Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I classify as best, is who raises an emotional response out of me....who makes the hair stick up on the back of my neck....who can bring tears of happiness to my face:

1.) Trey Anastaio from Phish (Hence my internet handle)
2.) Stevie Ray Vaughn
3.) Tommy Emmanuel

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Mark Knopfler has some skills.

Yeah, it seems like he may have played once or twice...
grin.gif

IMO, there is no 'best', but to me (a non-guitarist), I admire the skills of guys who can play the things that sound the most difficult to me:

Herman Li
Sam Totman
Mark Knopfler
Eddie Van Halen
Kirk Hammett

No love for Carlos Santana?!

I have many I like depending on mood. Clapton is toward the top of my list. Here's a fun video!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...estine-20101202

Too many of my favorites were left off of this list and I disagree with many of the top honors and the placing of the members that were listed!

Al DiMeola
Steve Hackett
Rich Williams
Paco De Lucia

Rolling Stone leans toward the blues. Eddie Van Halen at 70th?
Steve Howe somewhere in the 60's? Alex Lifeson not on the list at all, but Kirk Hammett (whom he influenced) at 11?

Rolling Stone didn't lean enough toward the blues enough to include Albert King on that original ranking, its most egregious error. Albert was a huge influence on Stevie Ray.

Lately I've been listening a lot to Telecaster wizard James Burton.

Question of OP is way too subjective.
One can only ask about someone's FAVORITE, and not world's best.

MY favorite is David Gilmour.

MY "favorite" Overrated guitarists are: Clapton, Page, Malsteem, Kirk Hammet (sp?), Satriani.

MY favorite underrated guitarists: Peter Green, Gary Moore, Lindsey Buckingham, Steve Rothery, John Fruciante, Steve Winwood, Steven Wilson

Joseph "Joe" Satriani (born July 15, 1956)[1] is an American instrumental rock guitarist and multi-instrumentalist. Early in his career, Satriani worked as a guitar instructor, with many of his former students achieving fame, such as Steve Vai, Larry LaLonde, Rick Hunolt, Kirk Hammett, Andy Timmons, Charlie Hunter, Kevin Cadogan, and Alex Skolnick.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Question of OP is way too subjective.

Open question, elicits more responses, gives the OP unconstrained input and enables him to explore things he might have been closed to.

Makes for a more interesting thread too.

I haven't clicked on it (at work) but I am guessing that's an overplayed convoluted version of "While my guitar gently weeps" ?
wink.gif

J.k - i know it's all a matter of preference - again, all this is way too dependent on individual taste.
That said, Prince can play a mean guitar, but tends to overplay a bit, iMo.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I haven't clicked on it (at work) but I am guessing that's an overplayed convoluted version of "While my guitar gently weeps" ?
wink.gif

J.k - i know it's all a matter of preference - again, all this is way too dependent on individual taste.
That said, Price can play a mean guitar, but tends to overplay a bit, iMo.

Of course. It's all about individual taste. Thought I'd share something that others could relate to more easily compared to his guitar solos in "Dolphin" and "Gold" (which are less overplayed!).

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...estine-20101202

Too many of my favorites were left off of this list and I disagree with many of the top honors and the placing of the members that were listed!

Al DiMeola
Steve Hackett
Rich Williams
Paco De Lucia

Curt Cobain made that list(Top20)? He was a terrible guitar player IMHO.

I'm a Metal fan, Here is my list

Dave Mustaine
Darrel Abbott(Dimebag)
Zakk Wylde
Randy Rhoads

This version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps was the first time I heard Prince on guitar. I was blown away. Never really listened to anything by him.

My all time favorite version of the song is the version with Eric Clapton on lead/singing from the "Concert for George".

Though I gotta add this...

In the version with Prince above, while it is good, I feel he is just playing the song. Nothing more.

The Clapton version (I put it below), I feel he is living it. He was one of the originators of the song. He played lead on the Beatles original and was good friends with Harrison. It's as if he's saying goodbye to a friend through the solos.

redhat- thank you for posting! Very COOL!

I think what I find more interesting than the hottest solo from whatever artist, is the absolutely PERFECT harmony that these musicians play in. Two drummers tied together at the hip, making every note perfectly together one second, then going their own way for a few notes, then back together... One guitar not enough? Make it 6... All in harmony... The whole band watching for hints, looks and other subtle or not subtle cues to start or stop their solo or change in direction.

Now THAT is the what makes a great show! A good tight band.

And for what it's worth, I think I favor the first posting of "While my guitar gently weeps" with the Prince solo, over played or not. Not sure if it's because I saw that one first many years ago, or if it's because I like a good hot solo?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back