Walmart Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The people working at Walmart make more money and have the option of profit sharing than the people at Target. And they have better health benefits.

Think of that next time you say Target is 'better'.

Nor has Target been demonized in the media for every perceived shortcoming since defeating an attempt to unionize their employees.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Would you not have informed them of the tranny filter before hand, I always let any mechanic know of anything such as this.

Never take anything for granted, and never assume anything, to do either of them is folly.

If you need to inform them that the car also has a transmission filter, what else do you need to inform them about? Should the vehicle owner show them the correct dipstick? The correct oil fill hole? What if they're changing tires-does the vehicle owner need to inform them that the vehicle has 4 tires? Should the owner stand at the side of the vehicle and, as the mechanic is changing the oil, babysit them? If they also include topping off windshield washer fluid, does the owner need to inform the mechanic that there is also a radiator and that they should not add washer fluid to it?

Something like a transmission filter is more than obvious; there's no reason why anyone who touches the underside of a car wouldn't know the difference in the filters unless it's someone who has no qualifications whatsoever and has no business playing mechanic at a Walmart.

A customer has a reasonable expectation that whoever the shop has working on their car knows the difference between a transmission filter and an engine oil filter. Trying to shift the blame off Walmart is the only folly here.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

A customer has a reasonable expectation that whoever the shop has working on their car knows the difference between a transmission filter and an engine oil filter. Trying to shift the blame off Walmart is the only folly here.

Good statement.

If one is in business the consumer can reasonably expect that business to know what they are doing, if they screw it up, they need to make that customer whole again. But time and time again you see auto repair places trying to "stick it" to the customer when they screw up, hoping the consumer will just "go away".
No wonder this industry has the well deserved reputation for being one of the sleazist.

Would you not have informed them of the tranny filter before hand, I always let any mechanic know of anything such as this.

Never take anything for granted, and never assume anything, to do either of them is folly.

If you need to inform them that the car also has a transmission filter, what else do you need to inform them about? Should the vehicle owner show them the correct dipstick? The correct oil fill hole? What if they're changing tires-does the vehicle owner need to inform them that the vehicle has 4 tires? Should the owner stand at the side of the vehicle and, as the mechanic is changing the oil, babysit them? If they also include topping off windshield washer fluid, does the owner need to inform the mechanic that there is also a radiator and that they should not add washer fluid to it?

Something like a transmission filter is more than obvious; there's no reason why anyone who touches the underside of a car wouldn't know the difference in the filters unless it's someone who has no qualifications whatsoever and has no business playing mechanic at a Walmart.

It should be painfully obvious when the filter is bright red and says "TRANSMISSION" on it. Here's one I dissected about a week ago.

This exactly.

There are plenty of people who know absolutely nothing about cars who expect that the people whom they are paying to do a job will do it correctly. One of my Ex-GFs had a car that was a 5 speed. She went to a place to have her car serviced and came back with a bill for an ATF change. They charged her $49.99 for a service that couldn't possibly be performed on her car. She paid for it because she trusted the "professional" to know what he was doing, and that since he was a "professional" he would know when to change fluids in her particular vehicle. The same way we trust Cable TV guys, Dentists, and Pilots to do their job, because they are the experts, and they know how to do things we can't.

If someone can't do a job that they are getting paid to do, they shouldn't be doing it. There are really no excuses for Wal-Mart, and their management is the responsible party. I can change the oil in a car I've never touched before, and it takes me 1.3 seconds to look up the oil capacity, oil weight, and compatible filter numbers. There are even pictures showing where the drain plug and filters are. Not to mention the owners manual, All-Data, etc. This isn't an issue of not understanding how to do a job, this is laziness and incompetence. Sadly, it usually starts at management and works its way down.

How many vehicles out there have a transmission filter that looks like an oil filter, would it not be wise to alert them to that?

Obviously not in your mind, but then you also paid the consequences.

But then its possible the "expert" couldn't understand English anyway.

How many vehicles out there have a transmission filter that looks like an oil filter, would it not be wise to alert them to that?

It would seem so, but for all the BITOG members who would think to do that there are tons of customers that wouldn't know themselves, and again that is what you are paying these businesses to know!

Again no wonder why the auto repair industry has the sleaziest
reputations among consumers....they deserve it!

Because you're paying the business to be an expert. They are creating value for the customer by having their monkeys provide a service, sure, but that doesn't mean that superior knowledge of their skill isn't expected too.

When you consider how many cars a place like WM services, and how many issues they have, the ratio of problems has to be extremely tiny, like at the ppm level. So one can reasonably assume that the failures that have occurred by WM service techs are really minimal and this is more of a mountain out of a molehill type thing.

But the reality is that low-end retail doesn't exactly pull the greatest talent pool, and minimum wage or not, they aren't high paying jobs. And there has been enough lacking customer service, long lines, and odd people at wal mart to be sufficiently observed and noted by a large portion of the population. I'm sure that the greatest indys have had bad days and broken stuff or done things wrong. But a place like WM draws more attention because of their scale, ubiquitous nature, and real observations from the population at large. And having a bullseye on your back comes with the territory of being successful. wM just draws a bigger bullseye than some other successful companies because of some of the workers and crowds that are there. It is what it is. Some of it not deserved and wrong, some of it deserved and accurate.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
The people working at Walmart make more money and have the option of profit sharing than the people at Target. And they have better health benefits.

