What is the reason behind "better" reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am under the impression that Aisin (Toyota?) and BorgWarner (GM?) make more reliable automatic transmission than their competitors (i.e. Honda, ZF, Chrysler). This seems to be at least the common perception in the last couple decades.

I would imagine patents that old are expired and they should be able to all make reliable transmission for a long time by now.

who actually wants a 4sp?

5,6,7,8,9 speeds are where it is @; not.

Two coworkers bought Skyactiv Mazda 3s with a 6sp; one transmission has failed under warranty, the other takes 10 seconds to shift into reverse; dealer says "no issue".... yaaaaaah.

Last edited:
GM doesn't own BW. Tremec/BW transmissions are used in a variety of makes including Ford and Chrysler.

Aisin is 30% owned by Toyota.

GM makes their own automatic transmissions, just like Ford. Hence GM Powertrain.

They know how to make a reliable transmission-- they just choose to make them smooth shifting with a zillion speeds and variable lockup and 400 lbs/ft of torque going in while sitting sideways in a minivan.

Didn't the Chevette 4 speed TH200C wind up in full size Olds Cutlasses?

The coolest thing to happen reliability wise IMO is cutting engine power during shifts.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I am under the impression that Aisin (Toyota?) and BorgWarner (GM?) make more reliable automatic transmission than their competitors (i.e. Honda, ZF, Chrysler). This seems to be at least the common perception in the last couple decades.

I agree

I would imagine patents that old are expired and they should be able to all make reliable transmission for a long time by now.

Quality improvements are subject to the competing factors of; organizational structures, personalities, employees / teams / managers, budgets, priorities, management dictates, corporate learning, culture etc etc. Just look at the GM ignition key debacle.

What should happen and what seems obvious, sometimes doesn't. Ultimately it's a management failure though.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
...GM makes their own automatic transmissions, just like Ford. Hence GM Powertrain.

Of course GM and Ford have been collaborating on transmissions.

Strange bedfellows sometimes.
smile.gif

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news....ansmission.html

True. Lots of mixed opinions on the end result too
smile.gif

True. No real issues with the 6F550 in the SHO - 78k and it still snaps off shifts like the day it was born.
smile.gif
I've driven some 6F's in the Fusion and other than a harsh 1-2, at 60-somethingK in a rental it still shifted fine. You don't hear too many complaints about the 6F behind the Edge, Flex, Explorer, and Taurus either.

They do weird things - but so do others.

Not patents, it is obsessive attention to detail and extreme quality control, the Japanese way...

Whatever tranny is in my cruze is total junk! Takes forever to shift into reverse and does it in a very jerking motion. Not to mention it has a horrible habit of downshifting to 5th when I take my foot off the gas..

And can you show the data that that supports this impression?

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Not patents, it is obsessive attention to detail and extreme quality control, the Japanese way...

And that explains Borg Warner (referenced in the OP) how?

And it certainly doesn't explain Honda's transmissions, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

And that explains Borg Warner (referenced in the OP) how?

And it certainly doesn't explain Honda's transmissions, LOL!
grin.gif

I should have said the Toyota way.
wink.gif

I think it comes down to the disconnect between accountants and engineers; with the [censored] products being more cheaply manufactured or cheaply designed (or varying degrees of both).

I doubt any company out there strives for the most garbage product, it just sort of happens as a consequence of other priorities (such as greed)

I have the 5R55E in my Ranger and love it. I did put an upgraded valve body in it. 148k and shifts firm all day long. These are problematic from the factory though.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I have the 5R55E in my Ranger and love it. I did put an upgraded valve body in it. 148k and shifts firm all day long. These are problematic from the factory though.

Ford did correct the issues around '01/'02. My later production '02 shifts great at 155K miles. The filter and gasket are the only parts that have ever been changed on the transmission. I like that the trans is very responsive to throttle pedal input. Also the "adaptive shifting" is quick, but seamless. It really was one of the most advanced domestic transmissions of its time, which is ironic considering what it was installed in.

I suspect many of these transmissions have been diagnosed as "bad," when in reality easily repairable valve body issues were the real culprit.

Isn't that part of the problem? Ok, initial reliability / not breaking at all is a good thing. But I wonder how much we'd gripe about problems if more of them were the "oh it's a $5 fix" rather than "that'll be $2,500 to replace the whole thing, there is no way to fix/diagnose it."

Yet IIRC the Aisin's seem to both run hot and known to be power hogs. [Probably one and the same issue.] Others avoid the heat and eek out better mpg/power loss #'s. Yet seem to be less reliable. Like everything, there seems to be tradeoffs, and perhaps Aisin simply erred on the side of long term reliability?

Of course, this impression is based upon the designs they had 5+ years ago. I'm curious how the new GM 6spds (and now 8) hold up, once they build a few million and start getting units with more than 200k on them, to compare to the 4L60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back