help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys hope everyone is well.Maybe you all can help me here. I need reliable used car. I have about 3500 to spend. What are some good cars to look for?

can the person using the car check the oil level?

if so older saturns (1996-?) seem to sell well for economy transportation.

obviously when buying something of that vintage you need to have it inspected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrjlube
Hello guys hope everyone is well.Maybe you all can help me here. I need reliable used car. I have about 3500 to spend. What are some good cars to look for?

Spend it on the best Camry you can find.

Older cars known for having good reliability tend to cost more.
Compare an old Dodge Neon to the same model year Civic as an example. There are diamonds in the rough such as a Ford Focus with a stick and the DOHC engine.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
2003-2005 Civic

Tons down here, rust free and economical.

LT4... Where's down here?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Saturn S Series
Chevy Prizm
Ford Ranger or Crown Vic
Volvo 940

+1 on the Prism.

Had a '95 with closing on 200k miles. Ran like dream, ultra reliable, great in the snow...

Timing chain and starter where the only investments.

The only thing that car didn't like was the guard rail my daughter introduced it to

Anything with a 3.8 engine.

They are normally dirt cheap and they can be bought with less then 100k miles for half of what your willing to spend.

They are strong motors that are well built and regarded as the second best engine GM has ever made.

Depending on the car its not unheard of to get 28-32 mpg highway.

Elderly people love theses engines for some reason. Who knows they where widely used so that might be why.

Plus anything you don't spend on the car could be used for parts in the future if needed.

Nothing against Toyota/Honda but from past experience they are mainly teen cars (later years 95-02) which have overly inflated value and with getting a teen car you might be buying someone else's problem. Teens really are not know to take car of vehicles. Nothing against them but I'm sure if we all look back at our first car or first fast car we will mostly see we are also guilty.

Way I look at it is an elderly lady can own the same car for 20 years take excellent care of it. Keep up on maintiance and the car will still have nearly the exact same value then if 5 teenagers owned the car over its lifetime.

For reliability Id echo toyota and honda. Choose type based on size you need. Not sure what you will get for 3500$..

2003-2005 Civic

+1 on this one.

My sister owns a 2005 Honda Civic that was given to her by my mom. She drives like she is in a rally race and beats the heck out of that little car. She has had 5 flat tires due to "construction", the car has been off road twice (that we know of), she has hit a deer, and it has been rear-ended. Just last week I had to zip tie part of the front bumper back on because she went too fast over a speed bump... or something.
crazy.gif

The car has 160k on it and consumes no oil. It runs like the day my mom bought it brand new off the lot back in 2005. I'd like to find one for myself with a 5 speed as a daily commuter car.

Anything Japanese or any GM 3800. Lots of clean low mileage Olds/Buicks/Pontiacs can be had in that price range.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
2003-2005 Civic

+1 on this one.

My sister owns a 2005 Honda Civic that was given to her by my mom. She drives like she is in a rally race and beats the heck out of that little car. She has had 5 flat tires due to "construction", the car has been off road twice (that we know of), she has hit a deer, and it has been rear-ended. Just last week I had to zip tie part of the front bumper back on because she went too fast over a speed bump... or something.
crazy.gif

The car has 160k on it and consumes no oil. It runs like the day my mom bought it brand new off the lot back in 2005. I'd like to find one for myself with a 5 speed as a daily commuter car.

...your sister is a bit aggressive, she is not a sumo wrestler by any chance?

Prizm/ Corollas up to 2002 or so had a "C**p Edition", trim line CE or VE, that had a 3 speed automatic. These are everywhere! Stick shifts or 4 speeds give more mileage, lower RPM, and are more expensive/ harder to find.

Someone who'd buy a 3 speed corolla already bought on reputation alone and won't be a "car guy". As such their maintenance habits will be all over the place.

Also look at Cobalts and HHRs.
I just picked up a 2005 Neon with 149k for $1000. Proactively did the timing belt and am calling it good.
01.gif
I'm particularly impressed by what feels like a double thick foam seat cushion compared to other tin-boxes.

With $3500 in your pocket you can't be too picky on make/model, if it's clean and well maintained, hop on it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
With $3500 in your pocket you can't be too picky on make/model, if it's clean and well maintained, hop on it.

Exactly, best advice so far!

For $3500 there is no reliable model out there. Condition and maintenance history is what matters. That's for anybody trying to apply logic, fan boys will of course disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back