Used Michelin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah...getting ready to throw some tires on the wife's Cavalier. I'm sure as you know, the choices a sure shrinking in 14 inch tires...

At this point I was pretty much set on either Yoko Avid Touring S, or the Altimax RT43 (if I could order them)at DT. I'm not going crazy for this car, as I'll be happy if I can get a few more years out of it....

I called a few more places to see what I could get. One place told me that they had 3 nearly new Michelin Defenders that they would install at 45 bucks a tire. Told the reason they are so cheap is that no one comes in for this tire size, and if they do, want the 10 buck special...

I'm planning to go check them out...check the depth, and the date. I doubt I would get all 3, just as I would not want two different mileage tires on the same axle. If by some chance they are good as the sound, I could grab 2, then pick up a few more a little farther down the road, having a full set with some savings. I would be okay with this because if they are close enough, this car will be longer gone before I get anywhere near the wear bars....

Mind you, I'm just looking, but I figure it cannot hurt to just take a peek....it's about the only way a michelin tire would ever end up on this car....

I've always been reluctant to consider used tires, but if it's a reputable place and they guarantee the work and you get remainder of a warranty, why not?

The only thing is tire rack survey rates them on the low side for snow...

Last edited:
Personally, I'd get brand new tires of another brand than used Michelins. It's the tread depth that matters in this case, even if it's just for a couple years. New tires in this size are fairly inexpensive. And there is a $50 rebate on Altimax RT43 right now.

Back when I was a poor college kid, I'd buy used tires. Never again.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Personally, I'd get brand new tires of another brand than used Michelins. It's the tread depth that matters in this case, even if it's just for a couple years. New tires in this size are fairly inexpensive. And there is a $50 rebate on Altimax RT43 right now.

Back when I was a poor college kid, I'd buy used tires. Never again.

Yeah, it is just an idea I thought about. I've never put used tires on any of my cars...always new. I really would like to make sure these tires do okay this winter. Her Kelly Navs have always done pretty well, until the tread started to drop down more this year. She had a hard time just getting it in the driveway during a few of the bigger storms...
frown.gif

That's the thing - most tires become fairly useless in the snow by the time they're half worn. Plus, with age, the rubber hardens and also becomes less effective in low temps and snow. You want fresh and full tread.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's the thing - most tires become fairly useless in the snow by the time they're half worn. Plus, with age, the rubber hardens and also becomes less effective in low temps and snow. You want fresh and full tread.

Never a better point kind sir.
smile.gif

Walmart has brand new Goodyear Integrity's (USA made) on their website that you order to the store and have them picked up for $49. I did this for my Camry 2 months ago. Decent tires, 2 weeks after I got them I went on a 3,000 mile road trip and I have no complaints.

Maybe bring along a tread depth gauge too, some actual measurements will help you decide if its worth it.
My local used tire guy sells any 14" tire for $45, all in, so perhaps you can find another pair of something good to put on as well. Or look around online to find a mounted set of snows on rims for your car. Then you run the summers down quite low if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back