Oil for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: massparanoia
Is there a difference between the "regular" M1 0w30 and the advanced fuel economy?

M1 0-30 is AFE.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Just picked up a 1996 Honda Civic EX. D16Y8 motor. 42000 miles. Thinking of using M1 0w30 in it for the factory recommended 7500 mile oci. What do you guys think?

My wife has a 97 Civic. Those cars are rock solid and usually they are easy on oil. I've got Mobil 1 5w-30 in it and I changed the oil every 6 months. She only drives about 6,000 miles a year. Last year I decided to leave the oil in for an entire year to see if there would be an issues and it was fine. Inside the engine is clean, no varnish.

You should be fine with your oil change interval and oil selection. What type of filter are you going to use?

Regards, JC.

I was thinking of using PureOne's

With the recent rash of PureOnes tearing, I'd highly recommend using a different filter until they sort out their quality control issues. Their synthetic line doesn't seem to be affected, so I'm still going to use those with confidence. It's mainly the PureOne and the Classic that have experienced the tearing, along with Bosch and a few isolated Motorcraft filters.

Is there a recommended oil for the manual transmission that I can pick up at a local parts store? Royal purple's website says it's 5w30 is compatible with Honda MTF, so I was thinking of using that.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Just picked up a 1996 Honda Civic EX. D16Y8 motor. 42000 miles. Thinking of using M1 0w30 in it for the factory recommended 7500 mile oci. What do you guys think?

sounds like short tripped to me, I would do MaxLife 5w30 for the factory recommended 7,500 OCI and Fram Ultra for 15,000 Two OCI.

If you see no oil burning during those two OCI, MaxLife will clean up the car good enough for cheap.

Only after doing that I will move to Mobil 1/PP & PU/Castrol Syntec/Valvoline SynPower or Honestly even SuperTech Full Synthetic.

Reason I recommend that is because MaxLife is cheaper, you don't wanna be burning and then topping off with the expensive Mobil 1. Plus I used MaxLife in my D16Y7 and it took away the oil burning completely which from my understanding was the seal swelling additives in MaxLife.

Plus an OCI later I rebuilt my D16Y7, and WOW it was clean inside and the oil return holes in the piston were loosened up/cleaner and the ring grove area was a joke to clean up. Where as the other rebuilds I have done it takes forever to clean up the buildup on the piston.

was it the MaxLife loosing up the gunk or the SuperTech Full Synthetic that I used earlier at 3k OCI for 2 OCI? I'm not sure but on the MaxLife the engine didn't burn any oil whereas on the SuperTech it would burn 1 quart every 500 miles...

Is there a danger of using the "high mileage" oils and then stopping due to the seal conditioners?

I don't see how, if it needs the seal swelling additives(great), if not then no harm done.
That's like the ole wife's tale "oh my god switching to synthetics from Dino in your old car will cause leak"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/3

Check the last post in this thread by Molakule for the most updated list of manual transmission fluids.

A dedicated MTL is always better than an ATF or motor oil if you get the correct viscosity. I suggest you match the viscosity recommended by the oem to the list and see what works. Sometimes you can move a little in eitherddirectionddepending on your climate and how it shifts.

Also I would skip the Purolator filters and go with a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra.

Is there a recommended oil for the manual transmission that I can pick up at a local parts store? Royal purple's website says it's 5w30 is compatible with Honda MTF, so I was thinking of using that.

I'd go to the Honda dealer and get the oem Honda MTF. Motor oil,I'd use dino 10W30 in your fave brand w/Honda oem oil filter.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

The oil is fine. We need to know what type of driving , average trip length etc, before we can say 7500 is fine.

Commuting will be it's primary use. Anywhere from 50 to 120 miles per day. 55mph+ cruising.

This vehicle is going from one extreme to another ie Low mileage over long period (probably running cold) to high mileage at reasonable speed running hot.

Check radiator hoses as these could deteriorate quickly after that period, keep an eye on the radiator as well. High heat under the bonnet impacting aged hoses will require continual inspection unless these have all been changed.
11.gif
13.gif

Last edited:
Went and changed the oil today. Discovered a Honda oil filter in place which leads me to believe based on the condition of the car the previous owner probably took it through their local honda dealer every 7500 miles.

Went and changed the oil today. Discovered a Honda oil filter in place which leads me to believe based on the condition of the car the previous owner probably took it through their local honda dealer every 7500 miles.

more like 3000 miles, that's what stealerships recommended back in the day specially...oh the rip offs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back