HDEO for d.i. worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
No specific goal, just kicking the can around and getting other's opinions on HDEO and it's merits where it comes to these direct injection applications.

The biggest benefit I could see would be that an ACEA E7/E9 type HDEO would have a rather high TBN (despite being mid-SAPS) for extended drains. Of course, M1 0w-40 or an A5/B5 synthetic is nothing to sneeze at, either. If it were me, I'd be tempted to stick with shorter oil changes on a good conventional, but UOAs would tell the tale of the durability of the lubricants.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...If it were me, I'd be tempted to stick with shorter oil changes on a good conventional, but UOAs would tell the tale of the durability of the lubricants.

It seems to keep coming back to this. I think my stash of EDGE is almost finished so I have some thinking to do. At least concerning the 2.4 since I plan on keeping a 4k mile oci.

Last edited:
Well, there goes my evidence....I think the thread with a couple of uoas and even a graph for the oils trending wsa deleted recently.....

Oh well...Since everyone speaks highly about it, with more uoas showing it does fine in n54s, that thread may not have been credible. Though I should mention how much I love Pennzoil Ultra's Euro formula....It doesn't really burn off in the FSI motor.

I've searched around online for 3 hours straight and still cannot find them...

I can't even find the link for the thread. It was a nice little report too; complete with a graph and what may have been a couple of UOAs concerning Mobil's use in FSI and N54 engines and how it reacted to the fuel dilution....

Of course, it may not have been credible after all....If that's the case, I'll gladly consider 0w40 for use this winter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
I've searched around online for 3 hours straight and still cannot find them...

I can't even find the link for the thread. It was a nice little report too; complete with a graph and what may have been a couple of UOAs concerning Mobil's use in FSI and N54 engines and how it reacted to the fuel dilution....

Of course, it may not have been credible after all....If that's the case, I'll gladly consider 0w40 for use this winter!

I sometimes forget what I posted yesterday
wink.gif
dont sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back