Think of that next time you say Target is 'better'.

Nor has Target been demonized in the media for every perceived shortcoming since defeating an attempt to unionize their employees.

That's another one. I believe Target actually takes STRONGER measures to make sure their employees do not unionize.

We were shown videos, had to take 'classes' on how bad unions were and sign paperwork stating that we were never going to entertain the idea of a union or we would face termination.

People that badmouth Walmart always get a quick response from me on how Target is just as bad, if not worse.

I worked for Target for 4 years. I refuse to spend money one.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Because you're paying the business to be an expert. They are creating value for the customer by having their monkeys provide a service, sure, but that doesn't mean that superior knowledge of their skill isn't expected too.

When you consider how many cars a place like WM services, and how many issues they have, the ratio of problems has to be extremely tiny, like at the ppm level. So one can reasonably assume that the failures that have occurred by WM service techs are really minimal and this is more of a mountain out of a molehill type thing.

But the reality is that low-end retail doesn't exactly pull the greatest talent pool, and minimum wage or not, they aren't high paying jobs. And there has been enough lacking customer service, long lines, and odd people at wal mart to be sufficiently observed and noted by a large portion of the population. I'm sure that the greatest indys have had bad days and broken stuff or done things wrong. But a place like WM draws more attention because of their scale, ubiquitous nature, and real observations from the population at large. And having a bullseye on your back comes with the territory of being successful. wM just draws a bigger bullseye than some other successful companies because of some of the workers and crowds that are there. It is what it is. Some of it not deserved and wrong, some of it deserved and accurate.

Can't argue with any of that.

One question, what is an Indy?

sign paperwork stating that we were never going to entertain the idea of a union or we would face termination

This is absolutely mind blowing. Can this truly be legal? Not doubting your story but did no one look up labor law and challenge this requirement for being hired? What state was this?

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
sign paperwork stating that we were never going to entertain the idea of a union or we would face termination

This is absolutely mind blowing. Can this truly be legal? Not doubting your story but did no one look up labor law and challenge this requirement for being hired? What state was this?

It was for existing employees as far as I know. But any sort of unionization talk and you're done. It just popped up one year and we all had to take the 'class' thing.

NY State.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Good statement.

If one is in business the consumer can reasonably expect that business to know what they are doing, if they screw it up, they need to make that customer whole again. But time and time again you see auto repair places trying to "stick it" to the customer when they screw up, hoping the consumer will just "go away".
No wonder this industry has the well deserved reputation for being one of the sleazist.

Both of you are spot on.

But you could reasonably expect someone at Walmart to screw something up.

And I will add to my expectations of mechanics the knowledge that people are either so embarrassed or incompetent that they won't tell you they put a hole into something whose purpose they misunderstood and left it like that.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

This exactly.

There are plenty of people who know absolutely nothing about cars who expect that the people whom they are paying to do a job will do it correctly. One of my Ex-GFs had a car that was a 5 speed. She went to a place to have her car serviced and came back with a bill for an ATF change. They charged her $49.99 for a service that couldn't possibly be performed on her car. She paid for it because she trusted the "professional" to know what he was doing, and that since he was a "professional" he would know when to change fluids in her particular vehicle. The same way we trust Cable TV guys, Dentists, and Pilots to do their job, because they are the experts, and they know how to do things we can't.

If someone can't do a job that they are getting paid to do, they shouldn't be doing it. There are really no excuses for Wal-Mart, and their management is the responsible party. I can change the oil in a car I've never touched before, and it takes me 1.3 seconds to look up the oil capacity, oil weight, and compatible filter numbers. There are even pictures showing where the drain plug and filters are. Not to mention the owners manual, All-Data, etc. This isn't an issue of not understanding how to do a job, this is laziness and incompetence. Sadly, it usually starts at management and works its way down.

I largely agree but you also need to factor in those excess charges are a matter of profit making policy / upselling. And the whole ruse of advertising a low price but it being very rarely attainable and being an upsell opportunity.

Ironically, part of the reason that the quality of work is so bad at a place like Walmart is that in a market as big as the US there's a race to the bottom for lowest price and hence cost to attract volume to make profit. With some things, it works against the consumer who wants quality work. Walmart is also affected by the aforementioned cheap oil changes outlets who use it as a ruse to upsell.

When asked for advice for where to get an oil change from someone I know who cannot do it themselves or hasn't time or knowledge to seek out good alternatives, either I point them to a good independent who I've used who knows their make or I tell them to look for online coupons from their nearest dealers and to get the free multipoint inspection. $30-$40 vs an advertised $20 place is worth the reduction in risk and improvement in work quality.

Recently, I learnt that someone we know got their Lexus oil changes at Jiffy Lube. I used to have the dealer do my Lexus oil change because there was always a $50 deal for oil change and rotation. Out of interest I looked up the procedure to change an oil filter on that model Lexus and I'm even more convinced that it's better to take it to a quality independent or a dealer. Just too much of an opportunity for it not to be changed or be done sloppily.

One question, what is an Indy?

Independent auto tech (and I meant really the valuable, well trained and highly expert ones, who still can also have bad days).

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back