Switching from Mobil 1 to Rotella T6 wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried searching here but can't find answer. I've recently started running T6 in all my gas engines(motorcycles and ATV also) Now I'm picking up a used well maintained 2003 Infiniti G35 gas engine with 121k miles that the single owner has been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since very first oil change. I believe it was 10w30 and we live in Southern California so don't have freezing temps. So my question can I switch to Rotella T6 without causing harm? Also some of the engines in this model car had oil burn questions but owner said his does not. I believe seller cause he is car enthusiast and has all maintenance records since buying car.

Rotella T6 is a fine oil, but it's not primarily formulated for gasoline engines. If the engine is running fine on M1 10w30, I see no reason to change it.

I just went through this same thought process for my Jaguar because I was going to use T6 5W40 but went with Mobile 1 0W40... With yours, I would use what the former owner used. If it was Mobil 1, then stay with that... I would probably go with the 5W30 version and not 10W30.

I don't know specifics about the G35 engine- I know some Nissan v6 engines have had a reputation for tearing the bejeezuz out of their oil, but on the other hand they also hold up very well in the long run regardless.

At any rate, I probably wouldn't use T6 in that particular engine. It has no real need for high doses of ZDDP and you can get the other benefits of T6 (shear stability, etc.) plus the benefits of an SN gas engine oil (low NOACK, etc.) in something like M1 0w40 if you prefer. But quite honestly it should do fine on a 5w30 or 0w30, assuming a 30-weight is what's recommended.

Using Rotella will provide great lubrication for your Nissan's needs. It makes your maintenance routine simple and is cost effective all are considerations when maintaining a personal fleet of vehicles. Use it with confidence.

I know of someone using Mobil Delvac in his Infiniti G37. I wonder if this tailor will chime in on this thread?

You wouldn't go wrong with either oil IMO. Our M37 Sport (lease ended a cple months ago) ran great on GTX Synblend 5w30 from the dealership for three solid, hard driving years. The oils you mention are even more robust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Rotella T6 is a fine oil, but it's not primarily formulated for gasoline engines. If the engine is running fine on M1 10w30, I see no reason to change it.

Not entirely sure I agree. It carries API SN, which is a gasoline engine rating. The T6 webpage doesn't say anything about being a diesel oil. They call it a "heavy duty engine oil".

It's rated CJ4/SN, which in the realm of API designations, means that it's primarily formulated for diesels, because the diesel rating is listed first.

The big reason that it can be rated SN, despite its high ZDDP content is that it's a 40-weight, for which there are no limits to Phosphorous content. If it was a 30-weight, to be rated SN, it would have to have less than 800 ppm Phos.

I have not found a light duty engine that really needed a full 40 grade and high HTHS. They all ran better when I did a mix in with some ILSAC conserving oils. Witness the EJ series Subaru that liked 3 qts Rotella triple 10w30 Fleet oil with the balance and makup oil being 5w30 Formula Shell - back in the sl and SM days.

Let the engine speak for itself - it will tell you if its too much oil if you listen and feel. Give the ECU some time to comp though, maybe a week.

While T6 is a good oil for many applications and certainly will not hurt the Infinity. T6 and similar oils are often refereed to as "dual use" ....they primarily are for diesels. The vast majority of information on Rotella T6 site is about diesels. Specs and approvals for the car except SN are for/by diesel manufacturers. Even the drawings of vehicles of recommended uses shows industrial vehicles and HD pick up (my guess a diesel) IMO stick with M1

I would go with the HDEO, I read above and elsewhere that some Nissan engines are hard on oil.....

that point and the CA heat I would go with the T6, Iron levels with M1 is of constant debate around here but I will add that that was a weighing factor in my deciding against M1 0-40 for my 4.0 ford.

I use HDEO's (T6,T5 Triple T sometimes DELVAC)all across my broad collection of engines (from JEEPS 4.0 to 60yo KOHLER engines) and I have never had a reason to decide against it until the 06 Explorer and I'm not so sure I wont end up using it there aswell.

I like the idea of using one oil across the fleet. T6 will do no harm. You may lose an immeasurable amount of fuel economy compared to 10w-30, but who cares? T6 is a fine oil for diesel, gasoline, and OPE engines alike. It'll make your maintenance easier using a single oil. Go for it.

Back to OP's original question: I don't think T6 is necessary in that car. Stick with a synthetic 5w30 and you will be fine. The VQ motors are not picky with their oil.

No, not wise. If you're fortunate enough to get a "well maintained", one owner vehicle with all maintenance records, non oil burning 11 year old car with 120k+ miles from nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic oil, Why would you want to change that? Huh? HUH?

smile.gif
just my 2 cents

Can you throw a few more Huh's in there? Two is not enough when attempting to provide constructive feedback on why not to use one of the best products on the shelf.

I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke,don't fix it",so definitely keep on doing what the original owner was doing,same brand and weight of oil/filter.

Welcome to the board. First post and it's a brand war between Brand X and Mobil 1.

I am shocked

Originally Posted By: jbl_91762
I've tried searching here but can't find answer. I've recently started running T6 in all my gas engines(motorcycles and ATV also) Now I'm picking up a used well maintained 2003 Infiniti G35 gas engine with 121k miles that the single owner has been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since very first oil change. I believe it was 10w30 and we live in Southern California so don't have freezing temps. So my question can I switch to Rotella T6 without causing harm? Also some of the engines in this model car had oil burn questions but owner said his does not. I believe seller cause he is car enthusiast and has all maintenance records since buying car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back