So, Fram filters...why the bad rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would search more, but the search function sucks on here
frown.gif

So I've been told for years to not run a Fram, they are garbage, majority of bad motors in the junkyards have Fram filters, yada yada. So I've always ran something else, ie "Anything but a Fram" lol. Was running PureOne for a while, now using Wix.

So lately I've wanted to know more about oils and filters, so I joined this forum. And lo and behold, everywhere I turn I see people praising the Fram TG and UG. So, my assumption is that they either made their stuff better than they used to, OR their cheap regular filters are garbage but their higher grade filters are good. Majority of people don't want to pay extra for their filter so they use the cheapest one.

I'm not a Fram fan, but if it's proven they have built a better filter I'm not afraid to try it. I've been told for years that Pennzoil and Quaker State will clog your engine up, but everywhere I look on here people tout the PYB as a top-notch conventional, so I have a fresh fill of it in my Turbo GTC w/ a Wix filter, trying it out.

Force,
I work for FRAM, everyone on this forum knows that. The reason FRAM has this "internet" reputation is because WIX has made it their marketing strategy for over 25 years to cut open our filter and their filter and show that we use fiber end caps and they use steel. And "steel is better" in their minds. They did this because they simply do not want to admit that FRAM filters are 95-99% efficient@20 microns and they are around 85% or much worse @20 microns. That said, they are not bad filters, most OE filters are also in that range. That is typical marketing misdirection at its best. It is our fault that the story grew legs and really blossomed on the internet. We ignored it, previous FRAM leadership sat around pounding their chests saying things like " we will not address this, we are #1" so they didn't care. Our current leadership is committed to both communication, transparency and responsiveness to consumers, part of the reason I have a job there!Happy to answer any questions you may have about filtration and have some great videos about it on youtube channel Cadzillals6

Originally Posted By: Motorking
The reason FRAM has this "internet" reputation is because WIX has made it their marketing strategy for over 25 years

I do not agree. Ask the average Joe or Jane on the street about Wix filters, and I bet you get a blank stare. I doubt most of the general public knows who Wix is.

Force,
I work for FRAM, everyone on this forum knows that. The reason FRAM has this "internet" reputation is because WIX has made it their marketing strategy for over 25 years to cut open our filter and their filter and show that we use fiber end caps and they use steel. And "steel is better" in their minds. They did this because they simply do not want to admit that FRAM filters are 95-99% efficient@20 microns and they are around 85% or much worse @20 microns. That said, they are not bad filters, most OE filters are also in that range. That is typical marketing misdirection at its best. It is our fault that the story grew legs and really blossomed on the internet. We ignored it, previous FRAM leadership sat around pounding their chests saying things like " we will not address this, we are #1" so they didn't care. Our current leadership is committed to both communication, transparency and responsiveness to consumers, part of the reason I have a job there!Happy to answer any questions you may have about filtration and have some great videos about it on youtube channel Cadzillals6

A case study worthy of Harvard Business School. Purolator had better be paying attention...

It's been proven that the fiber end caps work fine.I have had fram filters that did drain when parked and that made the engine rattle when started.but that was 15+yrs ago.I'm sure that has been addressed

Originally Posted By: ForceFedMopar
frown.gif

So I've been told for years to not run a Fram, they are garbage, majority of bad motors in the junkyards have Fram filters, yada yada. So I've always ran something else, ie "Anything but a Fram" lol. Was running PureOne for a while, now using Wix.

So lately I've wanted to know more about oils and filters, so I joined this forum. And lo and behold, everywhere I turn I see people praising the Fram TG and UG. So, my assumption is that they either made their stuff better than they used to, OR their cheap regular filters are garbage but their higher grade filters are good. Majority of people don't want to pay extra for their filter so they use the cheapest one.

I'm not a Fram fan, but if it's proven they have built a better filter I'm not afraid to try it. I've been told for years that Pennzoil and Quaker State will clog your engine up, but everywhere I look on here people tout the PYB as a top-notch conventional, so I have a fresh fill of it in my Turbo GTC w/ a Wix filter, trying it out.

