Just for fun / Best sounding car you ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: Delta
I guess I'm an oddball, but I LOVE the sound of the Inline-5 in my VW. I've owned several engine combos in vehicles over the years, but the I5 takes the cake. After 2500rpms it starts singing really well. VR6's are sexy sounding, but IMO not like the I5...

Right on. There is something special about the burble of a five-pot engine.

We had that VW 2.5, and it is a really nice engine with just enough growl.

If you love the VW 2.5, then you owe it to yourself to stomp on a Volvo white block, turbo preferred. All that growly burble, but a sweeter refinement that sings at you approach redline. And a small block V-8 power rush to boot.

Tack one of these on one, and you've got a really nice soundtrack for a curvy back road:

That sounded awesome! I am in the process of putting back some cash for a cat-back for the Jetta. The fluid-filled motor mount that's stock was a stupid design (and failing on mine...) so an aftermarket design is going in first and foremost.

I guess I'm an oddball, but I LOVE the sound of the Inline-5 in my VW. I've owned several engine combos in vehicles over the years, but the I5 takes the cake. After 2500rpms it starts singing really well. VR6's are sexy sounding, but IMO not like the I5...

love I5s They even sound cool as diesels
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jayg

That's not oddball. Lots of people have loved turbo 5 cyl Audis in Group B rally for 30 years.Also I think of BTCC Volvo 850 R's. Big difference between those and a 2.5 NA jetta but still.

Even the not Group B/SWB, regular wheelbase 'Ur-Quattros' as raced in the U.S., SCCA Pro rally championship had a distinctive 'woofle' sound to them under full steam/boost.

We (the stage workers/marshalls) could always tell it was one of these blasting down the stage road towards us.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My '87 GT T-Top Mustang.
I had an 85 Mustang GT. And yes it was the best sounding car I ever owned. They sounded great!

I enjoy the way my Firebird sounds, but honestly some of the best sounds are from Mustangs, Ferraris and Lambos, IMO. The F355 sounds heavenly.

Originally Posted By: dparm
My old S2000 with Comptech intake:

I've got a 2004 turbo S2000 with 400+ HP. It is also a wonderful sounding car. The 2.2L redline is typically 8K, but since mine is tuned, it's set at 8.5K. Wonderful music with the right exhaust.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My 2 stroke Lawn Boy.
laugh.gif

Yes!

Even my 'new' Ariens single-stage snow blower's 5hp Tecumseh 2-stroke sounds really nice.

Or how about an Onan horizontally opposed twin? All the old horizontally opposed twins sounded cool IMO.

Sadly enough, probably my current one.

I put a Dynomax cat back exhaust system on my old 2.5L Ranger, and it sounded okay, but it did sound like an I4. It was not obnoxious and did have kind of a deep tone, but there wasn't any sort of V engine burble to it.

My 4.0L Explorer had pretty muffled exhaust, and not all that much of an exhaust note. It would sort of drone if you floored it.

My 3.0 is pretty quiet overall, but if you give it some gas it actually has something of an exhaust note. Stock muffler. Here is a video...please excuse poor quality sound/background noise...
http://vid118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/aegerar1/MVI_2845_zps8ca02c65.mp4

Originally Posted By: Silk

And the best sounding 3cyl is the Commer TS3.

I would love to hear one of those, but I don't think they ever made it to the US.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
I always liked the sound of my old '94 Taurus SHO when the short intake runner's opened at 4k RPM.

Those motors are excellent.

That would be a hard one for me since I have more than one vehicle with aftermarket exhaust and I think they all sound good. Here is what I have.
2014 Mustang GT with stock H pipe, resonator delete and GT500 mufflers. I get compliments on this one, even from the Ford dealership SA.
1998 chevy K1500 with 5.7L- Borla Cat-back exhaust, duel out the back.
1998 chevy K3500 with 7.4L- Flowmaster single out the side cat-back.
1970 Monte Carlo with 396 bb, cast iron exhaust manifolds with generic turbo mufflers. Back in the day when it had a small block, headers and glass packs, it sounded awesome but was loud.

Wayne

Stock: Probably the Miata. It isn't loud, but has a nice little snarl, especially with the top down.

Not stock: Definitely my '04 SRT-4. Short-ram intake, 3" cat-less downpipe, 2nd of 2 resonators removed, HKS blow-off valve, Stage 2 Mopar kit... the noises that car made was outstanding! Even at idle it sounded like a lumpy diesel, which was awesome
smile.gif
Nowadays, that'd be way to much noise for a DD. But I still love the way that car sounded... I remember hearing the turbo spooling under hard pulls...
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back