2007 Focus air filter Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if one upman ship is good for this site. It can give pause to some because of the rudeness a few have here. It's the putdown game without faceing the other person.

I realize I could have PM the Pics, because I received PMs asking me to. To my knowledge, my PICs are the first recorded here on BITOG of this type of air filter. With the exception of a very few, this thread was hijacked into how needless, wasteful, and how lack of engine care skills I have, because I changed my air filter.

Frankly, I'm glad I did for those that had a REAL interest in seeing how this filter worked.

After seeing the guts of this thing I believe the filtering ability of this filter is very good and for a long change interval. But the design flaw was in the sealing of the thing where it can't be inspected.
Sorry JOD, but inspecting air filters is normal auto maint. for car guys.

All others need not apply.

I'm not worried about what others think.....I like the fact you where thinking outside the box, and it is not going to hurt anything. And this is not the first time I have seen this either...

Bottom line, it's a mod. If the kids are adding superchargers and the like, why can't you change the air box? It's not like it is going to mess anything up! I can think a few others who do "change" stuff " on their cars who would like it as well... Besides, I'm sure it's beyond paid for (the car,that is ), and it's not like you could change it back if you wanted to....

Besides, it's fun to work in your car...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Frankly, I'm glad I did for those that had a REAL interest in seeing how this filter worked.

After seeing the guts of this thing I believe the filtering ability of this filter is very good and for a long change interval. But the design flaw was in the sealing of the thing where it can't be inspected.

Don't get me wrong tig, I fully appreciate the pics you shared and they solidify my belief, and hopefully others as well, that this is a very well made air filter that can truly be called "lifetime", although not for all circumstances. Sorry for not communicating this with you and thanks for sharing.
cheers3.gif

Sorry JOD, but inspecting air filters is normal auto maint. for car guys.

I think that this is the point some of us are trying to get across. There is no need to "inspect" the air filer because in a lot of instances it does more harm than good.
We are all here to learn. You swayed a lot of people to do 10k OCIs with your personal testimonies and a lot of people here truly appreciate your opinion, even though sometimes that was not what they were asking for. Unsolicited information/opinions may be annoying at times, but they can have value.

This is why I'm giving my unsolicited opinion here. OK, my first post in this thread was useless and I apologize for that, but here are my thoughts that I should've conveyed from the get go.

Your idea of being able to inspect the air filter and go by visual cues is quite flawed, at least when it comes to today's air filters. Unlike oil filters, that have a bypass in case they get too restrictive, air filters get more efficient when they get loaded. Since most cars don't have filter restriction gauges, they have a set interval to change them. Heavy industry, however, uses them pretty much an all equipment with great success. So, to say that the restriction gauge will not indicate when to change the air filter is totally unfounded.

We have testimonials in the air filter section mentioning that the visual inspection was totally off when it came to judging the air filters. That is the air filter looked loaded with dirt, but the restriction gauge showed it was still good to use, and another case when visually the air filter looked good, but the restriction gauge was showing that it was time to change. I forget who posted these finding, but they came from the same person.

I also posted some pics in the air filter section, of the air filter on my Mazda 3 that had about 60k miles on it. It looked pretty dirty, but the restriction gauge did not move at all. I would've kept that filter on if it wasn't for the deteriorating seals. I inspected the filter annually because I did not trust the gauge, so that is why the seals started to deteriorate. However, the filtered side of the intake was perfectly clean, so that tells me that the restriction gauge is accurate and there is no need for visual inspections.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I'm not worried about what others think.....I like the fact you where thinking outside the box, and it is not going to hurt anything. And this is not the first time I have seen this either...

Bottom line, it's a mod. If the kids are adding superchargers and the like, why can't you change the air box? It's not like it is going to mess anything up! I can think a few others who do "change" stuff " on their cars who would like it as well... Besides, I'm sure it's beyond paid for (the car,that is ), and it's not like you could change it back if you wanted to....

Besides, it's fun to work in your car...
smile.gif

Dave87rs, Thanks for the note.

For sure I am a hands on car guy. At nearly 70 I still enjoy fixing my own stuff. Crawling under the car to change engine and trans fuids, rotating tires, plug changes, and trouble shooting some trouble codes, and in general care car. Oh yes! Now changing my air filter on the Focus when I want to.

Oh! By the way. For those interested. The part of the old air box system that still is in place contains the restriction guage. ANDDDDD! It seems now that the new air box is installed, that the engine idles slightly smoother. I have a pretty good idea of MPG on this car, so I'll see if there is any noticeable improvement there. Stay tuned!

KrisZ,
Thanks for your note.
I actually change my air filter(when the system allows) once a year. It's automatic. I just do it.

When I do, I will vac out the empty air box so no dirt can enter the engine on the next start.

Remember I was a jet engine mechanic in the Navy and there you learn what real engine maintenance is. Much of that knowledge has carried over into the way I care and maintain my own vehicles. Frequent inspection of all systems leads to long and reliable engine life. I keep records of everything I do to my cars. Date, mileage, any parts replace, fluids, all that stuff. I have been at this for 50+ years.

