New Ford Transit E350 with Ecoboost 3.5--Oil Rec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased Saturday a new Ford Transit 15 passenger van to replace the old trusty Chevy Express. The Express was still going strong at 144,000 miles, but my wife had grown tired of it. (Who could blame her?) It was a great van and served us quite well.

I've got the new EcoBoost 3.5. I'm planning on M1 Extended Protection 5w30, which is the recommended weight, and a Motorcraft oil filter.

I just wanted to see what others are running and how they have performed, in this engine.

I know all the dino vs. syn stuff, but I run synthetic oil, period. I've had vehicles overheat and even had a Jeep blow all the oil out at high rpms, and I'm convinced synthetic oil increased the safety margin before any damage, even if only by a small amount. Besides, I'll run the maximum (mfr.) allowed interval, so the cost difference over the life of the vehicle is not significant, to me.

Today I'm getting under it to see how challenging it will be to change the oil filter. It looks like a pain in the butt on the F150. I'm hoping this one is easier. That's one thing I'll miss about the Express. The oil filter was mounted vertically and was right near the drain plug. It doesn't get better than that.

My reco is to search the 3.5L ecoboost threads for the F150. I would hesitate to run max OCI with this engine unless you ran several UOAs to get the glidepath on viscosity reading, fuel dilution etc for your engine.
I have 120 Transits on order with the 3.2L diesel. Fun times ahead learning the ins and outs of this new product for NA.
Toured the Kansas City Transit plants (stamping and assembly. Slick production methods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
My reco is to search the 3.5L ecoboost threads for the F150. I would hesitate to run max OCI with this engine unless you ran several UOAs to get the glidepath on viscosity reading, fuel dilution etc for your engine.
I have 120 Transits on order with the 3.2L diesel. Fun times ahead learning the ins and outs of this new product for NA.
Toured the Kansas City Transit plants (stamping and assembly. Slick production methods.

The first change will be at 1k, then the next at 3k. Then I'm off to the norm. I do run top tier gas, 90% of the time.

If the oil is easy to change, I'll do a couple UOA's and adjust, but if it isn't, I'm going the full distance. I'm betting these engines are going to prove to be very durable, even if they are hard on oil. That's why I'm thinking M1EP. I might even consider M1 0w40, or Rotella, but I'm ultimately going to go the mfr's recommended distance. [censored], I don't even know what that is yet. I'm only getting to the manual today.

On another note, wow, this thing is strong! It has more power and torque than the 6.0 in the Express, and I'm pretty sure the vehicle is lighter. (Unibody vs. body on frame.) It really moves it out.

Going from the dino Chevy Express, the difference in the way it drives is night and day. It feels much smaller and more nimble, and has GOBS of power with the EcoBoost. It is quieter, and the ergonomics are light years ahead, both for the driver and the rear seats. We went with the mid-roof, so my wife and kids can stand straight up and walk around in it. That also made for panoramic windows, which my kids LOVE. The cockpit is also like a greenhouse, with superb visibility. I'm already seeing about a 4 mpg gain over the Express in city driving, too. The one dang thing I can't understand about Ford is why there would be no floor mats with a loaded van with XLT trim?!? Payload is slightly better than the Express, but towing is about 1/2. I won't be towing more than 1500lbs, though, so it doesn't matter.

I'll be curious to see how the diesel drives. I had a chance at one, but the price was just too steep.

Thanks for the info, guys! I've been reading up on UOA's, and fuel dilution seems to be an issue, indeed.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan

The first change will be at 1k, then the next at 3k. Then I'm off to the norm. I do run top tier gas, 90% of the time.

If the oil is easy to change, I'll do a couple UOA's and adjust, but if it isn't, I'm going the full distance. I'm betting these engines are going to prove to be very durable, even if they are hard on oil. That's why I'm thinking M1EP. I might even consider M1 0w40, or Rotella, but I'm ultimately going to go the mfr's recommended distance. [censored], I don't even know what that is yet. I'm only getting to the manual today.

On another note, wow, this thing is strong! It has more power and torque than the 6.0 in the Express, and I'm pretty sure the vehicle is lighter. (Unibody vs. body on frame.) It really moves it out.

The nice thing about the Ecoboost engines is the low RPM that they start making torque. Practically right off idle.

Keep us updated on how the Transit holds up. They're wildly popular in Europe. Sad to see the old Econoline go.

I'd run M1 5w-30. Cheap, readily available and meets Ford's specification.

Love the looks and potential, still unable to find out how these hold up. I really appreciate the early owners telling us what they think...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Love the looks and potential, still unable to find out how these hold up. I really appreciate the early owners telling us what they think...

Hasn't this particular model been around in Europe for a while? The Eurovans do have a lot more interior volume than the American cargo vans.

The nice thing about the Transit is it can do it and be RWD.

Consider the NA model to be new from ground up. Time will tell of course. Hoping Ford engineering got it right.
Paying though the nose on the 6.0 L diesel engine.

