Coolant for 68 plymouth 318

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slomo
Put the old copper and brass radiator back in the car. The new aluminum jobs don't cool as well and don't last either, most are Chinese made. Run the old school green antifreeze. As others said make sure it's not a newer formula that's green.

Clutch fans are fine. They are on millions of vehicles with zero cooling issues. A shroud enhances it's performance dramatically, get one if you go this route.

Use some Prestone Super Flush then later add some water pump lube/anti corrosion in the final coolant fill. This stuff enhances the corrosion properties of the coolant.

The effectiveness of a copper and brass radiator are determined by things like depth, surface area, and fin density. If there was a small brass radiator and it was replaced by a big aluminum one, the temperature drop could be greater. Also, country of origin also depends on the model of radiator, you can get an all aluminum Fluidyne made in the USA, and you can get a premium all aluminum Koyo that was made in Japan, unlike the rest of Koyo's radiators.

Originally Posted By: slomo
Put the old copper and brass radiator back in the car. The new aluminum jobs don't cool as well and don't last either, most are Chinese made. Run the old school green antifreeze. As others said make sure it's not a newer formula that's green.

While copper/brass may have better heat transfer properties, the newer aluminum units cool just as good or better than the old copper/brass ones. Why? They are designed better- more efficient. As for longevity? They commonly last 100k miles with no maintenance.

Every aluminum replacement that I have put in over the years has cooled perfectly. Applications range from hi-po cars (stock and non-stock), import and light truck. One of the last retrofits I did was on my own '79 Ford truck. The stock rad was gunked up from years of neglect. Flushed the system out and replaced the rad with an alum/plastic unit. No matter what I'm doing, it the temp stays right where it should be.

And you can get the fan setup from every mopar v8 that has a clutch setup as long as it doesent have a serpentine drive.
A smblk truck is a good donor.
If you for some reason fall in love with the serpentine setup
be sure you use the waterpump thats designed to turn backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back