ThinkWise

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I applied for a job and after a quick screening I was sent a link to a ThinkWise "Survey".

This stuff is more like a psych exam, anyone else seen this before? Is this stuff even legal?

Here are some of the questions:

1: I'm not shy about telling others what I think.
2: I often jump into things without thinking about the ramifications.
3: I tend to focus on the worst case scenario.
4: I always keep my promises.
5: I am a very productive worker.
6: I believe it's OK to boast about your virtues.
7: I am uncomfortable when major changes are announced in my organization.
8: I always support my teammates or fellow group members.
9: I believe I deserve a certain amount of praise and admiration.
10: I always put in extra effort on the job.
11: I dislike being the center of attention.
12: I admit to having a very high opinion of myself.

Those types of surveys are often used to gauge personality types, so you can get a better understanding of how others see you. I find them to be incredibly valuable tools in the battle of developing a cohesive team with a lot of different people and with a lot of different types of personalities. "Standout" by Marcus Buckingham is one of the better ones in my opinion.

If you feel that they are using this to discriminate against certain types of personalities during the interview process, that may be something different than simple team-building, though not necessarily something illegal. Just answer the questions truthfully. For example, #12. You might think that the employer would value humility in a new prospect, but they might be looking for someone with a very high level of self-confidence for a certain type of job.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Is this stuff even legal?

Seriously?

I'll grant you that some executive in charge of HR is displaying their ignorance by implementing that test for candidates, but it's not at all unusual.

My least favorite job interview question:
"What's your biggest fault?"

My favorite answer:
"I'm just too [censored] modest."

I did one of these too. They are just there to... 1) Test your personality and tendencies, and 2) See if you are lying. #2 is the most important because a new hire will have a tendency to, say, LIE to make themselves sound better. Those surveys will ask you the same question multiple times in multiple ways, which helps plot your honesty.

BTW, completely legal.

When I was younger I applied for a job at lots of retail places for summer work.

It seems they do this to trip you up and make you answer the same question differently.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When I was younger I applied for a job at lots of retail places for summer work.

It seems they do this to trip you up and make you answer the same question differently.

Not far off the.mark; I studied these type tests getting my degree. They ask the same question numerous times to get an average. It is best to be consistent rather than try to tailor your answers to what you think they want.

I find surveys like that make good screening tools.

If an employer asks me to take one, I know I probably don't want to work there due to managerial incompetence.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
If an employer asks me to take one, I know I probably don't want to work there due to managerial incompetence.

So your answer to question 3 would be...yes?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back