Here it is. You can see the Express behind it. The Express felt huge, in every way. The Ford is every bit as long, much taller, but does not feel so huge from the driver's seat. From the back, though, it feels massive, with all that head room. The seats are so much better that they really can't be compared. It is like comparing the comfort of a DC-3 to a 787 Dreamliner.

20140830_110408_zpshuqt6stl.jpg

Congrats. I'll throw in my $0.02 as an owner of 2 Ecoboosts....

The SHO has been fed a diet of the dealer oil changed when the OLM says to since I bought it in Ded, 2009. Just clicked 79k now. No engine issues.

The F150, well, I'll be doing it myself with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. It doesn't get driven much - maybe 7-8k this year tops. It will get changed 2x a year fall and spring or when the OLM indicates. Just clicked 50k and no engine issues.

So for oil, I'd say just use a good quality oil, synthetic or conventional that meets Ford's spec and you will be fine.

As far as gas, don't waste your $$ on Top Tier. DI engines don't wash the valves and DI injectors don't get deposits. So you are paying more for nothing. Octane does make it run a little better so maybe put your $$ there.

I can say that both get the cheapest 87 swill I can find and no issues. Sometimes in the dead heat you can notice it but nothing bad at all. I ran a month of premium and noticed a tad better fuel economy but not enough to offset the increased $$.

Just my $0.02 so it's worth the price.
smile.gif

I drove a brand new 6.0 extended Express about a hundred miles form Columbus to Dayton on Friday.
It certainly drove better than the '94 Ford (only 70K actual miles!) I took to Columbus to be sold at a salvage auction, but I can't say that it drove very well.
Decent power, but very tall gearing and no sense of straight ahead.
The thing required more steering corrections than an Aerostar, and that's pretty bad.
I'm sure that this newer design Ford will be much better to drive.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Congrats. I'll throw in my $0.02 as an owner of 2 Ecoboosts....

The SHO has been fed a diet of the dealer oil changed when the OLM says to since I bought it in Ded, 2009. Just clicked 79k now. No engine issues.

The F150, well, I'll be doing it myself with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. It doesn't get driven much - maybe 7-8k this year tops. It will get changed 2x a year fall and spring or when the OLM indicates. Just clicked 50k and no engine issues.

So for oil, I'd say just use a good quality oil, synthetic or conventional that meets Ford's spec and you will be fine.

As far as gas, don't waste your $$ on Top Tier. DI engines don't wash the valves and DI injectors don't get deposits. So you are paying more for nothing. Octane does make it run a little better so maybe put your $$ there.

I can say that both get the cheapest 87 swill I can find and no issues. Sometimes in the dead heat you can notice it but nothing bad at all. I ran a month of premium and noticed a tad better fuel economy but not enough to offset the increased $$.

Just my $0.02 so it's worth the price.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing your experiences! The good news is that we have a Shell and Phillips 66 station that are my two primary filling stations, and they are the cheapest gas, while at the same time being top tier, so I get the best of both worlds. It is good to know that I can get cheap stuff elsewhere, though, such as on a trip, and not worry about it.

One thing I'm loving is the way the power band matches the gear ratios. It seems like it is always in a nice place in the power curve. No matter what speed it is going, it has tons of grunt with just a slight tip of the throttle, without climbing much in RPMs. I'm just amazed at how it feels, even with a full load. I played with it a bit tonight, as we drove out to eat with a full load of fuel, 9 kids, and three adults in the van. It just has effortless power. I'm averaging 15.5 in mostly stop and go driving, so I'm already 4.5 ahead of where the Express was on the same typical weekend routes we drive.

The low end grunt keeps it quiet. The Express had to wind out more before upshifts, and seemed to work harder to do it, so there was a lot more engine noise. I'm feeling like Ford really has a winner here. I did love the 6.0. It was a work-a-day engine that never gave us grief, and towed a 7500 lb deck boat for a few years, too. It just worked harder, was thirstier, and noisier. I'm sure it would have felt much better with a 6 speed, though, like the Transit has.

I also rode in the far back seat today. MUCH less jouncing around than in the Express. It has better seats and a much better behaved rear suspension set up. Much quieter, too, and the high roof, combined with the slightly off-center aisle, makes it significantly less claustrophobic than the Express or Econoline seating arrangement.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What does the seating arrangement look like? Just a bunch of benches or partial benches?

The rear seats look like 13 individual seats, although some are joined together. The second row is a joined group of 3 seats, then the 3rd row has two together on the driver's side, with an aisle, then a single just aft of the sliding door. The 4th row is the same, with two together and then a single behind the 3rd row single, then the last row is 4 together.
all but the last row recline a few degrees, which would be just enough to make it much nicer for a snooze. Every seating position has an adjustable head rest. With the XLT, each end and the two single seats have a fold down arm rest. The offset aisle between the seats is really nice. Counting the front seats, at the top, it would be like this:]

X X
XXX
XX X
XX X
XXXX

You can see how the aisle works. The mid-height roof makes it really easy to walk down that aisle. I'm the only one in the family who can't stand straight up, but it is close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back