Tire swap: Dodge GC/Chrysler T&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 Chrysler T&C has 225/65/16 Michelin tires. My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan is sporting 215/65/16 Michelin tires. The Chrysler is now the main vehicle; the Dodge is a second vehicle. The tires on the Dodge are fairly new. The tires on the Chrysler, while serviceable, will probably need to be changed out before winter. I don't know that I will be financially able to afford new tires anytime soon. Can I switch out the better tires to the Chrysler?

I would switch the tires from the wheels of the Dodge to the Town and Country and vice versa. The wheels will stay on their respective vehicles.

No problem. I have 225/60's on a 2007 T&C (identical to your 2005 GC) without an issue. Mine are wider than your 225/65's.

The tires currently on the Dodge are Michelin Defenders. The tires currently on the Chrysler are Michelin Symmetry (?) which I am not too impressed with.

The Symmetry is at least a 10 year old design (if not 15). Was an OE tire on Ford products for old people, like the Crown Vic, the Gramp Marquis and the Town Snooze.

No, it isn't going to impress much.

id just swap the whole tire and wheel over. getting 8 tires unmounted and balanced will cost a fortune unless you have acess to a tire machine and balancer.

here it would cost around $200.better off putting that money towards new tires imo.

Last edited:
The wheels on the Dodge are pretty beat up. I can probably get them mounted and balanced at Wally World fairly cheaply. If not, I will invest that money towards new tires instead.

The 215/65R16s on your Dodge have a 98 load index and the 225/65R16 tires on your Chrysler have a 100 load index. That would be a no-go for me. If you get into an accident and the prosecuting attorney notes that you have under-sized tires on your van, you'll have one more thing to battle in court.

I would not switch them.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
id just swap the whole tire and wheel over. getting 8 tires unmounted and balanced will cost a fortune unless you have acess to a tire machine and balancer.

here it would cost around $200.better off putting that money towards new tires imo.

The current generation of Caravan uses 5x5 bolt pattern and the previous generation uses 5x4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back