Economic high detergency oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically I just stock up on any given oil when something goes on sale or rebate for a VERY low price for the 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5L. This thing drinks oil worse than my F1AE 4.6L in an early 90's Crown Victoria, although for a different reason. Apparently the rings are known to get "sticky."

Of the various lower cost oils what would be ideal to look out for? Like I said I just grab a case or two when something goes on a really deep sale- for example I am stocked up on Formula Shell right now. I am running 5w30 most of the time.

I find in practice with the forester chain engine that the oils with the Na DP/AW have "cleaned" better than the moly Boron package. I am not aware if this has been proven through API Cert in-situ engine tests - the manufacturers keep this data close to the vest unless they are promoting thier top shelf synthetic oils with something vague like, "cleans up to 33.33% better than Mobil 1". Possibly Valvoline or NAPA.

What do you consider 'cheap'? Menards puts FS on sale on a regular basis. If $1.99 is acceptable, I'd solely use that. Too convenient to spend time worrying about getting the best possible sale.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Typically I just stock up on any given oil when something goes on sale or rebate for a VERY low price for the 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5L. This thing drinks oil worse than my F1AE 4.6L in an early 90's Crown Victoria, although for a different reason. Apparently the rings are known to get "sticky."

Of the various lower cost oils what would be ideal to look out for? Like I said I just grab a case or two when something goes on a really deep sale- for example I am stocked up on Formula Shell right now. I am running 5w30 most of the time.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Like I said I just grab a case or two when something goes on a really deep sale- for example I am stocked up on Formula Shell right now. I am running 5w30 most of the time.

That choice is just fine.

Mobil Super 5000 or High Mileage. Dirt cheap at Walmart. My absolute favorite engine oils.

Gulfpride Advanced Fuel Efficient oils clean well also, but they are hard to find outside of bulk tanks.

Actually, regular Shell is very good oil. If you want extra detergent, have you thought of using a 10w30 heavy duty diesel oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back