Divorcing Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: tig1

Since XM is one of the largest suppliers of PAO to oil blenders, well you get the drift.

I appreciate the reply tig, but that tells me nothing unfortunately.

It should. XM (along with most oil companies) will not tell you the make up of their base stock. Even Amsoil is a blend from what has been said here on BITOG. M1 does contain PAO and esters in every M1 badged oil. XM and Sopus both develope some of the higher quality base stocks. Here is a link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mineral_Oil_Question.aspx

Also all M1 oils contain esters.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Does_Mobil_1_Contain_Ester_Oil.aspx

Last edited:
Also all M1 oils contain esters.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Does_Mobil_1_Contain_Ester_Oil.aspx

They said "Mobil 1 contains Ester." They did not say that all M1 oils contain ester. Also, how much ester does it contain? 10%? 1%? 0.1%?

Anyway, the whole group composition discussion is irrelevant. It's the mfg approvals that tell the story.

But the point I was trying to make earlier is that PAO (and Ester) are expensive to make. In comparison, VISOM is less expensive to make. So if they can achieve similar performance with VISOM, then guess which one they're going to primarily use?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Apollo14 - There is a lot of behind the publicity work that results in OEMs Approving or endorsing lubricant.

This article - thanks to LUBE REPORT, Volume 12, Issue 14 from 12/4/2012 gives some insights into the needs of continuing lubricant development. (recent issues in China has exacerbated their issue own issues on the same front)

Schenk said specification writers – and the lubricants industry – will have more work to do in the future. Daimler has already begun work on the next Mercedes-Benz upgrade. One of the priorities for that update will be to require that oils be thinner in order to further improve fuel economy.

“It’s clear, with the next specification we will have to go to lower viscosity,” he said.

ENDS

Thanks Doug. I've edited my quote of your post just to zero in on a few things.

Firstly, thanks for sharing such an informative article. I have no doubt that there's a lot of work that goes into formulating lubricants but once the tests are established, many lubricants go on to meet those standards. One just has to go to some of the Mercedes sheets to see the oil choices available worldwide.

However, are you saying that when the manufacturer endorses / recommends a particular lubricant, that on average, across all the tests required to meet the standard, that lubricant actually performed the best and by a meaningful margin?

Not necessarily but the lubricant will be at an absolute and consistent standard within their (Worldwide) Marketplace. So, in some cases there may be a margin as it depends where the others performed against the standard – at the upper or lower levels! Remember that local Blending is commonplace within the Oil Industry!

In the case of Nissan, do you think they strongly recommend M1 0w40 because the engineers are being cautious and just haven't tested other lubricants that have similar endorsements to M1 0w40 or is it that there is something particularly special about M1 0w40 that they don't expect to find in other competing oils?

As stated before, when the testing and development is done within known performance factors and with known end results then it would be perhaps wise to endorse the known end result. In my experience the Japanese have been inclined to specify lubricant choices to meet the known end applications. This why they often recommend the lowest rated products they can and numerous viscosity choices. After all they sell lots of their products in Asia and many Third World countries!

It's also interesting to hear that the European manufacturers are planning to go to lower viscosities in future. What is revealing in that article is that along with going thinner, they are going to have to improve performance to meet other criteria. Thus I can see how in the years ahead we'll have longer term Euro owners complaining that the move to thinner oil was for CAFE and that "thicker oil protects better" without having the insight you've shared with us that these newer oils also improve performance in other areas.

Lastly, if you get a chance, it would be great to have your thoughts on my Euro oil UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3464773/PU_Euro_5w40._5209_miles._4375

I understand one data point is not the best but any recommendations would be most welcome.

Typically I try not to comment on single pass UOAs but the lubricant’s condition “looks” ok to me with much life left – the TBN and TAN relationship should be arrived at by individual trending. That said, it’s now common to say that an OC should be considered when the TBN is at 50% of VOA TBN.

I ran many of my own diesel engines to an average TBN of 2.9 and TAN of 5.9 at OC. The main condemnation points were Fe @150ppm or Soot >3.5% or thereabout

Sorry my reply is not neater - refer to the bold print in your reply quote

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I found this by searching "Mobil 1 base stocks" on Google"

http://www.exxonmobil.com/UK-English/Basestocks/PDS/GLXXENBSKEMVisom.aspx

http://boardreader.com/thread/Mobil_1_PAO_Visom_Bob_Is_The_Oil_Guy_ld4wX16o0l.html

Yeah, this makes more sense. The ILSAC M1 grades are mostly Visom, that's been mentioned before. In fact, it's been mentioned that M1 0w40 is also primarily Visom, but with a higher percentage PAO than the run of the mill M1. Nothing official though, just the latest speculation

