Ubuntu 14.04- not enough room for upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when the nVidia drivers weren't updating properly with the kernel in Ubuntu, I simply locked myself into a certain kernel for an extended period of time. When that LTS version was done, the replacement had no problem with updating the video drivers, so in that case, I ended up keeping up with new kernels.

Most kernel revisions have to deal with bug and security fixes, not increased functionality. Ubuntu releases new kernels as needed, no one wants his system compromised by a zero day issue if a fix has been issued because he didn't bother to install it.

With the linux servers I support, we rolled back to a previous kernel just once I can recall. The new kernel decided to flip the naming convention of the (2) ethernet ports. Since only one had a cable in it, the server had no connectivity after the new kernel was installed. Simply connecting to the out of band management port and booting from the old kernel restored the connectivity (server was at a remote site, so we could not switch the cable)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Back when the nVidia drivers weren't updating properly with the kernel in Ubuntu, I simply locked myself into a certain kernel for an extended period of time. When that LTS version was done, the replacement had no problem with updating the video drivers, so in that case, I ended up keeping up with new kernels.

I have an NVIDIA chip in the laptop on which I am typing now. As long as one has dkms installed (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) the new drivers ought to compile and be available whenever one updates one's kernel. It has been my experience that most quality drivers in mainstream distros have dkms as a dependency and usually pull it in from repositories during the installation of the driver. "Most" and "usually" being the operative words, here!

Whenever I can get a hold of a system with Intel graphics I use it if possible - Intel drivers are fully open source and therefore run at full tilt right out of the box.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
This is the command I use to clear out old kernels:

Code:
$ dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

... One could also just install the synaptic package manager, search for Linux and remove all but the most recent kernels.

This is why I don't have /boot as a separate partition; just a 20GB / for the OS and /home for my stuff.

EDIT: removing old kernels is also trivial is you install Ubuntu Tweak: http://askubuntu.com/questions/2793/how-...p-the-boot-menu (the 3rd method in the 1st answer is for "Ubuntu-tweak")

The link you provided proved to do the trick!

Guys, thanks to all for taking the time and offering help! It is appreciated. As indicated, I ended up using the link that uc50ic4more provided- it appeared to be the simplest solution. I really should sit down and dedicate some more time to learning the various aspects of the Linux OS's, but I've been out the computer loop, that I'm finding it hard to pick back up. Until then, I'm thankful that I have people like you who are willing to help this dunce out!

I have an NVIDIA chip in the laptop on which I am typing now. As long as one has dkms installed (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) the new drivers ought to compile and be available whenever one updates one's kernel.

Yep, it was back around Ubuntu 6 when I had problems, so that's long gone.

This used to happen to me when upgrading Ubuntu server. I never could fix it properly, and didn't know how to remove the extra kernels.

$ dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

I thought I spend a lot of time in the command line, but that's inscrutable.
wink.gif

I just thought this morning about how easy it'd be to create a bash alias for this monster; so I did:

In your ~/.bash_aliases file (which you may well have to create) use this:

Code:
alias kernelpurge="dpkg -l linux-{image,headers}-* | awk '/^ii/{print $2}' | egrep '[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+' | grep -v $(uname -r) | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge"

... Then you need only type kernelpurge in your terminal.

I haven't tested the following out yet; but you might, if you're not a GUI guy who just likes to go along with the prompts from your Update Manager, create a cron job calling a (executable) script of your naming, containing this:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove && kernelpurge

Those both could be very useful. I certainly like the idea of removing the older kernels automatically. Manually doing it is such a pain in the behind.

I keep wondering why, given that most of us are using Ubuntu or Mint's LTS, we are even getting new kernels at all! Man, when Debian releases a Stable release, there is not much coming down the intertubes after that; and purging old kernels is usually not an issue at all for those users.

Those both could be very useful. I certainly like the idea of removing the older kernels automatically. Manually doing it is such a pain in the behind.

Just put it in a cron job, but you knew that.

I keep wondering why, given that most of us are using Ubuntu or Mint's LTS, we are even getting new kernels at all! Man, when Debian releases a Stable release, there is not much coming down the intertubes after that; and purging old kernels is usually not an issue at all for those users.

At least in my experience, most of those kernels come early in the LTS cycle. If my memory serves me correctly, the LTS around 6 (or the one after that) had the most kernel updates.

As it is, I'm never in a hurry to change versions. I'll run the LTS for months after official expiry (unless something in that version bugs me) anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back