WAWA gas sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using the Wawa gas for a few years and have no problem at all.
On the highway my 2012 AWD CR-V gets up to 35 mpg.

Seems like that intermix would be fine for non demanding carb motors. Like ope or some old truck. Not all carb motors, just the nonpicky ones.

Originally Posted By: supton
Seems like that intermix would be fine for non demanding carb motors. Like ope or some old truck. Not all carb motors, just the nonpicky ones.

Who do you sell it to, and how to you store/distribute it?

Everything I read is that this stuff exists, and it's generally not meant to be sold as a motor fuel. There's tons of technology meant to reduce the amount of this stuff, including specific technology to prevent mixing at all for critical applications. There are also agreements for certain pipeline operators as to what to do with the stuff, and how much the processing company has to pay for it. Some distributors even do it themselves with fairly simple distillation equipment.

Quote:
http://alliedenergycorp.com/transmix-processing/

Transmix is received by either pipeline or tanker truck and is offloaded through a filter and meter into our storage tank. Product is then pumped from the tank through a second filter and onto a process heater. The heater is a natural gas-fired unit that raises the product temperature to approximately 475 F, creating steam which is separated in a distillation column. The light ends (gasoline) go overhead and the heavy ends (diesel) are taken off from the bottom of the column. A recycle stream is used to maintain temperature and quality in the column. The finished streams are sampled and sent to our onsite lab for testing and certification. Once certified, the product is resold through our terminal.

As you may tell from my location, Wawa started out here.

While I hated when they moved from the corner dairy store to the mega-gas station model, their gas stations here are extraordinarily busy. Wawa gas spends very little time in the ground.

Most of our gassers run best on 93 octane, or I'd use them more. But where we've used it, Wawa gas ran as well as any of the majors (BP, Shell & Sunoco in these parts).

I would run several tanks before drawing any conclusions. If there is a major additive difference from what the engine had been running (unlikely), perhaps there are some detergent interactions still going on.

Same here Volvo , Use to live in Philly and had no issues at all with the WAWA bird . lol

y_p_w, thanks for the info on the transmix. That's exactly what was being done in the Reno area. There was a lot of it, as I was told that there was some issue(I can't recall) with the pipeline from California over the Sierras to Reno that precluded the use of pigs.

I'm sure it meets minimum standards. The info I passed on as to the quality was the educated opinion of a fellow picky motor head.

Ed

Any individual gas station can have bad gas while others do not, due to condensation or water infiltration. Infiltration can happen from something as simple as a poorly secured or sealed tank fill cap and a good soaking rain. As already commented, the very busy stations are better, because there is less time for the condensation to build up, but the tank levels still cycle and still need make-up air and that make-up air has water humidity in it the outside air has.

But what does water have to do with poor fuel economy?

Ethanol gas like E10 doesn't suspend water in gas like methanol (dry gas) does. Quite the opposite it phase separates and pulls itself and the water from the gas in a separate layer. On top of that it is hydrophyllic and sucks the humidity out of the air. If, during a fillup, you draw from that phase separation layer, you get something like E15 or E20 or worse, with extra water.

Modern engines will self-adjust and deal with the high E and low gas content, but of course high E gas has lower energy content per unit. Thus lower fuel economy.

So one possible explanatation for your low fuel economy is that you're running something like E15 or E20 with extra water. As long as you keep driving it'll keep the water mixed up enough to burn OK.

My pickup gets only weekly use and sometimes skips a week. When using E10 it would rough start, stumble and cough and even die for several minutes after starting. If I took it for a long drive it would run fine for the rest of the day, then a week later with no fill-up do the same thing on startup. It did this for 2 years.

Once I switched to e-free gas the problem went away, with no other changes performed to the engine or tune-up. The problem was condensation and phase separation using E10 gas.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Any individual gas station can have bad gas while others do not, due to condensation or water infiltration. Infiltration can happen from something as simple as a poorly secured or sealed tank fill cap and a good soaking rain. As already commented, the very busy stations are better, because there is less time for the condensation to build up, but the tank levels still cycle and still need make-up air and that make-up air has water humidity in it the outside air has.

But what does water have to do with poor fuel economy?

Ethanol gas like E10 doesn't suspend water in gas like methanol (dry gas) does. Quite the opposite it phase separates and pulls itself and the water from the gas in a separate layer. On top of that it is hydrophyllic and sucks the humidity out of the air. If, during a fillup, you draw from that phase separation layer, you get something like E15 or E20 or worse, with extra water.

Modern engines will self-adjust and deal with the high E and low gas content, but of course high E gas has lower energy content per unit. Thus lower fuel economy.

So one possible explanatation for your low fuel economy is that you're running something like E15 or E20 with extra water. As long as you keep driving it'll keep the water mixed up enough to burn OK.

My pickup gets only weekly use and sometimes skips a week. When using E10 it would rough start, stumble and cough and even die for several minutes after starting. If I took it for a long drive it would run fine for the rest of the day, then a week later with no fill-up do the same thing on startup. It did this for 2 years.

Once I switched to e-free gas the problem went away, with no other changes performed to the engine or tune-up. The problem was condensation and phase separation using E10 gas.
This is a good explanation. My current tank of wawa gas seems to be doing much better than the previous fill up. Possibly it did contain more ethanol. My maxima' fuel diet for most of its life has been sunoco. Sometimes wawa, once in a while exxon. So 70% sunoco, 20% wawa, 10% of whatever. And i am never touching shell,that stuff just dissapears from my gas tank. To a couple of other comments thank you for your input.
Oh and i was a bit [censored] when i made this thread so i kind off had to vent a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back