Low compression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fleet truck.
2011 1/2 ton with 5.7 hemi.
>220,000 mi.
Desert driving conditions with lots of dirt roads.
3000 mi OCI with a quality oil and filter
air filter changed as well every 3000 mi.
Air entry point maintained in good working order.
Visual inspection of air cleaner looks to have plenty of life at 3000 mi.
Truck went to shop and needs a new engine. Low compression.
Shop say's engine dusted.

What would you say the change interval of the air cleaner should be?

Last edited:
You could try to use a gauge to measure the delta across the element and change when it starts going up. Sound like it would be worth trouble.

Also look around for air leaks in the system. Paper elements really do a good job.

Changing an air filter at 3k miles? I agree with OneEyeJack- install a gauge and change when needed. A used filter does a better job than a new one. Also less intrusion to the intake tract is a good thing- less contaminates get in.

It seems to me that there have been some members that have shown a spike in silicone in their UOA's after an air filter change.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Changing an air filter at 3k miles? I agree with OneEyeJack- install a gauge and change when needed. A used filter does a better job than a new one. Also less intrusion to the intake tract is a good thing- less contaminates get in.

It seems to me that there have been some members that have shown a spike in silicone in their UOA's after an air filter change.

Agree. Used air filters have a higher filtration efficiency. Jim Allen talked to one of the big filter manufacturers about this and they told hims some interesting numbers, though I don't remember off the top of my head.
Changing by restriction indicator allows you to change the filter only when the air flow across the filter is restricted to the point it can cause a problem.
Also; who changed the air filter and can you confirm it was never 'blown out' with shop air?

Shop sees a dusty dirty truck and thinks "aha! Easy sale of a new engine?"

What problems sent it to the shop in the first place?

He says it has "low compression".
A pressure differential gauge is the best way to tell when you need a new air filter. Don't change it when it starts to show some restriction, wait till it shows around 15" of H2o restriction. That way you'll get the most out of the filter, help keep dirt out and keep the engine in top shape.

I have over 85k miles on my air filter in my S2000 and I think I'll have to change it out do to age rather than to much restriction.

ROD

The truck is probably on it's way to mexico by now. I agree with all of you who said change it less often and install a restriction gauge.
I bet you can all guess what the recommendation is.

Something may have happened to the engine, but it wasn't due to your maintenance routine. Chagning the air filter element every 3k in severe condtions (such as desert operation) seems perfectly feasible in my mind.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Something may have happened to the engine, but it wasn't due to your maintenance routine. Chagning the air filter element every 3k in severe condtions (such as desert operation) seems perfectly feasible in my mind.

Please explain the thinking behind it.

My experience with a fleet I used to manage is that, depending upon how hard they are worked, they might just be 'worn out' by that time.

Quote:
A used filter does a better job than a new one.
To a point. At some point the dirt particles work their way through the filter media. Even worse, the filter clogs heavily and bursts open.

The gauge is the smart way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back