The MSDS for the 0w-20 EP though shows something like 70% PAO IIRC. I believe the situation is somewhat similar for the AFE oils too, IIRC, though the percentage isn't as high.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I found this by searching "Mobil 1 base stocks" on Google"

http://www.exxonmobil.com/UK-English/Basestocks/PDS/GLXXENBSKEMVisom.aspx

http://boardreader.com/thread/Mobil_1_PAO_Visom_Bob_Is_The_Oil_Guy_ld4wX16o0l.html

Yeah, this makes more sense. The ILSAC M1 grades are mostly Visom, that's been mentioned before. In fact, it's been mentioned that M1 0w40 is also primarily Visom, but with a higher percentage PAO than the run of the mill M1. Nothing official though, just the latest speculation

The MSDS for the 0w-20 EP though shows something like 70% PAO IIRC. I believe the situation is somewhat similar for the AFE oils too, IIRC, though the percentage isn't as high.

Totally believable for the EP 0w20. I'd wager that the EP 5w20/5w30 have slightly more PAO included also (but not 70% like 0w20 EP) vs the current classic M1

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: DustyBones
I can understand why the OP wants the split. I grew up on pennzoil and Castrol. When I got my own ride it was Castrol from day one, it still is. No need to change because it has run perfect in everything I have had.

Then one day the wife says she will pick up oil for me. She knows what to get but M1 was onsale. So I poured it in. First start the car ran a tad rough and ticked. The wife said after it warmed up it was worse. So I dumped it out and put GTX back in it. Ran perfectly smooth with no noise again. Now I run CHM in her car, same story, runs smooth for the entire 7500 mile OCI. Back in 09 in the PacNW there was no 5w30 in any brand, nothing, but plenty of 5w20 everywhere in every brand, so GTX 5w20 went in. Ran just as good as the 5w30 for 7500 miles. But that M1 5w30 was just horrible.

My brother buys into all the hype. Ran M1 in a malibu with a 5.3 in it, it clicked and clacked, ran a Equinox he had with M1 and it was a clicking clacking monster. Now he has a 3.5 Eco Boost F150. Ran M1 in that aswell and the noise was terrible, sounded like it was gonna fall apart. Then one day he has turbo problems and 2 months later he has all new everything under warranty replaced and ford gave him a forever service plan as a we are sorry it blew up. Now it has Motor Craft syn blend 5w30 in it and the flipping thing is smooth as can be. He says it is the new rebuilt motor, Im not buying it. His motor runs so flipping quiet now it is very noticeable.

Divorce that oil. Everyone complains about it, especially if you ride a Harley, I can pick out right away the guys who run it by the top end noise. No way I will ever buy it on purpose and I would rather run CHM 10,000 miles and wait for more to get in stock before I ran it. The old oil with 7500 on it will run more smooth.

I got my 01 3.0 Vulcan powered Ranger at the start of the year and it had 5w20 in it, dude I bought it from works at a quick lube. Ran fine on it, till the day I put that truck to work after I fixed some minor issues. That light oil was toast in 2,000 miles. It does not hold up well to hauling and towing (in that motor) at all. I believed my experience in the car would prove it to be fine. Not in a hard worked motor, maybe if it was a point a to point b truck and only ever hauled a pack of smokes and a monster, but I work it. Filled it with CHM 10w30 and with 3,000 miles on the current oil it is not as burnt up as the 5w20 was and I have worked it harder with this oil change than what came in it.

Bottom line is you have to match the oil to the application. In my case M1 did bad in a car that is easy on oil and light viscosity oil in the truck is bad for working it hard every day it sees pavement.

What I dont get after lurking here for years is how everyone defends M1 when people try the koolaid. It uses oil, car never used a drop before, it runs hotter, turns black super fast, motoer runs rough on it, motor sounds like spoons bouncing around the oil pan and valve cover. Then the fanbois pipe up, run it a few OCIs, you get used to the noise, you get used to the consumption. I can only imagine if the coin were reversed and everyone who used M1 forever switched to Castrol and said it uses oil, runs rough, sounds terrible, no oil on dip stick after 3,000 miles. Yall would open the gates of the hate machine right quick.

So the OP noticed what everyone does who tries the koolaid, its no big deal, better oils are out there. Pick one, just dont go back to paying for a mediocre oil and paying a bunch for advertising. Too easy.

Castrol:
2003330ivcg03.jpg

338iengine04.jpg

Mobil 1:
M5driveway02.jpg

rockers.jpg

I could of course put some context and history to the pictures but why bother if we are just tossing out hyperbole and conjecture eh?
smirk.gif

I've torn down a number of engines run on Mobil 1, they all were spotless. I've also NEVER had an engine noisier with M1, and that's probably 30+ engines to your three. The 302 in the first set of Mobil 1 pictures has 338,000Km on it, has ZERO bore wear (visible cross hatching still in the bores), factory compression, zero consumption and makes 100+HP more than stock. THAT engine, along with our 425HP built 312 Interceptor were the two engines that proved to me that the product performed.

