1998 Olds 88-3800 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's my latest. I'm going to see a 1998 Olds 88 with the 3800 engine. I seem to remember that there are cooling, head gasket issues with this year. Is that correct?

Thanks!

I think no, that's a series II, the series III came out in 99 or 2000. A plastic intake manifold with EGR "stovepipe" means the (slightly more) troublesome series 3, IIRC.

Of course the rest of the car's condition matters too, blah blah blah. Get the trans warmed up good and see if it slam shifts.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think no, that's a series II, the series III came out in 99 or 2000. A plastic intake manifold with EGR "stovepipe" means the (slightly more) troublesome series 3, IIRC.

Of course the rest of the car's condition matters too, blah blah blah. Get the trans warmed up good and see if it slam shifts.

Not quite correct. The Series III came out in 2005, and fixed the lower intake manifold gasket and UIM issues that plagued the Series II. The Series III is generally considered more reliable than a unfixed Series II.

That's a Series II 3800 in that 1998. It should have been fixed by now. The lower intake manifold gaskets are visible between the heads and lower intake. If they're silver-gray, it's been fixed. Likewise, if the nylon upper intake manifold does not say "Delco" on it, it's an updated aftermarket piece.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Not quite correct. The Series III came out in 2005, and fixed the lower intake manifold gasket and UIM issues that plagued the Series II. The Series III is generally considered more reliable than a unfixed Series II.

That's a Series II 3800 in that 1998. It should have been fixed by now. The lower intake manifold gaskets are visible between the heads and lower intake. If they're silver-gray, it's been fixed. Likewise, if the nylon upper intake manifold does not say "Delco" on it, it's an updated aftermarket piece.

+1

My Toronado Trofeo 3800 had a metal (plenum?) on top and said "V6" written in red in a circle. It looked like this:

w6qs0j.jpg

Well... it didn't look good. No evidence of repair and there was visible oil and/or coolant leaking from the heads. I didn't pursue it.

Thanks for the invaluable pointers!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My Toronado Trofeo 3800 had a metal (plenum?) on top and said "V6" written in red in a circle. It looked like this:

*snip*

That sure is a blast from the past. I had a 1987 Delta 88 with the same intake manifold and I do not think it was called the 3800 yet. I think it was just called the 3.8 (231CI?) back then. I could be wrong. Here's what mine looked like...

[URL='http://smg.photobucket.com/user/turneras/media/Other%20Cars/delta6.jpg.html'][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/turneras/Other%20Cars/delta6.jpg[/URL]

EDIT: Hmm, GM did some weird stuff back then. The Trofeo had the Pre Series I 3800. Weird...

Series III hit the streets in 2004. My 04 GTP has one.

What years were the troublesome lower intakes? Did any other models have the same issue? I have a 93 olds with a 3300( 3.3). Any issues with those?

96 to 03 ish. After that they updated intakes and gaskets. The older ones would fail, but over a long period of time as they used the conventional green anti-freeze. Maintenance would determine how long the original plastic gaskets would last in the 96 to 04 and the to a lesser extent the older cars.

The plastic intakes on the N/A models with the EGR stove pipe were more troublesome than the supercharged cars with the aluminum lower plenum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back