Basically poor quality control and cardboard end caps and you can do better for same price. If the cardboard end caps were so good, they would use them in their more expensive filters.

If you are shopping for the extended OCI line of filters, the Ultra is probably the best bang for the buck. Can't say the same for the lower tiered filters such as the OCOD, TG and the other rebadged FRAMs. Price is the biggest objection I'm seeing on these boards.

Fragile points on thin cardboard endcaps are a lousy way to center the element and ADBV on the "open" end of the filter.

Fram's UG is the only one that avoids that poor practice and it's a fine filter.

Despite all these wacky anti fram comments re:cardboard endcaps, I think its nonsense. Nothing wrong with them. If you run longer OCI's you use a filter made for that. Fram TG is rated for 10k mile OCI's and I dont see why it would have or cause any related oil issues. My dad and uncle always used the fram orange can with zero problems for many years. Still dont understand the paranoia of cardboard endcaps. I think the TG is a well made filter and will continue to use for up to 10k intervals.

Quote:
Basically poor quality control and cardboard end caps and you can do better for same price. If the cardboard end caps were so good, they would use them in their more expensive filters

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
The reason FRAM has this "internet" reputation is because WIX has made it their marketing strategy for over 25 years

I do not agree. Ask the average Joe or Jane on the street about Wix filters, and I bet you get a blank stare. I doubt most of the general public knows who Wix is.

+1 iv heard of wix but personally never used one they have a nice display but beyond that I never knew anything about them. Didn't hear anything good about them either until I used this forum.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Quote:
Basically poor quality control and cardboard end caps and you can do better for same price. If the cardboard end caps were so good, they would use them in their more expensive filters

My computer decided to update in the middle of this. Moderators please delete my above post.
mad.gif
Anyhow,

+1. Frams bottom filters like the OCOD, the "tough gaurd" and the "high mileage" are just overally pretty junky and suffer from poor build quality IMO. They will say that cardboard endcaps offer the same or even better durability over metal ones
smirk.gif
, but common sense should dictate otherwise. If a structural component has to get wet, it should be understood that metal is always a stronger option than paper! I will say this though, their premium filters (which have metal end caps BTW) are beasts and I would use those with confidence. In all honesty, if the OCOD had metal end caps, I would use those as well! I may even pay an extra 50cents! But in the real world, cardboard and glue are better suited for childrens are projects, not oil filters!
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Force,

Yeah, but it's really fun to say "orange can of death!" is it not? Who wants to say "Champion blows chunks!"?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Frams' Oil Can of Delight has serviced millions of vehicles for decades and will continue to do for a long time.

You got it! I prefer to use their better filters though, when part of an oil change special.

Quote:

My computer decided to update in the middle of this. Moderators please delete my above post.
mad.gif
Anyhow,

+1. Frams bottom filters like the OCOD, the "tough gaurd" and the "high mileage" are just overally pretty junky and suffer from poor build quality IMO. They will say that cardboard endcaps offer the same or even better durability over metal ones
smirk.gif
, but common sense should dictate otherwise. If a structural component has to get wet, it should be understood that metal is always a stronger option than paper! I will say this though, their premium filters (which have metal end caps BTW) are beasts and I would use those with confidence. In all honesty, if the OCOD had metal end caps, I would use those as well! I may even pay an extra 50cents! But in the real world, cardboard and glue are better suited for childrens are projects, not oil filters!
crackmeup2.gif

Its been my experience that those who tout "common sense" over education, training and experience are usually the last people too whom anyone should listen.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: ForceFedMopar
frown.gif

Basically poor quality control and cardboard end caps and you can do better for same price. If the cardboard end caps were so good, they would use them in their more expensive filters.

The fiber end caps cannot be used in Ultra filters due to the need for a flange to capture the pleated wire behind the media. Honda, Subaru, Bentley, GM, Nissan all use fiber end caps as original equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back