Decision Point: Mobil-1 M1-210 EP has no front bypass, Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you worry too much, but I also know that many BITOGers share your concerns.

Personally, I don't think the location of the BPV makes much difference. In theory, a dome end BPV seems bad, but I doubt that it actually translates into bad things in the real world.

I would worry more about the cost/benefit ratio of the M1 filter, more than the location of the BPV. I am a former M1 filter user, but have switched to Purolator Pure One filters. The cost of the M1 filters was just too high for me, & my oil changes come around every 3 months, which amounts to 6k miles.

That's my $.02

wavinwayne- I knew it...I worry too much!
smile.gif

I share your thoughts on the price vs. performance of the Mobil-1 filters...just a little too expensive for my blood. I've been using Motorcraft's for many of my past oil changes, so I'm with you on the cheap but good oil filter route.

The point of me running the Mobil-1 EP filter this time around was to see how it trended with my past results, which I've been keeping track of via UOA. My last UOA is here: Mobil-1 5W-30 EP (4 Qts.) + 15W-50 EP(1 Qt.), 2003 Ford 4.0L SOHC V-6, 5756 mile OCI.

The other option here is to not run a Mobil-1 EP filter, get a Motorcraft like I've been doing, and try another synthetic - I think I'd lean towards German Castrol - and maybe do 2-3 runs of that to see how it does compared to Mobil-1 & Mobil-1 EP.

It's an interesting debate: Run Mobil-1 5W-30 EP (which is a thin 30 weight) and a Mobil-1 EP filter (which has a closed end BPV), or, run German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (which is a mid-heavy 30 weight) and run a Motorcraft FL-820S (which has a threaded end BPV)...which combo would bypass less and be better on cold starts?

Chuck

There was no bypass valve as Ford spec's.

You might be surprised to know Ford does not spec an engine end by-pass valve for aftermarket filters.

If you think about it..then every filter made by every filter manufacturer with the dome end by-pass would not "meet or exceed OEM specs".

The relationship of the valve within the filter is not part of the spec. The opening setting is...

I'm going to be doing an oil change either today or tomorrow morning on my '03 Ranger, which needs - if I go with it - a Mobil-1 M1-210 oil filter.

I actually had it in my hands last night, and was about to purchase, when I opened it up to run my finger in the threads to make sure there weren't any metal shavings, I noticed that the only thing at the threaded end was threads: There was no bypass vavle as Ford spec's.

I'm sure there is a bypass valve in this thing, so, it means it's at teh closed end.

Anyone have an opinion on how bad this will be using Mobil-1 5W-30 EP in a St. Louis, MO climate this time of year?

My worry is that this thing is going to be in bypass everytime I start it up, and will be washing dirty oil back over the element and therefore releasing bad things back into my engine...

Am I getting a little too crazy here, or what?

Chuck

wavinwayne- That'll be my next combo almost for sure...I decided I was way over analyzing this, and went with the Mobil-1 5W-30 Extended Performance and the Mobil-1 M1-210 Extended Performance oil filter...it's tempting to go with a 15,000 mile OCI, but I'll just have to reign myself in...
smile.gif

vad- In 5,000 miles or so, I'll be joining your ranks...
smile.gif

Filter guy- That's very interesting...everything I've read - although I admit I haven't personally gone and read the Ford spec. - is that a filter must have the BPV located in the threaded end to meet Ford spec....however, what you say does make sense, so I do believe you.

Just wierd that Ford indicates it's so important, but then lets filter manufacturers slide...
dunno.gif

Thanks for the replies all!

Chuck

Motorcrafts are the best overall value filters. Sure wish they offered applications for all vehicles. Sure wish the xtra-long FL1A had a silicone ADBV too. All the ones I have examined don't. I realize the bigger filters cost more to make, but if they needed to charge an additional $1 for it, I'd buy it in a NY-heartbeat.

Make a long story short.. Champion Labs has had the Ford engine biz a long time. Champ patented the engine end by-pass valve for Ford. At one time Champ supplied other filter companies with the by-pass valve.

Champ is the only filter company that incorporates the design of the by-pass valve into the endcap itself. So the by-pass valve is not a "drop in" style.

Anyway..Champ was trying to get a price increase out of Ford. Ford said they wouldn't accept and would go elsewhere to get their filters. The Prez at the time said go ahead but not with our by-pass you won't. Ford said it was theirs. The Prez said you better check the patent..
wink.gif
Champ kept the biz and got a price increase. ( I think this happened in the 70's)

I believe some time after Ford changed the OEM specs on the by-pass to just the opening pressure and not style or location within the filter to get away from the patent that Champ has.
Could be wrong though...
grin.gif

But remember the Oem spec and the Motocraft specs are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back