Buzzing rumble after new pads rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I just put on new pads and rotors on my wife's toyota matrix.

Simple process.

Received powerstop pads, and autospecialty rotors from rock auto as part of a kit. First rotors had deep grooves in them, from machining error. They went back, and rock auto replaced.

So, I dug into the job.

Car was from Buffalo, NY so it was fun and rusty to work on.

On the one side, both caliper boots were ripped, and had no grease. I greased up the sliders and pins, and put everything back together with new boots (AC Delco brand). Also did new clips.

Everything seemed right, but one caliper pin was a little scored and black. The rest of the caliper pins were shiny metal.

So, it was getting late at night, so I just put grease in it, and cleaned the black one up with sandpaper to smooth it out.

So, I did the proper rotor bedding as per powerstop instructions, to spread the friction material evenly on the rotor.

So, now I am noticing a loud roar or rumble when I get on the brakes from a high speed, and slow down. There is no pulse, there is no squeek, just a roaring sound.

Is this a stuck caliper pin?

I was thinking of going to carquest and buying 4 pins, and replacing them all, and a big tube of brake lube, and relubing the pins.

Those envelopes of brake lube really aren't enough to grease pins and contact points, and I like to lube the back of pads as well.

Thanks guys!

Justin

Yes, delve back into the job and relube the sliders with a tube of Sil-Glyde brake lube(or your favorite brake lube).

* Don't use grease or never-seize as a lube!

You may not necessarily need new slider pins but, if they're a good price, replace them as a "rule out method"!

I live in salty NY State and still have the same OE slider pins in all of the vehicles in my signature.

** And(if you haven't already), I always butter up the backs of the pads(backing plates) as well with the brake lube. This helps to eliminate the other noises that you may get too!

I can't answer for the roar/rumbling that you're getting while braking. Is it only at High Speeds??? Something isn't bedded correctly or it's the quality(or lack of) in the new rotors but, certainly check the one slider in particular. If it's clean, you should be fine.

I usually bed in my brakes by just driving normally! I don't have good luck with successive hard stops for bedding in brakes.
Is this what you did???

And too, I like ceramic brake pads as they have eliminated all the other noises that I was getting in other pad materials even good semi-mets.
*** Not all pads materials but, toooo many!

You may also need to check the runout of the rotors as some speciality brands tend to have inconsistent quality that I have seen in some You Tube Videos. I'll see if I can find the video that I speak of though it may take some time
smile.gif

**** Try ONLY lubing the slider(s) and the backing plates FIRST(1st) before buying extra parts

***** Keep us posted on your results!
smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
I just did my Corolla front brakes 2 weeks ago, and was hating life for a few days with the LOUD braking until they broke in. But you're not off the hook yet!

You need to REPLACE that scored caliper pin. They are cheap and available and can be replaced alone or in pairs. Do it ASAP.

If the rotors are eccentric, the pulsation will come later when the pad material builds up on the high spots. When new they usually feel kinda-sorta OK.

Rotors don't really "warp" from usage, but they do come ground off-axis. Perfectly flat but the flat is at an angle to what it should be. When it spins it wobbles. See above.

Sometimes you can correct that eccentricity by removing it and rotating it on the studs (assuming a floating rotor like the Corolla/Matrix), finding a spot that they settle on that corrects their tilt. But the only way to check it is with a dial indicator on a magnetic or clamp stand. Without that you're shooting in the dark.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-travel-machinists-dial-indicator-623.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/multipositional-magnetic-base-with-fine-adjustment-5645.html

If rotation indexing doesn't fix it, return it or have it turned at a machine shop (as in, not at Pep Boys).

Guys, do not buy those power stop kits.

The rotors are junk.

I will lube everything up on monday, thanks guys.

Next time I am going to the dealer and just buying the parts there.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

The rotors are junk.

Well, you could have purchaced all your replacement parts from RA as well. I like lots of different brands of pads(ceramic preferable) and rotors(Raybestos, Brembo, Centric etc.)

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

The rotors are junk.

Well, you could have purchaced all your replacement parts from RA as well. I like lots of different brands of pads(ceramic preferable) and rotors(Raybestos, Brembo, Centric etc.)

CB is right. Rock Auto has plenty of good stuff that you could have chosen. I personally wouldn't buy a kit like that because I know nothing about those brands and I usually end up choosing pads and rotors from different brands.

Lesson learned. These Powerstop kits are somewhat new, I think. Or at least they're new on Rock Auto.

But back to the original issue, why do you think the "junk" rotors are causing the roar or rumble? That's a braking issue I haven't personally had to deal with.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

The rotors are junk.

CB is right. Rock Auto has plenty of good stuff that you could have chosen. I personally wouldn't buy a kit like that because I know nothing about those brands and I usually end up choosing pads and rotors from different brands.

Lesson learned. These Powerstop kits are somewhat new, I think. Or at least they're new on Rock Auto.

But back to the original issue, why do you think the "junk" rotors are causing the roar or rumble? That's a braking issue I haven't personally had to deal with.

I call the rotors junk, because two of them had serious casting flaws out of the box, and were not usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back