Job Re-assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been off the board for a few months (still lurking though). A few months ago, I was re-assigned from an IT technician to a Emergency Vehicle Technician. This was due to the Boss being demoted and my wife promoted to the IT Manager. The admin figured since I work in the fleet area, installing dash cams, etc., that I would be a good fit and transferred me to the Fleet Services Division

So far, I have passed the tests (brake jobs, A/C diagnostics, and lighting repairs). I kept my pay scale and the new boss is pretty cool. In a few weeks, I will be taking my exam for EVT to get certified.

Now there are 3 Techs supporting 800+ vehicles, and we are busy. I really enjoy the work, over being a Computer Tech sitting at a desk all day. The work is hot (I have an outside bay, covered, but no A/C and CFL temps are 95 degrees at 90% Humidity.

Amazing, going from computer nerd to mechanic in about a month. Lots of satisfaction getting Deputy's vehicles in top shape though.

Dave

Count yourself blessed if you've got a good job and you can enjoy it. Yours is the good news story of my day. Thanks.

I also live in central FL, I think I would rather be behind a desk with A/C
wink.gif

Change is good.

Our new shop will be starting construction in Oct. Will be fully air conditioned and have 3 times the vehicle capacity that we have now. Looking forward to that!
Dave

Our jobs represent 1/2 of the waking hours of our lives until retirement, it is huge to have one you like... huge. Well done!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I also live in central FL, I think I would rather be behind a desk with A/C
wink.gif

Change is good.

+1

I have done some blue collar, and white collar jobs. They each have their pros and cons.

I'm glad you like the job. Not too many people can say that about where they work. I'm doing mechanical boat work now and it's been a hot summer around here for the Pacific Northwest. I can't imagine Florida temps. Though I did live in Hawaii when I was a kid 40 years ago.

I could see working with a fleet not being too stressful because of the absence of customers.......

I know I would like to be inside. I would take a pay cut to work inside. These Florida summers are brutal. I am in construction, so when I am there all shade is gone. Its roads or buildings, but never any shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back