2014 Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think many would quibble about Toyotas reputation.

But around here we are just not impressed. ALL of the Big 3's trucks are improving steadily and are great performers. Most get MUCH BETTER fuel economy. I see Toyota's expertise as in small vehicles, economy cars. Not full size PU's.

The only anecdotal info I have is not good. A friend had a Tundra and had a litany of issues. I doubt his experience is typical...

I don't think there is a bad choice in big 3 nor Toyota Tundra. Its personal preference.

My parents happen to have the 2000 Tundra which has been dead reliable except for a major flaw. The frame rotted out and Toyota took it off the road, handed my folks a new camry as loaner and took a few months to fix it. Amazingly it went back together perfectly after a frame removal. Apparently some QA mess up between Toyota and Dana frames.

Thanks for the insight fellas. My dealer has located me a 2014 double cab 4x4 with the 5.7 v8. cloth interior. TRD offroad package.I have driven one like it. Nice truck but not sure I want to take the plunge. The good news is that that have offered me top dollar trade in and are coming off the price $7500. The truck msrp is $39xxx. I can get it for $ 32xxx.After my trade...$14,800. Hard to pass up on a new truck now days! Will keep ya posted.

The new Tundras are nice, however for about 32k you can find a Ram 1500 Express crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi, new ZF 8 speed auto and get significantly better miles per gallon while still enjoying the same amount of power. I bought a new Ram express crew back in 2012 for $29k OTD. for the money the Rams are hard to beat. The coil spring rear suspension rides better than the other brands, and the Hemi has Cylinder Deactivation. my 2012 got 18.7 mpg average on the highway as a 6 speed auto truck with 3:55 gears. Id imagine a 2014 with the new 8 speed can easily get the EPA estimate of 21 mpg and tow just as much as the Tundra. I haven't driven a 14 tundra but i did drive one in 2012 and i liked the truck. It just didn't ride as good as the Ram. The double cab was slightly more money than a Crew Cab Ram, and the interior in the Ram was much nicer then. So i chose the Ram. Im sure you will be happy with whatever new truck you buy. Good luck!

You can typically get $10K off F-150 SuperCrew or Ram Crew Cab this time of year. It's common on the model year-end clearance. The same may apply to GM, but I've never checked.
smile.gif

since i have no problem outing dealer pricing, georgetown texas (mac haik) has ram hemi crew expresses (only the 6 speed) for 25k, and I paid 27.5k for my ram hemi crew lonestar with the zf8, before TTL. enjoy.

Last edited:
Good advice all. On another note about the truck...the Entune Radio system. Touch screen with integrated backup camera. This type of system is new to me and a little intimidating. One thing I think about is "what happens when this thing goes belly up"! Probably pretty costly. I know all vehicles are like that now though. Advice??

There are so many after.market radios available, I would never worry about it. Even if there was an issue with the engine, the forums would help.you solve it fast

The other trucks on the market offer more features and more incentives, but the Tundra still leads in my most important category: long term reliability. Both True Delta and Consumer Reports have the Tundra as tops in the category. As a person who keeps there vehicles for a long time, this is the most important factor for me.

Pickup people are brand loyal to a fault for the most part. Plus people love to hate Toyota, especially their trucks. I was a former big three pickup owner, and my current truck is a Tundra. No regrets and will probably never go back to the big three. My truck is just shy of 100K miles and the only repair it has had is front and rear brakes - not one other thing. The 5.7L is an awesome engine, and my lifetime fuel mileage is 17.4 MPGs. If I were in the market to but another truck again, I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Nick, from what I understand, all trucks will do that, at some speed.

They have been making the 5.7 and it's six speed transmission for what seven years now? I believe their only real fault is water pumps and sometimes cam tower oil leaks (rare?). Some wheel bearings, good number of steering racks. Not sure on the strength of the tailgate. Do need to lube the u joints on a regular basis. 2014 lost the reclining rear seat, or something like that, on the crew cab.

I like mine but I wanted a simple four door truck. The new model changed the interior quite a bit. I do sometimes wish it had a setting on 4hi which would allow usage on bare pavement, and it does not have a proper rear limited slip/locker--it pulls brake lines instead. Disabling traction is a nuisance (have to be stopped and push the button three times).

Since your in Fl I'd skip the 4wd and just get a 2wd truck. Cheaper to buy, run, fix, and they are lighter so they drive better.

Great info gentleman. Wife and I going to look at the 2014 tundra this weekend. So the major question. Would you buy a 2014 or wait for a 2015 or 16. I am a big fan of the drivetrain and its history. So any change in that might mean more future issues. Let me know!

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Great info gentleman. Wife and I going to look at the 2014 tundra this weekend. So the major question. Would you buy a 2014 or wait for a 2015 or 16. I am a big fan of the drivetrain and its history. So any change in that might mean more future issues. Let me know!

If you like the 2014 and you can agree on a price, I'd take it. Who knows what will happen with the future models.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnman

According to Car and Driver, the only changes for the 2015 Tundra is the availability of the TRD PRO package. Otherwise the truck is unchanged. So you can probably get a better deal on a 2014 as they try to make room for the 2015s.

For a truck id stick with the big 3.

The whole Toyota lasts forever... well, that holds true for the older vehicles but fact is a lot of these newer vehicles in general are very reliable and I'm not just talking about trucks.

Ram has the new bullet proof 8 speed tranny and 1/2 ton diesel

GM has the new DI engines and has the highest rated 1/2 motor 6.2L AND will be coming out with new 1/2 ton diesels soon

Ford is going to have the lightest and probably most efficient pickup next year with the new aluminum body.

Toyota is reliable? yes, so are these other pickups. What else does it have? a good commercial with it towing a spaceship? Any of these other 3 pickups can do it too. Its subjective but the Tundra's interior is SERIOUSLY lacking IMO.

The big 3 have been doing this longer than Toyota has and I think there's a reason why Toyota hasn't stepped in the 3/4 ton pickup market yet.

How do we know the eight speed is long lasting? Err, bullet proof? I hear good things, but how do we know it will last forever?

Originally Posted By: supton
How do we know the eight speed is long lasting? Err, bullet proof? I hear good things, but how do we know it will last forever?

if people didnt believe in jesus, he wouldnt exist today. in peoples heads anyway. *puts on flame suit*

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

There must be a reason you've heard good things
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back