brackets.

Chrysler attempted to address the premature bushing wear in later years (2007 or 2008 or so). They didn't do it by fixing the bushing bracket; they tried to do it with an updated bushing with a plastic insert. Here's that bushing:

w01331913486mpr.jpg

This bushing does not fix the problem. A contributing factor, in my opinion, is that Chrysler's stabilizer bars are not coated with anything, so they rust. And they rust with lots of abrasive pitting on the bar, so they wear the softer rubber bushings quickly. They also, of course, wear the little plastic inserts in the new bushing design. If Chrysler coated the bars, they'd remain smooth forever, and I don't think they'd be as abrasive to the bushings.

I really didn't mean to talk so much about things as simple as stabilizer bars, but they turned into very frustrating and recurring problems for owners of these vans. We sold our '07 Town & Country in 2010 or 2011 (I can't recall at the moment), and the early 5th generation van owners (2008+) were having the same problems. It persisted through three different generations. After we sold our van, I haven't followed them as close. And like I said earlier, I do hope that they're better than they used to be. Chrysler may very well have fixed the problem by now. I hope they did; it's been going on for 15+ years.

On my Taurus, I had to replace the front endlinks 3 or 4 times I remember. Looks like my Focus is going to be the same way. This time, I'm ordering the high end stuff and not bothering with the advance auto endlinks.

I do understand that some cars use plastic end links. I've never owned one that did, but I'm sure I will one day. I would look to the aftermarket for a superior product, if the plastic ones as a group are not very durable. Do they make metal end links to replace plastic ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back