Manufacturing defect? Dunlop m-cycle tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it ever even determined if the tire is actually bad? Does the slit go perpendicularly into the tire or could you have ridden over a razor blade in a seam in the road? Does it ride any differently or make any noise?

I'm trying to be neutral here when I say that Dunlop appears to have done what they could have, by inspecting the tire and (I assume) deeming it safe to ride on.

OP were you looking for them to give you a brand new tire?

It's good to be cautious about this type of thing, but I think this is a case where you didn't have heavy enough burden on Dunlop to pursue a case. Had you been riding and the tire blew out for reasons other than improper inflation and road debris, then I suspect you'd have gotten their attention right away.

Most companies, including the good ones we love, do not have the time or money to please everyone's limits of caution -- they would go flat broke if they did.

It is a defective tire, and it is clearly showing the result of a flaw in the manufacturing process. There are pictures on the first two pages of this thread.

The tire will not be going back on the bike. It is done.

I'm thankful to God that I got the tire off of the bike before it had a chance to kill me. But since nothing bad happened, Dunlop doesn't really care.

I was looking to recoup what are my losses here, and Dunlop refuses to provide that. So, no more Dunlop tires and no more Goodyear tires. It is that simple.

I told the Dunlop rep that he could mail me whatever paperwork or offer that he wanted, but I'll likely throw it away, as I'm done with them. I doubt he'll even make the effort.

It is truly a crummy company to deal with, when they've put your safety and welfare at risk with a defective product.

At least Firestone has the guts to come across when they build [censored] tires... and they've got experience at that, as they've made millions and millions of [censored] tires in the past.

Just so everyone understands:

First, that tire was in no danger of failing. It would have lasted its normal life span. It would NOT have suffered a catastrophic failure, nor was anyone in danger.

What the "defect" was is the junction at the ends of the tread when it is wrapped around the rest of the casing. That junction (called a splice) creates an area that is different than the rest of the tread - and it is prone to having issues, particularly in high torque applications.

In the manufacturing process, that splice can be treated in a number of different ways, before the tire is cured (vulcanized). Some treatments are more effective than others - and there is a cost associated with each of these treatments - some more costly than others. Which treatment to use is a matter of the application (the vehicle and the way it is used.) and it is gauged by feedback from the marketplace.

I'm confused.

If this tire is in no danger of failing, then what does this mean?

"Nothing to worry about - unless it continues to grow." (Response #3, page 2)

So, then what happens if it continues to grow? (but when there's no danger of failing?)

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Well, I went through the inspection process with Dunlop, but (surprise, surprise) Dunlop isn't too interested in taking care of the problem here, so I'm done with them. Yet another example of "Customer No-Service".

I had a similar experience with Dunlop, trying to get a local Goodyear facility to take back nearly brand new tires that were IMO defective, alas, Dunlop/Goodyear did not think so. I swore not to buy another Dunlop/Goodyear product. That was 8 years ago.

Plenty of other good tires out there.

It is a defective tire, and it is clearly showing the result of a flaw in the manufacturing process. There are pictures on the first two pages of this thread.

The tire will not be going back on the bike. It is done.

I'm thankful to God that I got the tire off of the bike before it had a chance to kill me. But since nothing bad happened, Dunlop doesn't really care.

I was looking to recoup what are my losses here, and Dunlop refuses to provide that. So, no more Dunlop tires and no more Goodyear tires. It is that simple.

I told the Dunlop rep that he could mail me whatever paperwork or offer that he wanted, but I'll likely throw it away, as I'm done with them. I doubt he'll even make the effort.

It is truly a crummy company to deal with, when they've put your safety and welfare at risk with a defective product.

At least Firestone has the guts to come across when they build [censored] tires... and they've got experience at that, as they've made millions and millions of [censored] tires in the past.

Is this what Dunlop said about the tire or is it your personal opinion? Bear in mind that you went through the work to contact your local Dunlop rep and showed it to him/her. Do you work in the tire industry or have a background in rubber?

That they didn't give you anything makes me inclined to think you are being extra cautious and the tire is fine to ride on. You have every right to be this cautious, but why would you badmouth a company for not bowing to your every whim? Dunlop needs to stay in business too and part of this requires them to make a risk/cost assessment.

If the defect was severe enough, like the tread peeling away from the core, then they (and any tire company) would gladly honor the warranty.

Last edited:
I'm confused.

If this tire is in no danger of failing, then what does this mean?

"Nothing to worry about - unless it continues to grow." (Response #3, page 2)

So, then what happens if it continues to grow? (but when there's no danger of failing?)

First, I am providing a way out in case I am wrong. It's a thing I do to maintain my own sense of credibility.

But the odds of the thing continue to open up is almost Zero. I have never seen it, but I don't want to discount the possibility that it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back