Thanks for the note on 10K OCIs. Good point. Since many are young and inexperienced that are members here, and with new members coming on board daily, I do want to share my long term(36 years) 10K OCIs experience with them. I have had many PM me, thinking me for my passing that info on to them through this blog, and many have adapted this OCI for their engines. I can see why old timers would become board with that, but my info isn't for them, it's for the newbys.

Anyway, enjoy the pics of a lifetime air filter and the way it's constructed.

Last edited:
Tig, I know you're thinking I'm being a jerk about this, but here's the reason for my response: you said "I'm glad I changed it after looking at it" after posting the pictures. That gives the impression that it needed to be changed. It didn't. You also mentioned that it idles smoother? Well, if that's actually the case they're something wrong with your MAF sensor--not your air box. It certainly has nothing to with the air filter (do you really thing the car isn't getting enough air at idle?).

It's your car, and you're certainly free to work on it as you see fit--but it's a public forum and people look to it for advice. So, if someone's looking at this thread and thinking "gee, maybe I should change my lifetime filter", the answer is "not unless the restriction gauge says so".

As far as fuel economy gains, it's been well-documented that a severely restricted air-filter (7kPa) has no affect on fuel economy. This air box is condemned at around half of that restriction (4kPa). And why would it matter? If your car is functioning correctly, the throttle plate just opens a little more to let it in more air? Where are these fuel economy gains coming from, even if you removed the air filter entirely?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Miller88
That's the $400 PZEV filter?

I have justa air box on mine. Filters are still pretty expensive.

I think the 2007 was the last year for this type of filter. After that Ford went back to a standard type replaceable filter.

Actually my 2009 Ford Focus is a sealed air filter. No replacement needed in lifetime of vehicle (apparently).

The Dorman I bought was for 2005-2005 Focus. I checked AZ and they only show a replaceable filter, not a lifetime one for the 2009 Focus.

Well....I don't know what to tell you except to say that my 2009 Ford Focus SE has the lifetime filter. It's not my imagination. Honestly....I prefer changing them every year as well, so I notice these things.
Page 260 Manual:
Air filter element (PZEV)
Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime air filter. The air filter is designed to last the life of the vehicle. See your authorized dealer or a qualified technician for replacement. The technician can check the diagnostics system for the possibility of an excessively dirty air filter.

Last edited:

Well....I don't know what to tell you except to say that my 2009 Ford Focus SE has the lifetime filter. It's not my imagination. Honestly....I prefer changing them every year as well, so I notice these things.
Page 260 Manual:
Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime air filter. The air filter is designed to last the life of the vehicle. See your authorized dealer or a qualified technician for replacement. The technician can check the diagnostics system for the possibility of an excessively dirty air filter.

I suppose they made a multi-layered filter with alot of surface area to fit in a smaller more accessible air box? Or maybe did some centrifugal prefiltering?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Page 260 Manual:

I suppose they made a multi-layered filter with alot of surface area to fit in a smaller more accessible air box? Or maybe did some centrifugal prefiltering?

The only filter option that O'Reilly's showed for my 2007 was the Dorman I purchased or a K&N. There was no standard option. Maybe there were differant filters for cars produced in other parts of the country by 2009.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
Tig, I know you're thinking I'm being a jerk about this, but here's the reason for my response: you said "I'm glad I changed it after looking at it" after posting the pictures. That gives the impression that it needed to be changed. It didn't. You also mentioned that it idles smoother? Well, if that's actually the case they're something wrong with your MAF sensor--not your air box. It certainly has nothing to with the air filter (do you really thing the car isn't getting enough air at idle?).

It's your car, and you're certainly free to work on it as you see fit--but it's a public forum and people look to it for advice. So, if someone's looking at this thread and thinking "gee, maybe I should change my lifetime filter", the answer is "not unless the restriction gauge says so".

As far as fuel economy gains, it's been well-documented that a severely restricted air-filter (7kPa) has no affect on fuel economy. This air box is condemned at around half of that restriction (4kPa). And why would it matter? If your car is functioning correctly, the throttle plate just opens a little more to let it in more air? Where are these fuel economy gains coming from, even if you removed the air filter entirely?

In july of 1966 I had a 1960 Dodge with the slant six. I was young and just learning about cars, planes and all sorts of other things. My brand new wife and I left Maine for Illinois with a full tank of fuel. After 125 miles I was on empty. The gas station attendant that pumped my gas suggested we check the air filter. It was really black with stuff. I changed the filter and pressto changeo, the next tank tripled in mileage. Restricting air flow does reduce air intering the engine causing reduced MPG and power.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree No harm, no foul.
11.gif

Last edited:

In july of 1966 I had a 1960 Dodge with the slant six. I was young and just learning about cars, planes and all sorts of other things. My brand new wife and I left Maine for Illinois with a full tank of fuel. After 125 miles I was on empty. The gas station attendant that pumped my gas suggested we check the air filter. It was really black with stuff. I changed the filter and pressto changeo, the next tank tripled in mileage. Restricting air flow does reduce air intering the engine causing reduced MPG and power.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree No harm, no foul.
11.gif

While those numbers are pretty extreme, there's no question that a severely restricted filter affects a carbureted vehicle--not enough air and car is running too rich. I think the mistake you may be making is applying that lessen to vehicles with electronically-metered air intakes.

