General View Of Fram Tough Guards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GregGA
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Tough Guards are one of my favorite filters and one of the few that give me no start up noise on my Jeep. Strangely enough the orange can equivalent is very similar in design to the TG yet my Jeep does not like those at start up. dlundblad I tried the predecessor to the Ultra, the Extended Guard, on my Jeep and had start up issues too. I don't consider it a knock on the filters very, very few filters on my Jeep will prevent start up rattle. The Tough Guard, the Napa Silver and Motorcraft "S" series are the only ones I've found. I am done looking.

I fail to see how posting an orange can that was apparently run way beyond it's rated usage distance has much to do with a TG thread. Kinda like posting pics of a torn Classic that was run 15k when someone is asking about a PureOne.

What is your definition of start up rattle? My Jeep 4.0 makes a slight noise for a second or so till the oil pressure gauge swings up. Once or twice it has made a G_D awful clatter, so bad I shut the engine off fearing damage. I don't recall the filter when this happened, but it was either a Pure One or Napa Gold. Is your "rattle" catastrophic sounding, or a slight noise?

Mine was catastrophic sounding. It completly went away when I used the OEM Mopar filter.

I would rather use the TG8A, vs going to a Jeep dealer. I currently have a M1 on it, which I got on sale from Amazon. Will try TG8A next.

Walmart carries the OEM filter for 6.xx. Mo-90 IIRC. The TG8A is nice, but still gives me a bit of noise. The OEM was quiet. If you have a Napa around you, consider their Silver filter as well.

Originally Posted By: GregGA

What is your definition of start up rattle? My Jeep 4.0 makes a slight noise for a second or so till the oil pressure gauge swings up. Once or twice it has made a G_D awful clatter, so bad I shut the engine off fearing damage. I don't recall the filter when this happened, but it was either a Pure One or Napa Gold. Is your "rattle" catastrophic sounding, or a slight noise?

I'm talking about awful sounding clatter, almost sounds like someone is playing castanets in the top of my engine till the oil gets back up there. I hate it! Fortunately I have found 3 filters that will prevent it 99% of the time, Tough Guards, Motorcraft "S" series and Napa Silvers. I have tried a host of others, many expensive high quality filters and they don't cut it. No knock on the filters, I know it's my picky Jeep but I stick with what prevents it.

KCJeep : Have you tried the standard WIX black can oil filter in your 4.0L Jeep ? I'm thinking they may be the same oil filter as the NAPA Silver ?

The only Wix branded filter I'm aware of being available here is the one that the Napa Gold is a clone of. Even though they are a higher tier filter, they do not work on my Jeep. Ironically the cheaper Silver does, go figure.

I use a lot of Golds on our other cars though, great filters.

Thanks KCJeep - NAPA store very close to me so NAPA Silver and Fram Tough Guard give me a choice with my 4.0L .

Tough Guard is OEM on Honda and service replacement on Subaru - just ADBV and gasket differences. I'd use one if OEM or Wix wasn't available.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Tough Guard is OEM on Honda and service replacement on Subaru - just ADBV and gasket differences. I'd use one if OEM or Wix wasn't available.

No it isn't, the efficiency of the TG is NOT the same as the efficiency of the OE Honda (A02) filter.

The TG filters the oil. The Honda is a rock catcher
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back