Beware of energy guide label inconsistencies; 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Were shopping new refrigerators in August of 2014. I noted a wide discrepancy in the ratings of some refrigerators (Samsungs) from others.

It turns out that there is a new EnergyGuide label (more black on yellow), and this relates back to new and different energy test protocols.

These new tests are more realistic supposedly, and reflect more realistic energy use.

Walking through Home Depot and Lowes, it turns out that only Samsung is providing units with the new labels. So if shopping and looking at energy, you cannot look at the labeling with the two different styles of label, and compare side by side.

Interestingly, Consumer's reports claims that they do their own efficiency tests to identify operating costs, and they differ from what the energy guide labels claim. Interestingly, some of what I've seen on the old labels is similar to what CR says,and some are vastly different. So I don't know who/what to trust, but the values are changing, as are the tests, so just beware.

Thanks for the info.

I live in N.Y.
Heat in Winter / NO AC in Summer

I plugged my Frig into a Kill-A-Watt Meter for One year.
I took weekly Readings of wattage used.

My frig is 25 years old.
Can't find my notes, but, frig used more watts in Summer than Winter.

I know I should buy a newer frig.
I do look at 'yellow' energy labels.
I will only buy Energy Star Rated appliances.

I had an old Dehumidifier in the basement.
Recently I replaced it with a newer Energy Star rated.
My Electric Bill went down about $25.00 per Summer Month.
So, they are making these appliances to save energy.

I would like to replace my 2002 Ford Ranger.
But:
The 'loss' in investment income is about equal to what I now pay in gas each year.
So, I will wait till it needs replacing (rust away / accident) and then buy something that gets better gas mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back