Jeep grand cherokee new motor, oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just got on here, and was wondering what your thoughts are on what type of oil I should use after breaking this motor in! It is a re-manufactured 5.2 that currently has 0 miles on it. After break in, what oil should i use to get the most life out of this motor? What have you used that has the least wear? Thanks!
Also, any tips for break in? Don't want to mess this up and have to pull the motor later down the road.
Jeff

The motor came with a break in oil that i have to use to keep the warrentee, but after that, Idk. It's my daily driver/off roader, and i live in the NW

mine calls for 10w-30. I use M1 or PP. but that engine is very durable as long as you dont clog the oil pickup screen. shoulda been good for 300k. how many miles outa the first one?

207k. previous owner never EVER changed the oil by the looks of it. Everything was worn out. Cam was pitted and ground down, Both heads were cracked, block was filled with rust, and the block and crank were scored. Still ran fine but had a persistent misfire that I couldn't track down.

I can get pennsoil platinum for about 5 bucks a quart where I work so maybe ill run that! I just really don't want to spend another 2500 on a reman down the road!

Magnum engines will run well on just about anything.

I use amsoil, mobil1, PP, ultra in 5w-30 and 10w-30 flavors in my 5.9.

When you rebuilt the engine did you put a Hughes plenum plate to eliminate that issue which is about the only flaw in the 5.2 and 5.9 engines.

Sounds like the prior owner beat the heck out of it and still got over 200K miles out of it. cant complain about that.

318/5.2s are great engines, probably only 2nd to the old slant 6s for longevity-it would be fine on just about anything, from 0W30 up to 10W40, believe Chrysler usually recommended 5W30 or 10W30.

I agree that they will run on just about anything - but for me synthetic is only a little more coin than dino. besides, I pull a 6000 lb boat with mine. good luck!

They run nice on xw-40 hdeo also.
Dont baby it during break in, lots of wot!
No top speed runs thou but do some dragracing with it.

Flush rad and heater before filling with old green or g05.

I wouldn't put a synthetic right in after a traditional break in oil on a rebuild. I'd run a couple OCI's of a high moly conventional/syn-blend like Pennzoil YB first...

I'm working with a 5.2 now that has 212k miles

Hughes plate, timing chain, valve cover gaskets,water pump etc etc. Ran healthy, just doing some TLC Hoping to push out another 50k miles.

That being said, can this thread be moved to a non-diesel section?

I have a 93 Grand with the 5.2 that i bought back in April for $300. First Jeep with a 5.2 for me. 172,??? miles and strong running. I filled Her up with SuperTech 10w-40 the night i got Her and She seems to be doing well with it. I would stay away from synthetics for a couple of oil changes, and then use SuperTech FullSyn if You want. FRAM PH16 oil filter as well. The oversize filters(FRAM PH8,TG8, Purolator30001, NAPA 51515, Wix1515) that work on Jeep 4.0(1993-2006) are to big to fit in that 5.2 engine bay.

take a look at rotella t-5 10w30 has a good zinc loading and good calcium load for lubricity, older flat tappet motors thrive on higher zinc loads.

my sons jeep loves that stuff we bought it as a basket case , did a bunch of work on it and started running it with good UOA from blackstone

started well all last winter with T-5 in it and it spent the winter outside here in northern IL close enough to wisconsin to smell the cheese

just my thoughts with an older Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I wouldn't put a synthetic right in after a traditional break in oil on a rebuild. I'd run a couple OCI's of a high moly conventional/syn-blend like Pennzoil YB first...
Why no syn oil?

Had one of those for years & years in a Dakota. Usually ran 0W-30 Esso XD3. Also used the 0W-40 flavour once as well. If I had it today I would use the 10W-30 T5, no doubt. I run that in my Cummins 5.9 & it seems to be doing very well on it. That's what I would run in your new 318.

John.

Originally Posted By: sourlemon511
Hey guys, just got on here, and was wondering what your thoughts are on what type of oil I should use after breaking this motor in! It is a re-manufactured 5.2 that currently has 0 miles on it.

Hello Jeff!

Who did the reman on the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back