New VW 1.8T recall...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Out of curiosity, does anyone KNOW what oil this takes?

Anything that meets VW 502.00 spec, for example, M1 0w-40.

Quote:
The new mill replaced the despised 2.5-liter five-cylinder

Despised? I thought they were fairly decent and bullet-proof engines. Being somewhat low-tech was actually a good thing - no turbo and DI to worry about. Sheesh...

The auto-journalist claims about the 2.5 being hated are getting old and overblown.

It wasn't a high- tech engine, but after the first couple years they were very reliable. The early ones had timing chain issues.

The 2.5 I5 is a pretty solid engine. No personality, but it gets the job done with minimal fuss. It also sounds cool.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

Despised? I thought they were fairly decent and bullet-proof engines. Being somewhat low-tech was actually a good thing - no turbo and DI to worry about. Sheesh...

Not everyone considers reliability as a factor since so many people trade cars at 50-100,000 miles. Where on this forum reliability is a virtue. It makes me feel good to drive a car to 200k and have no issues with it and trade it in still looking better than average.

Originally Posted By: Doog
It makes me feel good to drive a car to 200k and have no issues with it and trade it in still looking better than average.

+1000.

Quote:

I know, I actually like the 2.5 I5. Pretty reliable and it sounded cool. I dont know why it receives the criticism it does.

Out of curiosity, does anyone KNOW what oil this takes?

Anything that meets VW 502.00 spec, for example, M1 0w-40.

I figured, I was not sure though. I havent seen it it writing anywhere. Was wondering if VW went with a 0w20 like most cars these days.

Quote:

I know, I actually like the 2.5 I5. Pretty reliable and it sounded cool. I dont know why it receives the criticism it does.

It's because when you consider how much fuel it consumes, and it's size, it should put out much better performance. I agree tho, it was a very stout little mill that turned out respectable reliability when compared to the turbo engines from VW

Kinda like the old 2.0 4 cyl that was made in Mexico for the City Golf (a Canada only car). Abysmal fuel economy and only turned out about 115hp. Great numbers for 1985, not so in the 2000's

I had an 84 Audi 4000 Quattro 5 cylinder that ate water pumps and an electrical system that ate batteries and alternators until I added a dozen or so ground straps chasing bad grounds and wired the fuel pump around the fuse block with it's own set of fuses. It was a great running and driving car but maintenance wise it was a nuance.

Quote:

Its always the same. The newer shinier toy is loved. Then ten years from now...'that vaunted, bulletproof 5cyl enhine is missed, etc..'

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Quote:

It's because when you consider how much fuel it consumes, and it's size, it should put out much better performance. I agree tho, it was a very stout little mill that turned out respectable reliability when compared to the turbo engines from VW

Kinda like the old 2.0 4 cyl that was made in Mexico for the City Golf (a Canada only car). Abysmal fuel economy and only turned out about 115hp. Great numbers for 1985, not so in the 2000's

They still make the 2.0, and it still has around 115 HP.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

You can still but that abysmal motor for modern cars. It comes in the base level 2014/2015 Jetta. $2k savings not well spent for 1980's tech.

Quote:

Because automotive journalists today are verbose morons who write whatever their editors tell them the advertisers would like said that month.

I no of NO ONE in the real world who doesn't like the VW five banger. We owned one and it was a fine, frisky engine with a little character. Not as refined as the Volvo five, but fun enough. And sturdy.

The only ones who have anything bad to say about it are automotive journalists. Likely furthering their agenda to encourage sales of its replacement.

Why anyone reads their fawning tripe anymore is beyond me.

They don't hate every incarnation of the 2.5 I5:

2012-audi-tt-rs-engine.jpg

I wonder if this article writer confused the 2.5L I-5 with the 8-valve 2.0L 4-cylinder that came out a few years ago with the Jetta. In nearly every article I've read about the newer VWs, the 2.5L I-5 was the preferred engine by far.

My wife, with me along for the ride, test drove several VW Beetles a month or so ago. She drove the 2.5l model first. She is by no means a car enthusiast, but within the first 1/4 mile of the test drive she was shaking her head no because she felt there was very little power. Since, at the time, a Beetle was an option for a replacement vehicle, I encouraged her to drive another model with the turbo model that was to replace the 2.5l. What a difference. It felt like we had been shot out of a cannon and she really liked it. We ended up with neither in the end. I would have been happy with the 2.5l from a simplicity standpoint, but from a performance standpoint, there was no comparison.

Quote:

Yeah but nobody likes bullet-proof and low-tech these days. It has to be high-tech and break often to be loved. The Ford Ecoboost is one example. Great engine until it started having carbon build-up on the valves. There are a few youtube videos about it. The current fix is to replace the cylinder heads per TSB. Doing a cleaning will burn up the turbos. I wonder how long someone will own a vehicle if they keep having to replace cylinder heads every 4 years.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back