8000 H&K G36 Assault Rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.
8000 German-made assault rifles are headed to Kurdish forces in northern Iraq.

Quote:
The German government has announced it will supply 70 million euros worth of high-end military equipment to Kurdish forces fighting Islamic State militants in Iraq. The move is a major shift in Germany's post-WWII ethos. The German government announced on Sunday evening it would send anti-tank missiles and machine guns to Kurdish fighters battling Islamic State (IS) extremists in northern Iraq. The German Defense Ministry said the arms, as well as protective gear and communications equipment, would be enough to supply 4,000 Kurdish Peshmerga fighters.

The delivery will take place over three shipments to start at the end of September. It will include 8,000 German-made G36 assault rifles and ammunition, 30 MILAN anti-tank systems, and five heavily armored Dingo infantry vehicles. Berlin will also send 50 million euros ($65.6 million) in humanitarian aid to the region.

NEWS LINK

Heckler-Koch-G36.jpg

Now if only they could teach them how to use ammo effectively.

Nothing against them but ducking behind a wall while blindly firing a magazine every 10-20 seconds can get expensive.

Its still good to hear tho. I can see Germany's interest in this move since they are very close. Last thing they want is Syria to fall then ISIS/ISIL invade Turkey. If they where to fall then EU would be in a real no win situation.

Of course this is hypothetical mostly but I'm sure that hasn't stopped many EU nations (mainly Greece) from worrying.

Dangerous games, arming any group in there will lead to new conflicts in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey%E2%80%93PKK_conflict

Nebroch, While I agree with you, at the moment there are bigger fish to fry.. Geopolitics is really a game of timeliness.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I wonder why the shipments will not start until the end of September.

Just a guess, but Europe slows down a lot in August.

I ordered some scanners mfg in Denmark in late July and the distributor said don't plan on them until Mid/late Sept.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Somewhat surprised they are not dumping their old G3 rifles on the Kurds. Unless they disposed of them already.

I think those have been gone for several years, now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Now if only they could teach them how to use ammo effectively.

Nothing against them but ducking behind a wall while blindly firing a magazine every 10-20 seconds can get expensive.

Its still good to hear tho. I can see Germany's interest in this move since they are very close. Last thing they want is Syria to fall then ISIS/ISIL invade Turkey. If they where to fall then EU would be in a real no win situation.

Of course this is hypothetical mostly but I'm sure that hasn't stopped many EU nations (mainly Greece) from worrying.

Turkey = NATO. Yep it would be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back