Oh, and we ran this engine on Mobil 1 too (the 0w-40):
nateengine01.jpg

nateengine02.jpg

It came apart (again) to get the link-bar lifters installed.

I'm sure GTX is a fine oil (my grandfather used it and VWB because he got it on sale by the case.... It was never any more or less quiet than M1 in the same engine BTW) but some of the anecdotes tossed around here are utterly ridiculous.

Thanks for putting these pics on here. I've used Mobil 1 in everything for years and have had the same experiences you point out. Never had excess engine noise and have used it in 2 Harleys and 2 [censored] bikes. It quiets the Harleys down and the syn gear oil makes their trans shift slick as snot. I use it in my Mercedes diesel with 77k miles and 10k oci and the cam, chain and gears are spotless. What more can you ask from an oil.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
Well after reading through the 13 pages it seems there is no reason for me to divorce Mobil 1 and I just went to Walmart and picked up a 5qt jug and a extra quart. Got oil and new Toyota oil filter ready to go.

Guess I didn't need to come back to this thread to post about the upcoming $10 rebate on Pennzoil starting Sept 1st. At least I didn't have to go through 13 pages to see if you were considering Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
Well after reading through the 13 pages it seems there is no reason for me to divorce Mobil 1 and I just went to Walmart and picked up a 5qt jug and a extra quart. Got oil and new Toyota oil filter ready to go.

Guess I didn't need to come back to this thread to post about the upcoming $10 rebate on Pennzoil starting Sept 1st. At least I didn't have to go through 13 pages to see if you were considering Pennzoil.

I was going to try PP but every store I went all the jugs had broken cap seals. I would love to try it in the Toyota! Pennzoil HM runs like a champ in my Civic!

All things considered, I believe Mobil 1 is still the overall gold standard. Not just in performance per se, but consistency, marketing and value.

The base oil war is old and done with for the most part. Mobil, like probably many other blenders, use different base oils for different purposes to tailor specific characteristics they are looking for.

For example, and this is just speculation, if M1 AFE has mor PAO than EP 0w20, that could be because Mobil 1 AFE is tailored to give you the best fuel economy possible so the extreme cold temp pump-ability will help with that, while the EP may have a slightly more robust additive system (VOA's seem to confirm this) for slightly longer drain intervals.

Mobil does a nice job with keeping their PDS's clean and up to date.

Originally Posted By: buster
but consistency

This is why I don't use M1 anymore; consistency problems.
The inconsistency really came to light during Katrina.
To their credit, it seems they've done something about it, though.

The Katrina point is well taken, but do recall that one can cherry pick issues from everyone. SOPUS can't help but reinvent their oil every six months or they're not happy (and they still can't effectively distribute their flagship product). Castrol changes their additive package without letting anyone know. Ashland rails against dexos1 then caves royally. RP switches from dated certifications all the way up to and including formal dexos1 certification.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The Katrina point is well taken, but do recall that one can cherry pick issues from everyone. SOPUS can't help but reinvent their oil every six months or they're not happy (and they still can't effectively distribute their flagship product). Castrol changes their additive package without letting anyone know. Ashland rails against dexos1 then caves royally. RP switches from dated certifications all the way up to and including formal dexos1 certification.

Positively the case!

but consistency

Well yeah, that was due to a massive Hurricane LOL.

Actually why don't you explain why it matters?

You are wrong about M1 being grp 3. M1 oils, all of them, are a blend of 3+, 4, and 5 which many believe is a better base stock than 4 or 5 alone.

Of which group constitutes the largest percentage of M1 5w30?

Consistency problems post Katrina? You mean the non-API cert oil that was sold during that time? Surely you have read why they did that. Also surely you know that the company stated that the alternative formulation was equal in performance to the previous formulation.

And if that's what you are talking about, you do know that ExxonMobil then continued to use the additive formulation that was in the non-API oil, right?

but consistency

Nice backpedal. I like how you make claims as if you know something, and then when you are shown to be ignorant of the facts you say "whatever is in it".

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
What ever is in it it's a whole lot quieter & smoother than Mobil-1 in both my Hemi 5.7 & 4.6 Modular V8! That's proof enough for me! Lol

Has there been a divorce between the OP and Mobil 1 ?

You need to be separated for at least a year before you can legally divorce.

This event should be celebrated as it maybe BITOGs 1st official divorce.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

There appears to have been a divorce (or at least a temporary separation) between DustyBones and BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: virginoil

There appears to have been a divorce (or at least a temporary separation) between DustyBones and BITOG.

Wondering what the reincarnated screen name will be.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Nice backpedal. I like how you make claims as if you know something, and then when you are shown to be ignorant of the facts you say "whatever is in it".

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
What ever is in it it's a whole lot quieter & smoother than Mobil-1 in both my Hemi 5.7 & 4.6 Modular V8! That's proof enough for me! Lol

My ears & senses don't lie dude! It is what it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back