Ac issue on focus STILL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ac froze up again. This will be the third time at the dealer so far they haven't done anything except evacuate and recharge. I took a picture this time since the dealer told me I was incorrect about it freezing up. The whole line is solid ice 1/8in thick. I love the car but 3 times in 1400 miles to the dealer still has a slight paint build up issue on the corner of the hood is really making regret the purchase. I am sitting here wondering why did I buy a ford. Hopefully this gets resolved. At least now I have a picture to prove I'm not crazy. The car only does it on lower settings max air and humid area's. Last time the dealer had it they put it in the sun on high and said if it didn't freeze then that it wouldn't. When I told them before hand how it froze up was the opposite of what they did. Very very frustrating.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Before you blame Ford, you need to evaluate the level of competency of the person doing the work.

It shouldn't have had a problem to begin with.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I am sitting here wondering why did I buy a ford.

Given your track record, I was wondering the same thing?
21.gif

I don't mean that to be rude, I'm just basing this on your post history, a Ford vehicle was kind of the last thing I expected you to purchase.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Before you blame Ford, you need to evaluate the level of competency of the person doing the work.

Yea this is a brand new car there really isnt any excuse and the tech is a moron to from what I've noticed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

I don't mean that to be rude, I'm just basing this on your post history, a Ford vehicle was kind of the last thing I expected you to purchase.

I respect them they didn't take a bail out and there vehicles are nice all around now. This is a freak issue but go figure if it can happen it will to me.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

While this sucks for the op, warranties wouldn't exist if new cars never had issues. Hope it gets resolved ram man.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Maybe a Ford Focus forum with the same problem, they may have an answet.

Tried the focus forum is not very good.

So the evaporator is freezing because it's working a little too well for the amount of air flowing across it, right?

You can run the fan at a higher speed, you can cycle the compressor on/off if there's a separate switch for this... if I were the Ford dealer, I'd bleed refrigerant until it was at the lowest end of the pressure range.

I am not an automotive mechanic, but this sounds like a defective low pressure switch, this is what cycles compressor on and off to prevent said ice berg. In automotive its not a safety as much as it is a means to keep freeze ups at bay.
Do you ever hear the compressor cycling? You should, especially on cooler days or at night.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

I respect them they didn't take a bail out and there vehicles are nice all around now. This is a freak issue but go figure if it can happen it will to me.

Fair enough. Just surprised me, that's all
cheers3.gif

How many miles is on the car?

Do you park under trees, because I am thinking that debris has gotten into the evap, whether it is from the outside environment or possibly something during the manufacturing process. Could it be that a rag or something else was left at the opening of the evap and got sucked into it? This would cause your problem. It really does sound like evap obstruction. Or the expansion valve.

Isnt there supposed to be a temp sensor/probe in the evaporator box to sense for freeze ups? Chrysler has used that since the early 90s.

Run the AC at the low fan speed while sitting still....you should hear the compressor cycling somewhat frequently under this condition. If not might look into the pressure switch as was mentioned in an earlier post. If it's freezing up all the time...a.k.a fan on hi, vehicle moving might be a low freon charge or leak. Check for air flow restrictions across inside coil...this can cause it also.

You said lower settings, max air and humid areas.

I don't quite understand. Is that to say that on low temp settings with high fan speeds? Or is it the other way around? Maybe changing the temp and fan combo around to achieve desired temp will work. For instance, my wife will almost always crank the temp all the way to the coldest and vary the fan speed. So instead of that, she could run it slightly warmer, but at a higher fan speed to achieve the same temp.

Never park under trees car has 1500 miles. And I think it has a variable displacement compressor so it won't cycle. I think it does any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back