Ridgeline leaking coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Sorry. McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com

Yes Plastic radiator connectors are a real problem, Worm type clamps do not keep tension on the hose when the weather turns cold they leak.
Constant tension clamps maintain tension throughout a wide temperature range without digging into the hose.

Hylomar is a real help on all hose connections and worth keeping in stock, it last a long time in the tube even after its been opened.

Trav, what do you think of the thermal band clamps from Gates? I've itching to give these things a try. Of course the one big drawback is one time use only, but they're supposed to maintain a constant tension, even in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Trav
Sorry. McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com

Yes Plastic radiator connectors are a real problem, Worm type clamps do not keep tension on the hose when the weather turns cold they leak.
Constant tension clamps maintain tension throughout a wide temperature range without digging into the hose.

Hylomar is a real help on all hose connections and worth keeping in stock, it last a long time in the tube even after its been opened.

Trav, what do you think of the thermal band clamps from Gates? I've itching to give these things a try. Of course the one big drawback is one time use only, but they're supposed to maintain a constant tension, even in cold weather.

update:
I bought a honda oem rad, it is sitting in my kitchen now :)
I want to bench test it to check for leaks.

so, block the bottom, fill it with water, keep the tranny connectors covered?

I think I will use a regular hose clamp for how to solve the leak and then when I do replace the rad I will use a constant tension clamp.

FYI: I don't think it leaked cuz of cold/hot but the locking mechanism corroded and the clamp is NOT providing any tension.

I'd think of using a bicycle tube and some hose clamps, pump it up and see if it holds air pressure. Squirt with soapy water if necessary.

What washers are you going to use? I know the problem was disimilar metals, wanted to make sure you had that covered/fixed while you have had it apart (so you don't do it again in a few years).

Originally Posted By: RichR
There are better options than another OEM radiator.
Spectra comes to mind.
Spend some time reading on http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com
All the info about what to be on the lookout for
concerning the Ridgeline.

RichR, I agree, but I have THE worst luck in using honda orig parts. so I bought an oem radiators.

supton, the new rad comes with the fittings already attached with washers. I have no idea what washers they are using. good questions. I think the problem child had 2 washers.
I think the new one has only 1 washer.
I will post pics tomorrow.

here is the new rad,
I bought an oem radiator off ebay, I am not sure if it is oem, how do I tell?
here is what the washer looks like.

CoPB8Xu.jpg

The first answer is that it would say Honda on the box. The component may or may not say Honda, an OEM A/C condenser I bought did not say Honda on the part but it was all over the box (and I bought it directly from a dealer).

BMW and Toyota mold their logo into virtually every part on the car, especially BMW. But I haven't seen that to be the case for Honda. Some parts do, some parts don't.

Bottom line though the box would say Honda.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
here is the new rad,
I bought an oem radiator off ebay, I am not sure if it is oem, how do I tell?

update:
the rad I bought was a honda oem, it is made by denso,
I sprayed clear coat on the atf connection washers, I guess nail polish would have worked also.
I had the dealer do the work for $245,
I kept the old one, I will take it apart next week and post pics.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
update:
the rad I bought was a honda oem, it is made by denso,
I sprayed clear coat on the atf connection washers, I guess nail polish would have worked also.
I had the dealer do the work for $245,
I kept the old one, I will take it apart next week and post pics.

Denso is the OEM for most Honda applications. Their
after market version is called First Time Fit.

update:

I had Honda replace the radiator with an OEM denso (thanks antiqueshell) rad. I kept the old rad.

1. The washers in the trans fluid attachments where rusty and little bit corroded but I could not budge them when I pulled or twisted with my fingers.

2. So hindsight, 7 years in Michigan winters the rad worked and would NOT have had a catastrophic failure. That is good news.

3. So the new one will last atleast 7 more years more.

4. I sprayed clear coat on each transmission line attachment on the new radiator.

5. come spring I will wash and spray WD corrosion inhibitor

here are the pics of the old rad.
0KEggen.jpg

ydItvXw.jpg

FYI: the atf you see was inside the rad, when I tilted it to take the pic, atf was coming out of the rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back