Personally, all I remember about mid-60's slant six's is my dads old Dart never starting every time it rained--but that's another story entirely...

Thank-you for posting these pictures! Our 05' Focus has one of these "lifetime" air filters. I really wish it had a conventional air box. I would love to see if anyone has adapted an OEM air box from say a 2011 Focus on our "lifetime" AF's. I really believe these filters restrict power on these Duratech engines. IMO, that filter looks really dirty and would have changed it as well. Thanks once again, Bill.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Thank-you for posting these pictures! Our 05' Focus has one of these "lifetime" air filters. I really wish it had a conventional air box. I would love to see if anyone has adapted an OEM air box from say a 2011 Focus on our "lifetime" AF's. I really believe these filters restrict power on these Duratech engines. IMO, that filter looks really dirty and would have changed it as well. Thanks once again, Bill.

The filter element was very dirty through all the layers of the filter. Also there must have been a handful of dirt and leaves in the air box forward of the filter. This filter design was a mistake for Ford and the owners of these cars. Ford came to realize this as they soon dropped this silly idea.

Thanks for your kind words on posting these pics. My engine is running very well as I have seen a bump up in MPG for the last two tanks of gas. Less restriction.

The filter element was very dirty through all the layers of the filter. Also there must have been a handful of dirt and leaves in the air box forward of the filter. This filter design was a mistake for Ford and the owners of these cars. Ford came to realize this as they soon dropped this silly idea.

Thanks for your kind words on posting these pics. My engine is running very well as I have seen a bump up in MPG for the last two tanks of gas. Less restriction.

Ford dropped it because it was a lot more expensive. There was no dirt or leave in they dirty side, where there? If not, I imagine that stuff would be in the engine.

As far as the Duratec being "restricted" due to the filter...that's just silly. Just look at the restriction gauge??

I guess besides the cost, there's the "perception issue" Ford had to deal with by providing a superior filtration system. Absolutely none of the criticisms of this system are based on any reasonable logic.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Ford dropped it because it was a lot more expensive. There was no dirt or leave in they dirty side, where there? If not, I imagine that stuff would be in the engine.

As far as the Duratec being "restricted" due to the filter...that's just silly. Just look at the restriction gauge??

I guess besides the cost, there's the "perception issue" Ford had to deal with by providing a superior filtration system. Absolutely none of the criticisms of this system are based on any reasonable logic.

You really have an unusual attachment to the Ford "lifetime air filter".

Really though, the restriction on a gasoline engine at part throttle is the throttle body. Which, during highway cruise on my Vic (as an example) is around 10Psia which would be around 10 inches Mercury gauge. The restriction gauge is reading 10 or 15 inches water vacuum between the filter and the throttle body, which I might add, is from peak airflow, aka WOT; However, even if we humor the notion there was that much restriction at cruise as well it would still pale in comparison to manifold vacuum. The fact that there is also a little bit of vacuum in front of the TB would not affect anything whatsoever until you get to WOT.
1 inch mercury vacuum = 13.59 inches water vacuum.
Not attacking. Ive done plenty of things to my car 'just cause and for feel good reasons. No way I could say anything about this.

Last edited:

You really have an unusual attachment to the Ford "lifetime air filter".

Yes, I do! I think it's a great improvement over conventional air filters, so that's why it pains me to see you remove yours. I also think it's a shame that they went away from technology that actually improved long-term durability.

Just so you know, I'm now putting my money where my mouth is on this one. I just picked up (another) beater wagon, a 2006 Focus--lifetime air filter and all! I won't be changing it unless the restriction gauge says otherwise (which, in my conditions will probably be "never"). I'm totally cool with the 8 year old air filter in my car, and won't be disturbing it...

How "sealed" is the lifetime filter? I'm guessing it has an air inlet to pull in air for the engine. I would hate to see what a mouse would do to that foam.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
How "sealed" is the lifetime filter? I'm guessing it has an air inlet to pull in air for the engine. I would hate to see what a mouse would do to that foam.

No better than any other air box. When I replaced mine it had a hand full of dirt and leaves in the inlet side of the box. Since I take good care of my vehicles I am very glad to have replaced that silly air box, and now can better monitor the new one in place.

I changed the air filter in the Focus today which had been in for 13 months. I replaced the OEM filter box(sealed lifetime filter on page 1) with a Dorman after market air box so that I can change the filter itself. This was the first filter change. A little dirty but it sure is nice to be able to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back