who makes what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's on here already, I can't find it, but who makes what oils. I work for a Komatsu dealer and haven't been able to find out who makes or distributes their oils. I think I saw Quaker State on a pallet once but am not sure.

There is the formulating chemist, the blender, the distributor, and the retail sales outlet involved.

A company will employ a formulator/chemist to make the formulation.

After testing, that company may blend it themselves or have an outside blending company do it for them.

So the answer is, it is difficult to determine where the formulated oil originates, if that is your question.

Last edited:
I was thinking that oil was like oil filters in that a handful of manufacturers will rebrand their product for several other names. I just figured, for example, that Komatsu engine oil was actually shell or chevron in a different bottle. I noticed that the Cat brand oil started using the same style bottles that Mobile started using at about the same time, so I figured that Cat and Mobile oils were one in the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey73
I was thinking that oil was like oil filters in that a handful of manufacturers will rebrand their product for several other names. I just figured, for example, that Komatsu engine oil was actually shell or chevron in a different bottle. I noticed that the Cat brand oil started using the same style bottles that Mobile started using at about the same time, so I figured that Cat and Mobile oils were one in the same.

There is actually a lot of formulating/blending companies that supply large amounts of privately labeled lubricants. Sometimes you can pinpoint it on the bottle type - but other times you cant.

However, Shell/Exxon/Etc. usually always still have a hand in it since they supply the base stocks. The difference can be where they are producing oils for as cheaply as possible for an extra buck or two - niche formulators/blenders will take their same base oils and add more additives or use higher concentrations of better bases than the big guys would.

In addition to what has already been said, Shell/XOM/Etc also use these third party blenders to handle some of their products as well. In many cases it is easier to ship ingredients and containers separately and then have the third party blender to handle the blending and packaging. (meeting the required specs of course).

XOM actually has an entire certification system for evaluating and grading third party blenders.

I noticed that the Cat brand oil started using the same style bottles that Mobile started using at about the same time, so I figured that Cat and Mobile oils were one in the same.

That is possible, but it is also likely that they use the same bottle manufacturer - in many cases bottle manufacturers will take a high quality mold, make some minor alterations and then sell it to other blenders.

I doubt Caterpillar would use an off-brand oil like Mobile.

I noticed that the Cat brand oil started using the same style bottles that Mobile started using at about the same time, so I figured that Cat and Mobile oils were one in the same.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Exxonmobile has been supplying private label lubricants for CAT since 1987.

I would never buy oil from ExxonMobile either
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: yucca

Last edited:

I cannot disclose who supplies lubricants to CAT - but I know that it is NOT Exxonmobile.

I'm willing to bet the farm that it is not.

Originally Posted By: camelCase

I cannot disclose who supplies lubricants to CAT - but I know that it is NOT Exxonmobile.

In the past, Chevron and or ConocoPhilips have supplied oil to CAT.

Don't know who supplies it today.

Last edited:
wink.gif

If the ExxonMobile has a markup as high as a typical ice cream truck, I can see where you're coming from. I think if one started coming around I would have to buy something from it once just for the novelty of it.

Exactly.

The ExxonMobilMobile. I wonder what kind of music it would play?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
wink.gif

If the ExxonMobile has a markup as high as a typical ice cream truck, I can see where you're coming from. I think if one started coming around I would have to buy something from it once just for the novelty of it.

Why would it matter? If some oil makers state that oils can be used in Komatsu, Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Hino, etc, shouldn't it be enough? It doesn't say in manuals, usually, that only certain brand can be used. Unless, ofcourse, that brand paid them to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back