Maxlife ATF in Honda DW1 Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used Val Maxlife In a newer Honda Specing DW1? I got the "To Whom it may concerns" letter from Valvoline, and see it recommends Maxlife for Honda DW1 applications.

I'd use DW-1. Maxlife ATF was a great replacement for the mediocre at best Z-1. DW-1 is supposed to be much better than Z-1 ever was.

I was just about to ask since this is already a thread about MaxLife ATF (not trying to steal thread, just 2 birds one stone thing).

What y'alls opinion on multi-vehicle ATF as far as I know the ATF my vehicle requires is no longer in product.

I agree, stick with the honda stuff. You know it works and will continue to work well for ya. I use the Toyota stuff and it really isnt that expensive and I change it out once a year (drain and fill). I needed 3 quarts and got them from the dealer for under 20$..no need to chance it to save a few dollars.

I use DW1 in the V. My intervals were every 15K. Even then it was bright red. Now I do every 30K. There's a slight color change but still a reddish hue.

the newest Honda in your sig is 2000. Even the older Z1 just came out in 2000. Before that, they just used Dexron. Therefore, Maxlife will be just fine for you.

DW1 only came on the scene in 2011, so many of these cars are still under warranty. During the warranty, I'd still use DW1. However, I'd totally be fine using Maxlife once the warranty expires
smile.gif

He'll need it with that junk circulating through the transmission.

Originally Posted By: dmark
Maxlife Dex/Merc- see sig.
Good luck.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
the newest Honda in your sig is 2000. Even the older Z1 just came out in 2000. Before that, they just used Dexron. Therefore, Maxlife will be just fine for you.

DW1 only came on the scene in 2011, so many of these cars are still under warranty. During the warranty, I'd still use DW1. However, I'd totally be fine using Maxlife once the warranty expires
smile.gif

This is for a friends 2011 Civic lx W/ 65k so it is out of warranty. Was intending to use DW1 but noticed in the letter from Valvoline that they recommend Maxlife for DW1 apps now and wanted to see if anyone had used it yet in a DW1 app.

Originally Posted By: jmb106

smile.gif

This is for a friends 2011 Civic lx W/ 65k so it is out of warranty. Was intending to use DW1 but noticed in the letter from Valvoline that they recommend Maxlife for DW1 apps now and wanted to see if anyone had used it yet in a DW1 app.

Just buy factory ATF-DW1. It's the correct oil, its not too expensive, and it wont create any driveability problems that were not there before. You'll need three quarts for a drop and fill.

Pro Tip: Shop online and price match. Don't forget to shop at Acura dealers too, as Honda and Acura are the same company and use the same fluids. I use to buy ATF-DW1 from Curry Acura in NY via their online website. They shipped it to me for $6.40/ quart delivered, although I think they have since started charging shipping since then.

Switched to Maxlife about 20k ago in our 2012 Civic and were now at 50k. Smooth as can be and plan to run it for the rest of the cars life.

smile.gif

I see

Well, I've used it in a 2008 Civic (same generation, likely same transmission), but it calls for Z1. No problem so far.

This 65k change is probably the first ATF change called for if you're following the MM. In this case, and especially if you can get a discount/good price, use the OEM DW1 this time, but use Maxlife for subsequent ATF changes.

Not that there are widespread problems with the 8g Civic transmissions, but older Hondas like the early-00s V6's failed quickly, and Honda provided goodwill out-of-warranty replacements but only to those who used the then-OEM Honda Z1. So for that reason, you may want to use DW1 now, but feel free to use Maxlife in the future (well beyond even a goodwill period). And of course, Maxlife is geared more towards HM cars wnyway.

Maxlife will work great. Any of the full synthetic universal multivehicle ATFs that mentions your required spec are options.

Have used Maxlife for 50k in my wife's 2004 Odyssey. 171k on the trans, absolutely super performance.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Switched to Maxlife about 20k ago in our 2012 Civic and were now at 50k. Smooth as can be and plan to run it for the rest of the cars life.

that's good news,working fine in a car specd for DW1 from the Factory. Thats what i was looking for someone who has used Maxlife in a DW1 specd car. Thank You.

Just for the record i have nothing against the factory fill DW1. I have owned 8 Honda's and current have 5 in the family, all except the 5 speed manual have Maxlife ATF in them and i service my friends 00 Oddy and it has maxlife ATF in it.

Use DW-1. I think I'm only paying about $8/qt for it in a case from the dealer, which is worth the peace of mind over these questionable aftermarket fluids that have never been tested in EVERY application that they are recommended for.

that's good news,working fine in a car specd for DW1 from the Factory. Thats what i was looking for someone who has used Maxlife in a DW1 specd car. Thank You.

Just for the record i have nothing against the factory fill DW1. I have owned 8 Honda's and current have 5 in the family, all except the 5 speed manual have Maxlife ATF in them and i service my friends 00 Oddy and it has maxlife ATF in it.

When I looked into this also, there are tons of folks using ML in the DW-1 spec'd Honda's with stellar results. At $16 a gallon and available at almost every WM, it's a no brainer for me.

For my part, I'll be using Red Line D6 in my Honda tranny post-warranty. The warranty on Hondas is so short that I'm not expecting the truck will call for a fluid change before the warranty runs out anyway.

In my case, my Honda dealer will sell me DW-1 quite competitively. So, if analysis suggests that "this time it's different" (note that those are the 4 most sorrow-causing words in human history...) and the Honda fluid is actually decent, then perhaps I'll just stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back